FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA Orders 50 Airbus A321XLR at 2019 Paris Airshow (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1974720-aa-orders-50-airbus-a321xlr-2019-paris-airshow.html)

JonNYC Jun 19, 2019 7:44 am

AA Orders 50 Airbus A321XLR at 2019 Paris Airshow

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 31164097)

https://www.airbus.com/newsroom/pres...-a321xlrs.html

Le Bourget – American Airlines, the world’s largest airline, will acquire 50 Airbus A321XLR aircraft, the new longer-range version of Airbus’ hugely successful A321neo. The purchase agreement includes the conversion of 30 of American’s existing A321neo slots to A321XLRs and incremental orders for an additional 20 A321XLRs.

JDiver Jun 19, 2019 9:27 am

That’s the news we’ve been waiting for.

The old LR - XLR rumor thread has been closed as obsolete. It can be read at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ew-thread.html.

N830MH Jun 19, 2019 10:53 am

Thanks JDiver! I just heard the news this morning. I think it's great news about this. They will delivery A321XLR in 2025 or earlier.

JonNYC Jun 19, 2019 10:58 am

From Isom's video this morning:

"8 aircraft in 2023, 22 in 2024, and the 20 options to confirmed for deliver in 2025"

morrisunc Jun 19, 2019 11:02 am

I can’t imagine them using F from the 321 transcon to provide all aisle access in J. I think they will do something similar to unite Polaris were the seats alternate direction which would still be a fantastic product for a narrow body.

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 31218972)
From Isom's video this morning:

"8 aircraft in 2023, 22 in 2024, and the 20 options to confirmed for deliver in 2025"

JDiver Jun 19, 2019 11:07 am

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by N830MH (Post 31218944)
Thanks JDiver! I just heard the news this morning. I think it's great news about this. They will delivery A321XLR in 2025 or earlier.

Indeed. AA wasn’t the launch order (Steven F. Udvar-Házy‘s Air Lease Corporation was, with his order of 27, a huge endorsement of the aircraft considering Udvar-Házy‘s standing in the commercial aviation field, along with Middle East Airlines of Lebanon ordered 4).

Reportedly, AA expects to take delivery of eight in 2023. The A321XLR is expected to begin flying commercially in 2023 because it has over 90% in common with the most recent A321s, but that feels pretty aggressive. As you like to say, “let the speculation begin”. Though we have a lot of information on this one so far, there’s lots to speculate about, including seating to be selected, and with 50 orders exceeding many people’s previous guesses, the routes that will get these.

Maps: 4,700 nm max range ex-DFW, MIA

Djokison Jun 19, 2019 11:18 am

Originally Posted by morrisunc (Post 31218985)
I can’t imagine them using F from the 321 transcon to provide all aisle access in J. I think they will do something similar to unite Polaris were the seats alternate direction which would still be a fantastic product for a narrow body.

How about the vantage solo? It looks to be specifically designed for this.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Jun 19, 2019 11:29 am

I would think half of these a/c will replace the 75Ls. I wonder what the other half will be earmarked for? New routes and/or some downgauging.

jsieds Jun 19, 2019 11:35 am

So perhaps a new European gateway hub at ART!

Dubh Jun 19, 2019 11:41 am

Would these be destined for assembly in Alabama?

teemuflyer Jun 19, 2019 11:47 am

Taking a Catious View

Happy for AA if they can make this work, and folks who prefer direct flights to the targeted destinations.

I think I will wait to hear about the experiences from a lot of flyers before getting on a 10+ hr flight on a narrow body. Even 6 hrs can be tough, as I like to get up and walk around, which will not be easy on this type of plane. Give me a large wide body any day, and I'll deal with the need to connect by cooling my heals in a nice lounge ;) .

And I feel for the crew..

JDiver Jun 19, 2019 11:56 am

Originally Posted by teemuflyer (Post 31219175)
Happy for AA if they can make this work, and folks who prefer direct flights to the targeted destinations.

I think I will wait to hear about the experiences from a lot of flyers before getting on a 10+ hr flight on a narrow body. Even 6 hrs can be tough, as I like to get up and walk around, which will not be easy on this type of plane. Give me a large wide body any day, and I'll deal with the need to connect by cooling my heals in a nice lounge ;) .

And I feel for the crew..

I think those of us who have flown the 757 transatlantic will be happy. In fact, some flights now flown with the 763 might be replaced with this likely more reliable aircraft which is likely to sport an angled flat bed product for all aisle access.

jayer Jun 19, 2019 11:57 am

Of course they ordered, Have to do something to replace aging 757's, and it is the only real choice if you want new planes to the gate sooner rather than later. Fills a need for AA, but may or may not prove to be the long-term long-and-narrow route solution.

But not so specialized an aircraft it can't be reassigned to the more traditional narrow-body route pool if the 797 proves to be such a consumer favorite it becomes a competitive necessity.

My only real concern is if the extra fuel creates another center-of-gravity issue requiring a specialized pilot group.

JDiver Jun 19, 2019 12:03 pm

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Djokison (Post 31219046)

How about the vantage solo? It looks to be specifically designed for this.

I think you are absolutely correct.

The Future Of Narrowbody Flat Bed Business Class? By Ben (Lucky), OMAT, 1 Aug 2017 - link

From the Thompson Aero Seating brochure:

teemuflyer Jun 19, 2019 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 31219206)
I think those of us who have flown the 757 transatlantic will be happy. In fact, some flights now flown with the 763 might be replaced with this likely more reliable aircraft which is likely to sport an angled flat bed product for all aisle access.

Fair enough, but from personal experience, flew the 757 twice on relatively short flights (~ 6ish hours), and in business both times, and vowed to try to avoid it in lieu of wide bodies. Personal preference, I guess.