Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flying IB / Iberia: Earning AA LPs, Award Miles, related issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 23, 2019, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Flying Iberia: Earning EQM, EQD, EQS, Bonus & Award Miles and Related Issues

Link to Iberia partner page on aa.com

To earn AAdvantageŽ miles when you fly on Iberia marketed and operated flights as well as Iberia codeshare flights operated by oneworldŽ carriers and affiliates:
  • Buy an eligible published fare ticket in an eligible booking code
  • Fly an eligible route

AFFILIATE AIRLINES
  • Air Nostrum
  • Iberia Express

On most flights marketed by partner airlines, you earn award miles based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class of your ticket. Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable.

NOTE: Vueling Airlines (VY) is not a part of oneworldŽ. Iberia flights operated by Iberia would not accrue AA instruments.

NOTE: AA Joint Business Venture partners AY, BA, IB, JL now earn up to 3 EQM per flown mile, along with American Airlines. See the earning chart linked to above.

EQ Dollars are earned as a percentage of miles flown determined by fare class.

Iberia marketed (“codeshare”) flights must be operated by a oneworldŽ or affiliate airline to earn AAdvantage miles. The ticketing or selling carrier or agent is immaterial to earnings.

It is always advised to try to assure your AA Frequent Flyer Number is on your boarding passes, and we always advise retaining your boarding passes (or take screen shots of e-boarding passes) until your instruments have all posted.

Also see: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-partners.html

Link to archived posts through 2017 posts of Flying IB / Iberia: seat, ticket, PNR, earning, award issues (consolidated)

Note: more extensive existing threads on specific issues with Iberia

IB 23 May 2019 split thread into
ARCHIVE through 2017: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...solidated.html

AWARDS: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-airlines.html

SEAT SELECTION: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...tc-issues.html

Help avoid YQ Surcharge: AA award on BA / British & IB / Iberia (consolidated)

AA Participating Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd)

AA vs. IB comparison / which is better, etc.
Print Wikipost

Flying IB / Iberia: Earning AA LPs, Award Miles, related issues

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2023, 11:19 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Iberia/vueling miles & status help

Hi all, I recently got AA Gold, and have a couple of questions regarding a flight on Iberia. I purchased a flight on Vueling (because I had a Vueling flight credit), but it is an Iberia operated flight (Iberia Express) with an Iberia Confirmation Code for travel within Europe. Iberia won't let me add my Advantage # to the booking on the Iberia website or on the phone. Do you think I can get AA miles for this trip and use my Oneworld Ruby status to get preferred seating etc. and potential upgrades. Any advice would be appreciated!
Old Mar 21, 2023, 2:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lawstudent25
Hi all, I recently got AA Gold, and have a couple of questions regarding a flight on Iberia. I purchased a flight on Vueling (because I had a Vueling flight credit), but it is an Iberia operated flight (Iberia Express) with an Iberia Confirmation Code for travel within Europe. Iberia won't let me add my Advantage # to the booking on the Iberia website or on the phone. Do you think I can get AA miles for this trip and use my Oneworld Ruby status to get preferred seating etc. and potential upgrades. Any advice would be appreciated!
There are no OW benefits that apply since Vueling is not a OW carrier - you cannot earn AA miles either
Old Mar 21, 2023, 5:32 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There are no OW benefits that apply since Vueling is not a OW carrier - you cannot earn AA miles either
Ok that's the case even though the flight is operated by Iberia and not Vueling. It is just a Vueling codeshare. I think American is also codeshared on the flight.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok that's the case even though the flight is operated by Iberia and not Vueling. It is just a Vueling codeshare. I think American is also codeshared on the flight.
What airline is in your flight number? It actually doesn't matter who you bought it from.

If you have an AA flight number you will earn LP by fare paid. If you have an IB flight number you will earn according to the IB chart. If you have a VY flight number then you can't earn AA miles because VY is not a partner with AA. The fact that the flight also operates as an AA codeshare is only relevant if you bought the AA codeshare.

According to wheretocredit.com, VY can earn miles with the IB program. So you can credit them there if you have any use for them.

Last edited by VegasGambler; Mar 21, 2023 at 5:58 pm
Old Mar 21, 2023, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
From aa.com:

"You can earn AAdvantageŽ miles when you fly on Iberia marketed and operated flights and Iberia codeshare flights operated by Iberia affiliate airlines Air Nostrum or Iberia Express, or other oneworldŽ carriers." (Emphasis added.)

From oneworld.com:

"Members of oneworld airline frequent flyer programmes with the equivalent of oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status can use lounges offered by oneworld airlines when departing on any flight marketed and operated by any oneworld member airline, regardless of cabin class being flown." (Emphasis added.) (Exceptions for domestic travel by AA/AS elites for domestic U.S. travel omitted.)

So even if the flight is operated by IB, if you buy a ticket on which the flight is marketed by Vueling, you get nothing.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 4:21 pm

I am running out of steam and idk what to do.

I flew the following in a paid business class ticket:

DFW MAD - AA operated
MAD SVQ - IB operated
SVQ - MAD - IB operated
SVQ - DFW - IB operated

AA awarded the proper miles / loyalty points for the first two segments. The third segment was awarded miles as an economy segment (wrong). The last segment was awarded zero miles (wrong).

I submitted an online request, which was rejected by AA saying the flights were ineligible.

I called and spoke to a supervisor, who agreed there was an issue, validated the request and sent it back. I was told to wait 30 days. Nothing ever happened.
I called again and I went through the same process all over. Nothing ever happened.
I am short 10k+ loyalty points/miles, which I need to move up the status ladder, but I cannot get AA to award the correct number of miles.

What other options do I have?

What's even more frustrating is my partner did not have any issues. All his miles were awarded properly. We both were on the same reservation.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by coltonatx
What other options do I have?
Just keep trying; you will get the points eventually but IB is notorious for not communicating well with AA.
Presumably as part of the online claim you uploaded a copy of your ticket and boarding passes? Do that again and call in to make sure they have received the info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.