Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA cancels flight at OKC , DL brings in plane for 41 student group

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA cancels flight at OKC , DL brings in plane for 41 student group

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2019, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by madrooster
More recently a few days ago (10 Jun), Delta had to cancel DL40 SYD-LAX due to landing gear issues. When they cancelled the flight in the end, they booked everyone into hotels etc. as per standard procedure, but also managed to rustle up a charter boat to take all disrupted pax on a Sydney harbour cruise to see Vivid Sydney.
Impressive. AA would never even imagine of thinking out of the box like this.
no1cub17 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by madrooster
More recently a few days ago (10 Jun), Delta had to cancel DL40 SYD-LAX due to landing gear issues. When they cancelled the flight in the end, they booked everyone into hotels etc. as per standard procedure, but also managed to rustle up a charter boat to take all disrupted pax on a Sydney harbour cruise to see Vivid Sydney.
Nice, normally they just order Domino's.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
What I see is:
1) Delta had no obligation to transport those students. But DL made it their responsibility.
2) Delta's agents thought outside the box to accommodate the group
3) Weather impacts airline operations. But what matters is how the airline responds to bad weather.
4) Delta could see a ROI in their charter flight - in the form of passenger loyalty. Those students parents (and the students when they become adults) could book future trips on Delta.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
How big of a scene does one have to create for an entirely different airline to notice the issue?
SJOGuy likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Originally Posted by enviroian
Impressive. AA would never even imagine of thinking out of the box like this.
I'd love to see a head-to-head fight, DL -vs- AA at one of AA's major hubs. The beating AA would receive, may just force the board to oust Parker.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wrp96
Yes, because it's cheaper than the other guys.
And because they're in OKC, and I'm guessing a lot of itins they'd want to fly are going to be most-easily routed through DFW than a Delta or United hub. For some international routes, it might even make sense to book ex-DFW to begin with.

I know I personally swore off United for 8 years after their employees intentionally ruined my flight during a "job action" in 2000. But then I ended up working on a project in Denver, so what are you going to do? Connect every week or fly the airline with 7-8 nonstops a day? I convinced myself that whatever union was behind that job action in 2000 had been beaten down enough in 8 years and that continuing to hold a grudge was only going to bring pain to me. So I went back to United, flew a few 1P and 1K years, and now have fairly little emotion towards them positive or negative.

Ultimately, we pick our airlines based on the routes and frequencies. We know they all match each other on price, and we know they all suck in coach and tend to roughly match each other's seat pitch and offerings on basic domestic F. It comes down to who has the nonstop I want. If I have a job with a ton of Dallas travel, it's going to be AA or WN regardless of how nice Delta was in this case.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by 757FO
I'd love to see a head-to-head fight, DL -vs- AA at one of AA's major hubs. The beating AA would receive, may just force the board to oust Parker.
Look at JFK.
wrp96 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:39 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I do have to wonder if the standard now anytime a flight is cancelled and there is a group involved does the agent and the airline need to scrounge up a separate a/c and crew to get them to their destination. With load factors of 85% and more rerouting an entire together, particularly with a connection just isn't going to happen.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by pinniped
And because they're in OKC, and I'm guessing a lot of itins they'd want to fly are going to be most-easily routed through DFW than a Delta or United hub. For some international routes, it might even make sense to book ex-DFW to begin with.
I have family in OKC. Last few international trips, they drove to DFW to catch a Delta flight because it was cheaper from there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.