Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Million Miler Doesn’t Reward Long Term Loyalty... Learn From My Mistake

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Million Miler Doesn’t Reward Long Term Loyalty... Learn From My Mistake

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2019, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by hedoman
For the Lifetime plats out there frustrated with lowly placement on upgrade list. Mine cleared with 48 hours out. Should I mention it's a 12:50 AM departure RNO-DFW? AND my preferred coach seat has vanished. Connecting flight to MIA should have me number 35 on upgrade list. I'd rather be number 35 than 2. Much more relaxing and I never choose AA if I cannot book a decent coach seat.
I managed one last Labor Day from LAX-DFW. DFW is extremely tough.
I also managed a comp AS upgrade out of DAL (VIrgin plane) to LAX on the Friday outbound. I had Gold AS status at the time after a status match.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by fotographer
Just finished my morning cuppa, interesting posts from everyone, but just wondering, why do we chase status on airlines with so much passion. ( I am now, not really bothered that much)
its not like any airline will treat us like family /friends.. is it a boost for our ego's to say that we are EXP this, or DM that or lifetime gold on BA?
Does having status with hotels, car rentals, etc really make us feel better about ourselves?
anyway, just thinking
Because this is the easiest (and probably only) way people are be a somewhat VIP. It is much harder to be a real VIP by being a multimillionaire (or celebrity). Much easier flying lots.
Then they can get treated specially.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:05 am

Originally Posted by jmj9905
i have not read the whole thread but have a couple of observations. I am LT Plat. No I don't get free upgrades anymore, What I do get is the ability to pre select my seats, usually exit row, if I am not flying F. More important to me are the OW benefits. I am retired and travel international a lot. Usually using miles. My status allows me to pre select seats bus or F depending on what route and airline I am flying. I guess I am amazed that some people assume, because they have status they have some entitlement.

In my view elite status carries a lot of benefits but you have to temper your expectations.

YMMV
As far as I know that is incorrect. Anybody can select seats in F.
And for business, only BA (or certain seats on LX?)
Old Jul 26, 2019, 3:32 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Because this is the easiest (and probably only) way people are be a somewhat VIP. It is much harder to be a real VIP by being a multimillionaire (or celebrity). Much easier flying lots.
Then they can get treated specially.
Being an AA multi-million miler really does make me feel like a VIP, especially as I have the great pleasure of repeatedly being number XX on the upgrade waiting list on flights where I board and go back to take my middle seat in the back of the flying bus because that is all that may have been left when the same-day tickets were purchased and I managed to check-in.

The AA lifetime elite status benefits don't provide any semblance of being a VIP, but they do provide a chance of having lower odds to suffer the worst of what the airline has to offer.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Blumie
Can I also point out for the OP's (and everyone else's) benefit: loyalty programs do not reward loyalty. Loyalty programs are designed to incentivize future behavior, not reward past behavior.
This is still the most accurate post in this thread.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by thunderlounge
This is still the most accurate post in this thread.
The incentivization is based on the marketing around an award or some other benefit. If you are incentivizing a behavior with the promise of rewards that don’t materialize, then the incentive eventually becomes ineffective.

they are not all that different, just a timing issue, for most people. What was past behavior was shared by the OP to warn others re their future flying.
GUWonder, C17PSGR and Biggie Fries like this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by beachfan

The incentivization is based on the marketing around an award or some other benefit. If you are incentivizing a behavior with the promise of rewards that don’t materialize, then the incentive eventually becomes ineffective.

they are not all that different, just a timing issue, for most people. What was past behavior was shared by the OP to warn others re their future flying.
Yes, if you promise a reward and then don't deliver on it, you risk angering your customers, in addition to diluting the effectiveness of the incentive. Which of course is exactly what all of the airlines have done.

That said, in the case of AA lifetime status, they haven't changed the reward, although it's certainly less valuable than it once was.

But back to the point of loyalty programs: a company has to walk a fine line of trying to make the customer feel valued for his or her past behavior while still incentivizing the customer to continue to spend more rather than just rely on past accrued benefits. It's a difficult line to walk, and we can argue (and have argued) over the course of hundreds or thousands of posts as to the effectiveness of AA's (and other airlines') loyalty/incentive programs.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Being an AA multi-million miler really does make me feel like a VIP, especially as I have the great pleasure of repeatedly being number XX on the upgrade waiting list on flights where I board and go back to take my middle seat in the back of the flying bus because that is all that may have been left when the same-day tickets were purchased and I managed to check-in.

The AA lifetime elite status benefits don't provide any semblance of being a VIP, but they do provide a chance of having lower odds to suffer the worst of what the airline has to offer.
As they say, in the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king
Or, in this case in the world of commercial airlines he who only waits 15 minutes to checkin, stands in security only 20 minutes, and gets groped only one in five times, is doing well!
Old Jul 26, 2019, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
And even that is pushing it as an explanation.

No "LT EXP at 3MM"s were handed out.
Any LT EXP at a higher mileage level?
Old Jul 26, 2019, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by richarddd
Any LT EXP at a higher mileage level?
Never heard about such a thing for a higher mileage level.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 3:40 pm

sOssos let me correct my statement. On Ba you can select f & bus seats but as a ows I can slelect ud 747 or other premium seats tht are blocked to no status passengers. Another example of the would be the mini cabin on cx 777w. Sorry I wasn't more specific.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
Originally Posted by JonNYC
What's "interesting" about it in your mind?
Only interesting is that all other things being equal (fare class, fare paid, check in time, etc.) I came out as a LTPLT considerably below a guy with no MM tagged to his PLT account on the upgrade list. Translated, in AA’s ‘system’ LTPLT are more considerably more worthless than regular (almost as worthless) PLT when it comes to upgrade priority.

Lifetime = AA PLT Lite probably won’t make their marketing materials.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Never heard about such a thing for a higher mileage level.
I've definitely heard of such a thing! Not true, but have heard of it
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 3:52 pm

CoMooter. I was unaware that aa makes a distinction between Plt. & ltPlt. When i fly in coach domestically i am on the upgrade list based on that criteria. YMMV
Old Jul 26, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
This would be why. Upgrade priority is now based on prior 12 month EQDs after status. Why would you expect to be higher if his EQDs were higher? This is something I think AA does right -- i.e., rewarding nearer term loyalty so those still spending the most get higher priority.
Indeed, and agree. ‘Eagles’ might also be at play here - and who knows where I fall into that or him.

But the EQD spend between him and myself was less than $1K for the year before...quite a difference still in terms of the upgrade ‘list’ (eight spots) with so many other things being equal.

Who knows...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.