Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Orders 50 Airbus A321XLR at 2019 Paris Airshow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Airbus A321XLR
merican ordered 50 Airbus A321XLR at the June Paris Airshow held at Paris - Le Bourget airport. 30 of these replace previously ordered A321neo, 20 are new orders. These will largely fulfill the roles of the departing Boeing 757-200. Airbus announced first deliveries of the XLR to start in 2023.

The Airbus A321XLR will reportedly have over 90% compatibility with, and will use the same basic engines as, the A321neo. With a range at ~101 metric tons of up to 4,700 nm, @5% more than the A321LR, the longest range of any narrowbody commercial aircraft. The aircraft will offer a 30% fuel savings compared to current comparable aircraft.

The aircraft can accommodate 180-220 passengers in two class configuration. AA is reported by several sources as seeking to fly these with all aisle access lie flat bed seats in Business, Premium Economy. Routing is expected to include East Coast - Europe lower demand routes, and likely South America.

“American will take delivery of their A321XLRs over the following timeframe...: 8 in 2023, 22 in 2024, 20 in 2025” - OMAT

Launch customers for the A321XLR were Steven F. Udvar-Házy‘s Air Lease Corporation (27) and Middle East Airlines of Lebanon, (4). Other airlines ordering A321XLR directly or through lessors include, additionally to AA, Aer Lingus, Frontier, Iberia, JetSMART (Chile), Jetstar, Qantas, Wizz Air.

OMAT
published range maps from GC

Maps:

Links to sources
Link to Is The Airbus A321XLR Vaporware Or The New Long-Range Leader?, Michael Goldstein, Forbes, 19 Jun 2018 (early speculation)
JonNYC original “hearing from multiple angles that an AA order for the A321LR is imminent, potentially at the Paris air show” was 31 May 2019, quoted in this thread on airliners.net.
Link to Airbus launches longest range single-aisle airliner: the A321XLR, Airbus, 17 Jun 2019
Link to Airbus Launches The A321XLR, The Longest Range Narrow Body Plane Ever, by Ben (Lucky), OMAT, 17 Jun 2019
Link to American Airlines agrees to order 50 Airbus A321XLRs,Airbus, 19 Jun 2019
Link to American Airlines Orders 50 Airbus A321XLRs, Ben (Lucky, 19 Jun 2019 OMAT
Link to American Airlines to become the first US airline to order new Airbus plane Phil LeBeau, CNBC, 19 Jun 2019 (It was actually Frontier who ordered first)
Print Wikipost

AA Orders 50 Airbus A321XLR at 2019 Paris Airshow

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2022, 8:38 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by FlyerTalkUserName
Slightly off-topic, but interesting it made more financial sense for AY to wet-lease A350’s to LH for leisure routes than to find a way to operate them within the existing OW TATL partnership. Have to wonder if that’s an option AA looks at more closely for next summer.
Since they have a revenue-sharing joint business, AA would not even have to wet lease AY aircraft if they are flying North America to Europe. The JB airlines would just have to agree that AY flies PHL-FCO that summer.

I suspect AY preferred to take the guaranteed wet lease payments over assuming the risk of operating their own transatlantic flights. In hindsight, with the current capacity crunch, that was probably the incorrect decision.
Old May 6, 2022, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I doubt that we will see any new subfleets like that. If anything, you'd see AA on the used market for 77Es or 77Ws.
I still don't understand their decision here. The aircraft are new, there are 15 of them (so it's a subfleet of medium size), they share lots of commonality with the a320 series, they have pilots who are type rated and they are still paying for them.
Old May 6, 2022, 7:24 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
Are Delta’s 18 B777’s still sitting out in a desert waiting to be purchased or scrapped?
Old May 6, 2022, 8:05 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by Antarius
I still don't understand their decision here. The aircraft are new, there are 15 of them (so it's a subfleet of medium size), they share lots of commonality with the a320 series, they have pilots who are type rated and they are still paying for them.
I think you're overstating the commonality of the A320 fleet and the A330 fleet. They're both made by Airbus, but thats about it. Different engines, different ratings, etc. Airbus has designed the cockpits to be similar but they are very different birds.

Lets also remember that a lot of airlines shed their "mini" fleets. AA parked their A330 fleet; DL parked their 777 fleet.
Antarius and BWISkyGuy like this.
Old May 6, 2022, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I think you're overstating the commonality of the A320 fleet and the A330 fleet. They're both made by Airbus, but thats about it. Different engines, different ratings, etc. Airbus has designed the cockpits to be similar but they are very different birds.
They're different aircraft, but very similar. Which is why there is a rather short CCQ program. Even the cockpits are nearly identical (by design), the third MCDU being the most glaring difference.

