Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2017 "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2017 "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by DCAAA
eh i'll just delete it

now i remember why i stopped using this terrible site -- it's completely useless because of the thread nazis that merge every question into a 100-page threads that nobody reads
You received an answer within a minute of when you posted. By the way it was answered multiple times on this thread.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jagoffee
You received an answer within a minute of when you posted. By the way it was answered multiple times on this thread.
^
Old Jan 8, 2017, 5:26 am

Using 500-mile Upgrades for Spouse on Different Record Locator

My wife and I are flying together on several flights, but different record locators, as she booked through her work travel agency and I had to book on my own. Is there any way to allow her to use her 500-mile upgrades to upgrade both of us as if we were on the same itinerary?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
I have a flight in a couple weeks with a co-worker on the same PNR and I requested upgrades. I'm Platinum and he's Gold. We both have enough 500-milers in each of our accounts. Will AA take all 4 upgrades from my account or can I request, if we clear, they take 2 from my account & 2 from his account? I'm assuming the gate agent can do either, just depends on how motivated they are
Old Jan 8, 2017, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by bmrisko
My wife and I are flying together on several flights, but different record locators, as she booked through her work travel agency and I had to book on my own. Is there any way to allow her to use her 500-mile upgrades to upgrade both of us as if we were on the same itinerary?
Yes, have her call AA and put in the upgrade request for you as her companion.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yes, have her call AA and put in the upgrade request for you as her companion.
Thanks, I saw that in the wiki after the fact. Good to know!
Old Jan 9, 2017, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA PPro, HH Diamond
Smile Stickies Not Deducted and Class Changed from X to F?

Traveled LAN->ORD->CLT Sunday and ran into plane issues with a non-functioning APU on an E45 on a 6am flight (a little chilly). A few cranky passengers approached the podium pretty loudly complaining to the GA and making arrangements with connections. I had a tight connection and waited for everyone to clear before going up and changing from a 7:15 to an 8:59 out of Chicago.

I was using stickers (nothing but middle seats on the AM flight) and was already confirmed for an upgrade (T-24) on the ORD->CLT leg. I used to work in customer service, so I always try to be very laid back with the GA when things go wrong. I asked about changing my flight out of ORD which she quickly did, but she had me in the back. EF showed 5 open in first on the 8:59 flight, so I asked about confirming my upgrade on that flight. She quickly gave me a new boarding pass out of Chicago, but instead of being in X, I was listed in class F. No stickers came out of my account, and account shows 3x EQM's for that leg of the flight.

Is this the result of a nice GA, a fluke, or should I expect a reversal soon?
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
During irregular operations, class of service can change. You'll probably keep F EQMs, etc.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by Chad Estes
T She quickly gave me a new boarding pass out of Chicago, but instead of being in X, I was listed in class F. No stickers came out of my account, and account shows 3x EQM's for that leg of the flight.

Is this the result of a nice GA, a fluke, or should I expect a reversal soon?
Originally Posted by ralphs
During irregular operations, class of service can change. You'll probably keep F EQMs, etc.
Yup, side-benefit of IROP.

I recently got rebooked to an alternate itinerary due to IROP and my Q fare ticket became a Y ticket, with the corresponding EQM earning.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 12:22 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
500mi certificates if status expires

Hey all,

My wife is AA Gold, but because our big trip this year is on an Amex companion fare, she won't hit 25k EQMs and thus won't have Gold for 2018.

The question - what happens with her 4 certificates if we don't use them while she is gold? If she's on an itinerary with me (who will still be gold) can they be used? Do they stay in reserve for future elite status?

We have a trip coming up and were going to stay in our MCE seats but now I'm wondering if we should upgrade for the heck of it (pending availability).

Thanks!
Old Jan 22, 2017, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
They stay in her account till she regains elite status and can use them again.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: UA 1.5mm, *gold, AA - P, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Well that sucks!! This is my first time having any said status with AA.

Not to long ago I found out that soft landings are no longer being offered by AA too. So, if I don't make any status in 2017, I've all of these vouchers I'd have to gift to people or let them age in my account until I get status again.

Well, I guess I've been incentivised to making AA my airline for 2017 at least.
The fact that AA miles are about worthless compared to UA or DL, the fact that AA's SDC policy is horrible, the fact that AA has a fraction of MCE/E+ inventory on most flight, and you have an incentive to fly AA this year simply because you have a bunch of unused stickers? I have a whole bunch of them in my account, and since I occasionally still will need to fly AA (like to DFW or PHL), I just might burn up some of them this year.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
500 Mile Upgrade Question

Hello all,
I have recently moved from DL to AA so I apologize for what might be a dumb question. Currently I only have gold status.
I have an upcoming flight from DCA to PDX and currently am only able to choose a middle seat. I haven't earned any 500 Mile Upgrades yet so I was tempted to purchase 4 of them and attempt to upgrade that segment. I was wondering if there is anyway to check availability prior to purchasing the upgrades? Also, is it possible that the upgrade would apply right away or will I simply be added to the upgrade list at the gate.
Thank you for any information or advice.

Last edited by pdac1975; Jan 23, 2017 at 4:27 pm Reason: Added current status
Old Jan 23, 2017, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pdac1975
Hello all,
I have recently moved from DL to AA so I apologize for what might be a dumb question.
I have an upcoming flight from DCA to PDX and currently am only able to choose a middle seat. I haven't earned any 500 Mile Upgrades yet so I was tempted to purchase 4 of them and attempt to upgrade that segment. I was wondering if there is anyway to check availability prior to purchasing the upgrades? Also, is it possible that the upgrade would apply right away or will I simply be added to the upgrade list at the gate.
Thank you for any information or advice.
What status level do you have with AA? You have to be at least Gold to use 500 Mile upgrades.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by apeortdz
What status level do you have with AA?
Sorry, meant to include that. I'm currently Gold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.