Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Million Miler Doesn’t Reward Long Term Loyalty... Learn From My Mistake

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Million Miler Doesn’t Reward Long Term Loyalty... Learn From My Mistake

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2019, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/CK 8 MILLION MILES, DL, UA MILLION MILER, MARRIOTT TITANIUM, HILTON DIAMOND, HERTZ PRESIDENTS
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
Yeah, i think we're saying the same thing. It's just that flying an additional SIX MILLION MILES and "not noticing" that you're not getting anything new in the way of recognition/status or whatever beyond the standard SWU's, seems kind of late to be complaining at that point.
Not a complaint as much as a heads up. I've become a MAD based free agent and this is the way to go ... no worrying about SWUs ... great reasonable biz fares most of the time on all the alliances... granted I'm not flying US domestic any more so the complimentary upgrades CK/EXP don't matter ... would be the only reason to continue AA CK/EXP in my opinion... The SWU game became impossible after the USAir merge...
boerne likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by cova
These people made it from CC spend and manufactured spending. I don't think AA has the history data to go back 30 years and recreate the number of BIS miles - so how are they going to do a higher LT program? Say - 50MM gives you LT EXP???
If AA wanted to create a pathway to more than LTP, it seems that something similar to Marriott could work, requiring a certain number of years with earned status in addition to the mileage thresholds. e.g. LTPPro could be 3MM + 7 years PPro or higher. LTEXP could be 4MM + 10 years EXP.

But that would require AA to care. Or at least require them to copy someone other than DL.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 6:04 am

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion& 2 Million Miler; Marriott Titanium Lifetime
With Delta, I'm at 1.9 million. I'm currently Diamond status. I've been a 7 year Diamond member. Next year will be my 8th -- and last -- year as Diamond with Delta. And when my Diamond membership ends in January of 2021 (I will not have reached 2.0 million by then) I'm not showing any allegiance to them whatsoever. Beginning Feb of 2021, I will fly with whoever has the best price. If all things are even, then yes, Delta will of course win because I want to eventually get to 2 million. Lifetime Gold is at Delta's 2 million plateau and it comes with several perks that I value:

1. pick Comfort + seats 3 days before departure;
2. Priority baggage
3. Priority Airport lines
4. Entry into SkyTeam partner lounges internationally.

But after Jan of 2021, whoever has the best first class price wins. The reason i enjoyed being elite status with Delta, 8 years ago, was that there was a large inventory of upgradable seats for domestic flights. That's not longer the case, as Delta has chosen to monetize them in every way possible. Now the inventory is very slim -- at best. They're no longer showing me any loyalty so i'm not gonna show them any loyalty.

ATL
fotographer likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 7:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
OP should switch to Delta. Increasing value for every million miles eg for 5 elta’s top status level, Diamond Medallion, offers the airline’s million milers a Tiffany & Co. gift certificate each time they hit their next million mile landmark and the ability to gift Gold Medallion status to a family member or friend.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat/4mm miles, Starwood, HiltonHonors
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Exactly after 2 mm (as yes before 2011 it was far easier to get there) you get Lifetime PLT. That means a lifetime of OW lounge membership when traveling International, free MCE, Group 3 boarding (usually one of the first to walk into Y and find storage for bags at your seat), potential upgrades at T-48, jumping the que if you need to call Customer Service. As as Lifetime PLT I consider this a very good deal. Due to health reasons in 2017 and 2018
I fell out of EXP and Lifetime PLT has been a lifesaver.

Sounds like the OP is pissed off at life because of changes he's no longer CK. I'd say get over it.
I agree, as a 4-million-miler. But I wonder how long before AA drops the the other shoe on that one. Remember lifetime Admiral's Club memberships?
Old Sep 4, 2019, 4:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/CK 8 MILLION MILES, DL, UA MILLION MILER, MARRIOTT TITANIUM, HILTON DIAMOND, HERTZ PRESIDENTS
Originally Posted by ATLConsultant
With Delta, I'm at 1.9 million. I'm currently Diamond status. I've been a 7 year Diamond member. Next year will be my 8th -- and last -- year as Diamond with Delta. And when my Diamond membership ends in January of 2021 (I will not have reached 2.0 million by then) I'm not showing any allegiance to them whatsoever. Beginning Feb of 2021, I will fly with whoever has the best price. If all things are even, then yes, Delta will of course win because I want to eventually get to 2 million. Lifetime Gold is at Delta's 2 million plateau and it comes with several perks that I value:

1. pick Comfort + seats 3 days before departure;
2. Priority baggage
3. Priority Airport lines
4. Entry into SkyTeam partner lounges internationally.

