FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Platinum Status Purchase Offer
View Single Post
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:55 am
saunders111

With your new job, will you make Platinum this fall anyway? You will if you were going to make Gold anyway and you have the two international long hauls on top of that. Your planned travel alone is very close to making Platinum. So you may be getting only six months or less of improved status versus eighteen months.

So what does PLT status get you over Gold?
Slightly higher bonus miles (worth very little)
48 hours upgrade window versus 24 (almost never happens in modern era; odds low for your planned ~12 domestic segments this year)
Higher upgrade priority at gate (also low odds of payoff)
More free checked bags (YMMV on this one; I never check more than one anyway)
Priority delivery of checked bags (nice when it happens, but in my experience AA delivers on this benefit about maybe three quarters of the time; very frustrating when my "priority" bag comes out nearly last, which happens way too often)
Advance complimentary access to MCE (nice, but the total you could spend on MCE access during your planned travel doesn't come close to 1300 dollars)
Oneworld partners lounge access (very very nice, but you will only get four opportunities to use this at most)

I think that's about it for what PLT gets you over Gold. Is all that worth $1300 to you? It wouldn't be worth it for me. At about $800 I think this offer would become interesting.

Also, if I did decide to bite, I would definitely pay $ and not miles. I try to do better than the one cent per mile they are offering here.

saunders111