Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Status Purchase Offer

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2019, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold
Platinum Status Purchase Offer

Hi I just received an email from AA offering me to upgrade status from Gold to Platinum status beginning tomorrow and all the way to Dec 2020.

Offer is 129,500 miles or $1,295.

Is it worth it to pay the above and which one in your opinion is the best option.

So far I have an upcoming Chicago and Bahamas trip booked so far but may have more travel internationally since I will be starting a new job in a month and will require at least one trip to London and Singapore.

Thanks.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:55 am

With your new job, will you make Platinum this fall anyway? You will if you were going to make Gold anyway and you have the two international long hauls on top of that. Your planned travel alone is very close to making Platinum. So you may be getting only six months or less of improved status versus eighteen months.

So what does PLT status get you over Gold?
Slightly higher bonus miles (worth very little)
48 hours upgrade window versus 24 (almost never happens in modern era; odds low for your planned ~12 domestic segments this year)
Higher upgrade priority at gate (also low odds of payoff)
More free checked bags (YMMV on this one; I never check more than one anyway)
Priority delivery of checked bags (nice when it happens, but in my experience AA delivers on this benefit about maybe three quarters of the time; very frustrating when my "priority" bag comes out nearly last, which happens way too often)
Advance complimentary access to MCE (nice, but the total you could spend on MCE access during your planned travel doesn't come close to 1300 dollars)
Oneworld partners lounge access (very very nice, but you will only get four opportunities to use this at most)

I think that's about it for what PLT gets you over Gold. Is all that worth $1300 to you? It wouldn't be worth it for me. At about $800 I think this offer would become interesting.

Also, if I did decide to bite, I would definitely pay $ and not miles. I try to do better than the one cent per mile they are offering here.

saunders111
bucketlist likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
The biggest difference in my opinion is that you get MCE for no extra cost, and you'd earn another 20% RDM. So how often do you fly, because you're looking at ~$72/mo to get those extras, and so it might depend on your employer's travel policy.

The other option, which also gets you Plat until December 2020, would be to just pay for a Platinum challenge. It requires flying 12,500 EQM in 90 days, according to the Wiki (link below), but is only $240 (or $480 to have the status while you fly the 12,500 EQM instead of after earning it).
HELP DESK & FAQ: Gold and Platinum Status Challenge
Old Jul 12, 2019, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by saunders111
Advance complimentary access to MCE (nice, but the total you could spend on MCE access during your planned travel doesn't come close to 1300 dollars)
If he can drink 185 beers worth at 7 bucks a pop it just may be!
Old Jul 12, 2019, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
If he can drink 185 beers worth at 7 bucks a pop it just may be!
Maybe Parker personally sets the pricing of this offer...

saunders111
Old Jul 12, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Gig103
The biggest difference in my opinion is that you get MCE for no extra cost
This- MCE probably cost an average of at least $50 a flight. So a 4 leg trip could cost over $200. Of course, as gold you get MCE for free 24 hours in advance. MCE and higher priority for upgrades are the two biggest benefits of platinum.

You would also get lounge access on international flights, which is a nice benefit.

Ultimately, you have to decide if it is worth the $$$$ or not.

Last edited by KBMIFlyer; Jul 12, 2019 at 12:21 pm
Old Jul 12, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
Will your int'l flights be booked in Y or premium cabin?
cartman7110 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Same day standby priority is pretty nice. It’s rare to not make it on when you’re PLT and I generally fly elite-heavy routes.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold
Thanks for all your input. For my new job I am certain the trip to London and trip to Singapore will be in business but do not know if there are preferred airlines that are not oneworld. To Singapore I would advocate taking Qatar to my new job if I could. I am not certain these two trips will be in second half but there is a good possibility it may.

As for my current earnings at Gold below is where I stand on my way to platinum

EQD $4600 of $6000
EQM 33,870 of 50k
Segments 6 of 60.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
Given how close you already are, as well as the long haul flights booking into premium cabins on a partner carrier (meaning lesser benefits from status and higher EQD accumulation), I foresee this purchase as mainly benefitting AA and nobody else.
KBMIFlyer and Gig103 like this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by jmoskal
Thanks for all your input. For my new job I am certain the trip to London and trip to Singapore will be in business but do not know if there are preferred airlines that are not oneworld. To Singapore I would advocate taking Qatar to my new job if I could. I am not certain these two trips will be in second half but there is a good possibility it may.

As for my current earnings at Gold below is where I stand on my way to platinum

EQD $4600 of $6000
EQM 33,870 of 50k
Segments 6 of 60.
You are well on your way to PLT. Only you can decide whether it is worth it, after weighing the costs and benefits as they apply to you.
For example, lounge membership on international flights - You can buy that
MCE - How many trips are you going to need to get the other $1400 EQD and 16K+ EQM, and how much more is MCE worth to you for those trips.
What class of service are your upcoming trips in, especially the one to Singapore. If you are already planning on being in PE, J or F, then free MCE isn't going to be an issue
Baggage - Do you need 2 checked bags or is one enough?
After getting this far without PLT, you should have an idea of whether it is worth the $1295.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mvoight
For example, lounge membership on international flights - You can buy that MCE -.
If flying business class, as post 9, lounges access will come with class of travel.

ORD to SIN could be on JL or CX on Oneworld. Or more options via LAX (like UA-SQ). QR is a little longer distance
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O%27Ha...tional_Airport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore_Changi_Airport
Great Circle Mapper

OP needs to find out the international travel policy of his/her employer

The $1295 seems good for AA, but poor value for the OP (that's why it is offered)
Old Jul 12, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
My two cents: It's not worth it.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
I had a look at my account last week and noticed that with my planned travel for the rest of the year I will make Platinum.

At first I was excited. Then I realized it might not be all that great.

Upgrades within 48 hours? Well, so far this year I've watched the upgrade board as I sat in the departure area. Typical: 39 upgrade requests for the appox 3 unsold seats in First Class. Fat chance if I would ever get that, even with Platinum.

Checking two bags for free? I only ever check one bag. I don't like schlepping a lot of luggage and I don't take a lot of stuff.

More bonus miles? I can't get the awards I want confirmed at booking as it is. My miles are just sort of piling up. I gave away 100k miles last year to a friend in need, and I still have over 100k. (Legal give-away, no quid pro pro, no sale, no barter.) When I hear the credit card pitch on the airplane ("Start planning that dream trip with your bonus miles!"), I just laugh to myself and say "yeah right".
carlosdca likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
I had a look at my account last week and noticed that with my planned travel for the rest of the year I will make Platinum.

At first I was excited. Then I realized it might not be all that great.

Upgrades within 48 hours? Well, so far this year I've watched the upgrade board as I sat in the departure area. Typical: 39 upgrade requests for the appox 3 unsold seats in First Class. Fat chance if I would ever get that, even with Platinum.

Checking two bags for free? I only ever check one bag. I don't like schlepping a lot of luggage and I don't take a lot of stuff.

More bonus miles? I can't get the awards I want confirmed at booking as it is. My miles are just sort of piling up. I gave away 100k miles last year to a friend in need, and I still have over 100k. (Legal give-away, no quid pro pro, no sale, no barter.) When I hear the credit card pitch on the airplane ("Start planning that dream trip with your bonus miles!"), I just laugh to myself and say "yeah right".
Well obviously for most, one of the key benefits of Platinum status, which you didn't mention, is lounge access. For many that is meaningful, I'm guessing you may not care. If that is the case though, I'd say it's a good place to be sitting. Not caring is certainly a lot better position to be in than those here constantly stressing/plotting to obtain higher status...

Regards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.