FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Platinum Status Purchase Offer
View Single Post
Old Jul 12, 2019, 3:46 pm
scubadu

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
I had a look at my account last week and noticed that with my planned travel for the rest of the year I will make Platinum.

At first I was excited. Then I realized it might not be all that great.

Upgrades within 48 hours? Well, so far this year I've watched the upgrade board as I sat in the departure area. Typical: 39 upgrade requests for the appox 3 unsold seats in First Class. Fat chance if I would ever get that, even with Platinum.

Checking two bags for free? I only ever check one bag. I don't like schlepping a lot of luggage and I don't take a lot of stuff.

More bonus miles? I can't get the awards I want confirmed at booking as it is. My miles are just sort of piling up. I gave away 100k miles last year to a friend in need, and I still have over 100k. (Legal give-away, no quid pro pro, no sale, no barter.) When I hear the credit card pitch on the airplane ("Start planning that dream trip with your bonus miles!"), I just laugh to myself and say "yeah right".
Well obviously for most, one of the key benefits of Platinum status, which you didn't mention, is lounge access. For many that is meaningful, I'm guessing you may not care. If that is the case though, I'd say it's a good place to be sitting. Not caring is certainly a lot better position to be in than those here constantly stressing/plotting to obtain higher status...

Regards