Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Rumor: AA to order A321LR or A321XLR (confirmed - see new thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor: AA to order A321LR or A321XLR (confirmed - see new thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Fair questions/observations.

First of all there a ferocious debate going on right now within AA as to when/if such pulling should actually commence, and keep in mind oasis F-class is going in for a bit of de-torturization, so still some time to determine where AA might be headed at this point, IFE-wise, depending on which thinking prevails or what compromise is reached.

These rumored 321s would be international aircraft, no F, but would need to be “essentially interchangeable” with AA’s current long-haul aircraft, seat/amenity-wise.
I did not realize they would be international aircraft (since I think of widebodies as trans-oceanic but that's narrow minded as a west-coaster). if that's the case then yeah, AA needs to keep the IFE, I think it's still very much expected on longhauls.

I am glad to hear there's internal debate over Oasis/IFE, not that it's relevant to the at-hand rumor.
GTITAN and railmatt like this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Anything LR to me has to be international capable. We know lie flat is required by transatlantic JV, but I presume IFE in all classes is required too. I was thinking even the meal courses have some min requirements, but that was only based on what I observed happened with the SYD routes "enhanced" meals.

Then, we get some domestic rotations which are nice when they finally show up.

We just have such a bad impression based on how spartan the existing LUS A321 are and the A321T are so route limited in scheduling.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Based on reading multiple threads and articles on the A321 long range aircraft, I take it that there are actually two potential models -- the A321LR (which JonNYC referenced for AA) and the A321XLR (which was referenced in the B6 article). I wonder which version AA is looking at?
Old Jun 3, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
These rumored 321s would be international aircraft, no F, but would need to be “essentially interchangeable” with AA’s current long-haul aircraft, seat/amenity-wise.
The J seat could be the Thompson Solo seats - direct aisle access for all seats while providing reasonable seat count on a narrow body. The B/E diamond seat, like on 75L and A321T J, is also a possibility though I think it's less likely than the Solo seat.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by formeraa
Based on reading multiple threads and articles on the A321 long range aircraft, I take it that there are actually two potential models -- the A321LR (which JonNYC referenced for AA) and the A321XLR (which was referenced in the B6 article). I wonder which version AA is looking at?
XLR I now believe
JDiver and AA100k like this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
XLR I now believe
Thanks!
JonNYC likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
...there a ferocious debate going on right now within AA as to when/if such pulling should actually commence...
Any update on the current status of said debate? 😁 I was just thinking today it's been awhile since this part of the story began with no update.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Any update on the current status of said debate? 😁 I was just thinking today it's been awhile since this part of the story began with no update.
Still playing out, seemingly.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Still playing out, seemingly.
I guess that's a sign of the powers taking it seriously. Thank you as always!
JonNYC likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by aztimm
If you want to talk about rumors, US Airways was supposed to be one of the launch airlines of the A350, as Airbus helped fund the merger between America West and US Airways. There were actual orders for such, not just rumors.

How many A350s were in the US fleet at the time of the AA merger?
It was 22 A350 on orders, but they has been cancelled the entire A350-900XWB. They make a decision from AA. They went on 787-8/9 Dreamliners.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 5:30 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by N830MH
It was 22 A350 on orders, but they has been cancelled the entire A350-900XWB. They make a decision from AA. They went on 787-8/9 Dreamliners.
I think it was pmUS that had the A350's on order and pmAA had the 787's. It didn't make a lot of sense to maintain both types since they have similar characteristics.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by PHL
I think it was pmUS that had the A350's on order and pmAA had the 787's. It didn't make a lot of sense to maintain both types since they have similar characteristics.
That is correct! pmUS had orders 22 A350 before and now, pmAA had 787 on orders.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Mariott Gold, AMEX Plat, US CP
One point that is not being talked about here us the larger fuselage of tge narrow body airbus vs the boeing. This makes a big difference when it comes to seats. The extra 1 inch to 1.5 inches makes it a far more comfortable plane. The current 737 are horrible and the seats are narrow compared to the current 321s.
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:48 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by N830MH
That is correct! pmUS had orders 22 A350 before and now, pmAA had 787 on orders.
And this was the point of my post. The airline could place hard orders for aircraft. Those orders can be cancelled or modified.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by william142
One point that is not being talked about here us the larger fuselage of tge narrow body airbus vs the boeing. This makes a big difference when it comes to seats. The extra 1 inch to 1.5 inches makes it a far more comfortable plane. The current 737 are horrible and the seats are narrow compared to the current 321s.
That’s highly subjective. IME, most people don’t notice that at all. (Of course, that’s all anecdotal) The ones that (say they) notice it, do always feel the need to be incredibly vocal about it, though.

The 737 interior certainly feels roomier though, thanks to the BSI and pivot bins. It’s one downfall to me are the low windows, which require neck craning if you want to look outside.
kingstontoon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.