Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA cancels flight at OKC , DL brings in plane for 41 student group

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA cancels flight at OKC , DL brings in plane for 41 student group

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2019, 6:09 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I suppose the next story will be about how they are stranded in Richmond because AA cancelled their return flights because they didn't take the outbound leg.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 6:43 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by FlyerWx
Here is the news article that Delta reported:
https://news.delta.com/we-re-here-he...ked-competitor

Really proud of Delta on this one

Also, that photo is from the wintertime, but this did happen recently.
Real Classy! They did not even mention the competitor's name.
Thumbs up to Delta!
enviroian, aztimm and krakendown like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
Originally Posted by flyingislove
But let's be honest...DL tends to win hearts far more often than AA does...
I seriously cannot remember the last time I experienced anything from AA that won my heart...

Now, as to things that have don the opposite, there are many. Thank goodness I only need to occasionally set foot on one of their aircraft anymore.
flyingislove likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
DL did score points among public opinions on this one, and AA just does not look good on this specific situation no matter how you look at it. It is internal corporate culture which can make difference. Not just frontline employee has empower to initiate such action, but management types along the way listen and took action. I do not know if AA has such internal corporate culture or not, but for sure for this specific situation it did not work. In eye of public opinions, people tend to remember one bad thing more than ten good things.

I fly AA most of the time. Once is a blue moon I fly other and when I flew DL, WN, and B6 I was pleased with interaction with employees and overall experience were very nice. UA was on par with AA but have to give UA big points for their boarding procedure at gates. I am "Mr. Nobody" at UA and gets Group 4 or Group 5 boarding when flying UA, but I was still impressed compare with boarding as Group 1 on AA. Because I am not just talking about boarding experience of myself, but how entire passenger's boarding procedures are handled at AA vs. UA.

If I have to come up with one thing AA excel among other airlines...
hoshman likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 7:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Nice story if it's real, but I'm not sure what the aircraft in Kansas City - obviously an old photo from at least a couple months, if not multiple winters, ago - has to do with it.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by pinniped
Nice story if it's real...
DL did post about this story on their website, look post #10 on this thread.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
American gets into the news on the other side. They refuse to loan Air Italy a spare part the weekend prior and passengers are stranded for 35 hours.

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...lay-for-spite/
Old Jun 10, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
DL did post about this story on their website, look post #10 on this thread.
Fair enough. Obviously not Delta's fault, but when some "news" (or quasi-news) organization inserts an obviously fake/extraneous photo into the story, it just makes me question the entire thing.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Must have been a fun flight for all crew and passengers. With all the IROPS horror stories on here, it's great to see an effort like this. I just hope these kids are able to handle their next delay/cancellation, when they aren't provided a plane for their exclusive use
Old Jun 10, 2019, 8:55 am

Random sidebar: as my kids are in middle school and one now in high school, I've become aware at how much more frequently schools take whole classes on these long cross-country trips. We did not do this 25-30 years ago, except maybe as an optional add-on after the school year. Sometimes I question the wisdom of a long flight+bus journey where they're at the destination for a relatively short period of time. Where, yes, IROPS would effectively cancel the whole trip.

Our kids have had whole class trips (with flights) to Colorado, Minnesota, Washington DC, and next year Florida. Sometimes I think they do the trips just because the parents think they sound cool. The kids enjoy them, but their lasting memories are usually just about hanging out with their friends, not so much whatever the academic purpose was. That's awesome, but you could get the same from a bus trip to a regional camp and not have to worry about airlines, airports, and distant-city travel.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by pinniped
Fair enough. Obviously not Delta's fault, but when some "news" (or quasi-news) organization inserts an obviously fake/extraneous photo into the story, it just makes me question the entire thing.
While I don't disagree with you we all know how accurate the media is with aviation related stories....they aren't even remotely. I still see stories on the news about so and so airline showing UA 727's in the background.

AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:23 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
There may be a lot of moving parts to this story. An airline just can't manufacture an a/c out of thin air. One of AA's regional partner would have had to provide a spare a/c and crew it. Kudos for DL for getting this done but operations can't always make an a/c appear out of thin air.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Real Classy! They did not even mention the competitor's name.
Thumbs up to Delta!
Actually they did. They are smart to include the Tweet in the article which clearly says "AmericanAir".

In any case, It doesn't matter, as a passenger, if AA has spare aircraft issues due to whatever may be the reason, it only matters that AA stranded 41 young Kids. Also it doesn't matter if Delta gets PR, or ROI or of this. all that matters is that they went above and beyond and helped stranded young school kids

This is all assuming there is nothing more to the story reported
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
You're telling me AA couldn't find a single CRJ or whatever they use for regional flights?

I love how airlines just suddenly cancel flights... As if people don't have places to be (some travel is time sensitive too).
Old Jun 10, 2019, 10:47 am

The "stranded" schoolkids were in their own hometown. We might be overplaying the "rescue" aspect of this story just a wee bit. Nobody was in danger...not even the danger of a lousy night's sleep in an airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.