But after Jan of 2021, whoever has the best first class price wins. The reason i enjoyed being elite status with Delta, 8 years ago, was that there was a large inventory of upgradable seats for domestic flights. That's not longer the case, as Delta has chosen to monetize them in every way possible. Now the inventory is very slim -- at best. They're no longer showing me any loyalty so i'm not gonna show them any loyalty.

ATL
The absolute best strategy is to be a free agent, unless you have few options due to your location (as I was when I was based in Miami with AA) .. being based in Europe now, there are tons of amazing offers Europe-US in business (without having to worry about upgrades confirming) ... the days of blind loyalty are over.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by knownothing
OP should switch to Delta. Increasing value for every million miles eg for 5 elta’s top status level, Diamond Medallion, offers the airline’s million milers a Tiffany & Co. gift certificate each time they hit their next million mile landmark and the ability to gift Gold Medallion status to a family member or friend.
Agreed, both Delta and United offer lifetime elite at their highest levels ... as do most foreign programs ... which was the point of my original post ... AA has never competed for long term loyalty...... That said, the programs have become so watered down (if you are chasing upgrades) that the best strategy today is to be a free agent! Happy flying! madmexusa
Old Sep 6, 2019, 4:54 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, IHG Plat., former LH HON (now Silver), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Exactly after 2 mm (as yes before 2011 it was far easier to get there) you get Lifetime PLT. That means a lifetime of OW lounge membership when traveling International, free MCE, Group 3 boarding (usually one of the first to walk into Y and find storage for bags at your seat), potential upgrades at T-48, jumping the que if you need to call Customer Service. As as Lifetime PLT I consider this a very good deal. Due to health reasons in 2017 and 2018
I fell out of EXP and Lifetime PLT has been a lifesaver.

Sounds like the OP is pissed off at life because of changes he's no longer CK. I'd say get over it.
I totally agree with nygeorge. Been a member of the program since 1984, sometime in the middle between then and now moved over to Star Alliance, where I was not only Gold, but HON. Star Alliance treated me like a King with favors, nights out to Operas, Dinners, Shows, Upgrades from C to F until I changed back to OneWorld and American to gain my 2 Million Miler. Star Alliance dropped interest in me, offered nothing after 7 Million Miles, absolutely nothing, not a phone call, letter or anything.
AA's Lifetime Platinum kicked in when I gave up my travelling job and moved to Europe. It is a true blessing to have this benefit. Lounge access with IB and JJ and priority boarding - I am grateful to have this now.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Cool

Originally Posted by jordyn
I dunno, seems pretty helpful: if you travel a lot now (enough to likely exceed 3+M miles), it may be worth considering long-term options other than AA since their lifetime program is not as good as some competitors'.

I'm pretty sure AA doesn't advertise that on their site, and the fact that they tell you in advance that they limit to lifetime Platinum doesn't mean that we shouldn't learn from OP and pick another program that provides better long-term benefits for people who expect to fly several millions of miles on premium fares.
Definitely worth considering other options than American if compensation for long term loyalty is worthwhile! Almost all other airlines, domestic and foreign offer richer compensation that AA for long term compensation ... from UA (in my opinion the gold standard) to BA to IB to many Skyteam airlines .. while AA definitely publishes their poor million miler offering (no one is getting scammed), it's buyer (or flyer) beware!!!
Old Nov 10, 2019, 5:47 pm

Programs: International Congress of World Wonders
When you get the 2 million lifetime Platinum status; it is not the same status as Platinum status earned year to year? What's the main difference?
Old Nov 10, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by WonderWanderer
When you get the 2 million lifetime Platinum status; it is not the same status as Platinum status earned year to year? What's the main difference?
Really none except that you are lower on the upgrade list than other platinums with higher or any EQD.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 10:46 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by enpremiere
Really none except that you are lower on the upgrade list than other platinums with higher or any EQD.
Which puts you below almost everyone on the plane.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by abk
Which puts you below almost everyone on the plane.
But above Gold, CC holders, and the cargo hold.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by enpremiere
But above Gold, CC holders, and the cargo hold.
wait a minute... does not cargo hold come first.?
Old Nov 11, 2019, 8:34 am
Original Poster

They gave CK this year to a friend who flies little but is responsible for booking lots of cargo on AA... So I would say yess! Very important revenue source for AA!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.