Lets also remember that a lot of airlines shed their "mini" fleets. AA parked their A330 fleet; DL parked their 777 fleet.
Back when the pandemic was raging, it made sense to shrink and streamline to less types. But AA went overboard and whacked pretty much everything. DL only retired their 777s as they had equivalent a350s already delivered. They also didn't retire their 767s and 757s like AA did. DL isn't struggling fleet wise nearly as much as AA.

Also, I believe DLs 777s were already paid off. Unlike AA that's still paying for something that they need but are gathering dust in the desert.
Old Jul 31, 2023, 4:26 am

I was hoping AA would fly CLT to AMS with the new A321-XLR; however, with the reduction of maximum miles flown, will that be possible? I just read an article on “One Mile At A Time” that mentions that the new maximum nautical miles will be approximately 3,800, or 4,373 miles. The miles from CLT to AMS is 4,170. How much of a cushion do they need as 4,170 is ver close to 4,373 miles?
Old Jul 31, 2023, 5:32 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by CLTRob
I was hoping AA would fly CLT to AMS with the new A321-XLR; however, with the reduction of maximum miles flown, will that be possible? I just read an article on “One Mile At A Time” that mentions that the new maximum nautical miles will be approximately 3,800, or 4,373 miles. The miles from CLT to AMS is 4,170. How much of a cushion do they need as 4,170 is ver close to 4,373 miles?
Maybe with weight restrictions, but I think the 321XLRs were more suited for PHL/JFK/BOS thin TA flights (and replacement of JFK-LAX/SFO A321T flights). I would expect CLT to see nothing less than a 787/777 on TA routes.
Old Jul 31, 2023, 7:18 am

Programs: Some/Most/All
Originally Posted by CLTRob
We won't know how the XLR will perform in AA configuration, as their premium-heavy layout should leave more of a margin to go out full and still have meaningful range.
Old Jul 31, 2023, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by JBKettle
We won't know how the XLR will perform in AA configuration, as their premium-heavy layout should leave more of a margin to go out full and still have meaningful range.
Good point! I would think that the advertised range would be with the maximum amount of an all economy class aircraft.
Old Jul 31, 2023, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by PHL
Maybe with weight restrictions, but I think the 321XLRs were more suited for PHL/JFK/BOS thin TA flights (and replacement of JFK-LAX/SFO A321T flights). I would expect CLT to see nothing less than a 787/777 on TA routes.
Exactly, particularly PHL. I don’t see them using them on JFK TATL routes unless they have extra slots and think they can make money chipping away at DL / UA (from EWR). I’d love to see a few new TATL routes launch from Boston, perhaps even feeding some connecting traffic, but not keeping my hopes up. Flip side is that if these planes become semi range-limited, BOS may be a suitable location.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 4:34 am

Another good fit will be from MIA to northern South America where the A321-neo’s and Max-8’s are currently flying, along with some A319. None of the current aircraft flying these routes have a premium economy or seat-back screens. To be competitive with DL and Latam, they need a better product for these routes. If I were to purchase a ticket now to Lima, Bogota, etc., I would purchase DL before AA due to the current product, or lack there of, on these routes.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 7:06 am

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
I doubt that we will see any new subfleets like that. If anything, you'd see AA on the used market for 77Es or 77Ws.
If this were the case they would have already done so. Many airlines have acquired 777s and 787s on the secondary market.

The shortage of wide body aircraft and an airline CEO stepping down at the age of 61 makes me wonder what direction American is going in.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 11:40 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by ryanbriar
Exactly, particularly PHL. I don’t see them using them on JFK TATL routes unless they have extra slots and think they can make money chipping away at DL / UA (from EWR). I’d love to see a few new TATL routes launch from Boston, perhaps even feeding some connecting traffic, but not keeping my hopes up. Flip side is that if these planes become semi range-limited, BOS may be a suitable location.
With Delta and JetBlue built up in Boston and the disintegration of the NEA seems highly unlikely they would do much in Boston vs PHL where they’ve stated an interest in the past for more “interesting” routes and feeder and O/D traffic.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 9:49 am

With the new labor contracts, coupled with the limited amount of cargo that these planes can carry and the low number of seats available for passengers, is it possible for flights to be profitable when using this aircraft? Just curious.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.