Wiki Posts
Search

Move from UA to AA - Status match

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2019, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Move from UA to AA - Status match

I am currently relocating my home airport from ORD to PHX. The ONLY thing about this move causing me any stress is changing my airline affiliation from UA to AA. I currently am 1mm flier with UA and hate the thought of not using the Lifetime Gold for my wife and I. That being said, UA just does not fly direct to enough of my business locations.

Let me preface that I have no desire or intent to use Southwest unless I literally have no other option.

Some of my travel points it seems AA flies direct that UA does not are DFW, MCO, BOS, OGG.

While I could still use UA for ORD, SFO, LAX, LAS and SEA. I would probably just give all of that business to AA to work on the status.

What can I expect from AA if I approach them about a status match (not Lifetime obviously) but for first year. What is the process I should follow
Old May 14, 2019, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Also, does ANY airline other than Southwest fly direct to Buffalo (BUF)
Old May 14, 2019, 11:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Occasionally, AA offers a status match to UA elites. There’s not such a match available now, though I’d recommend calling. AA does offer a status challenge. See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ge-2017-a.html
enviroian likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
Also, does ANY airline other than Southwest fly direct to Buffalo (BUF)
Wikipedia (may not be up to date)--> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffal...tional_Airport
Or look at the BUF web site.
Old May 15, 2019, 5:16 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
don't be so quick to dismiss Southwest.

I fly weekly, primarily on Southwest and AA. Southwest is definitely better in coach and marginally inferior when in AA first.
Old May 15, 2019, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Matches are a thing of the past
Old May 15, 2019, 5:38 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by enviroian
Matches are a thing of the past
I'd say unless the OP is a big spender AA would offer a challenge. But he should call anyway to research his options.
Old May 15, 2019, 5:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is always worth calling. AA will be more interested in OP's current flying, spend, and status, then any lifetime background. OP should be prepared to accept a challenge rather than a match. But, as a practical matter, if one isn't flying enough to meet a typical challenge, then one would not last long with a status match either.
Old May 15, 2019, 6:23 am

Programs: CK or bust
It is truly a marvel in this day and age that one individual can single-handedly move O’Hare to Phoenix.
jcatman, enviroian and Spanish like this.
Old May 15, 2019, 7:21 am
Suspended

AA offers status match to UA 1K only, immediate EP status with challenge-like requirements to keep the status beyond the 3 months.
Old May 15, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JonNYC
AA offers status match to UA 1K only, immediate EP status with challenge-like requirements to keep the status beyond the 3 months.
You have to call and they send you a form and you fill it out with your last year totals (I also included YTD when I did it as I had already re qualified 1K in Jun 2016) and they sent me back a welcome letter and I had 90 days to get the EQM and maybe EQD and was matched to EXP immediately (a few days) - I don't remember the exact requirements.

If you are not 1K, I am almost sure they will steer you towards their status "Challenge" anyone can sign up for a AA account and click on the challenge, pay the fee and fly, if you meet the terms you get the status - but this does not work for EXP
Old May 15, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
You have to call and they send you a form and you fill it out with your last year totals (I also included YTD when I did it as I had already re qualified 1K in Jun 2016) and they sent me back a welcome letter and I had 90 days to get the EQM and maybe EQD and was matched to EXP immediately (a few days) - I don't remember the exact requirements.

If you are not 1K, I am almost sure they will steer you towards their status "Challenge" anyone can sign up for a AA account and click on the challenge, pay the fee and fly, if you meet the terms you get the status - but this does not work for EXP
Sounds like a better program than I encountered 4 years ago coning to AA as a 1K. I too had the challenge of x number of EQM's and EQD in 90 days but during the challenge time frame I would only get platinum.
Old May 15, 2019, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
I am currently relocating my home airport from ORD to PHX. The ONLY thing about this move causing me any stress is changing my airline affiliation from UA to AA. I currently am 1mm flier with UA and hate the thought of not using the Lifetime Gold for my wife and I. That being said, UA just does not fly direct to enough of my business locations.

Let me preface that I have no desire or intent to use Southwest unless I literally have no other option.
What are your travel patterns and what status would you hit on UA through your spend and your PQM/PQD? Keep in mind that your LT UA status won't give you a qualifying spend exemption on AA. Spend qualifications would be a huge factor for me in deciding if AA loyalty was viable or if I should just free agent it all, and yes, take WN when it makes sense (which in my mind gets way more flak on FT than it deserves), or maybe even status challenge to A-List. Having to shovel extra money at an airline beyond your natural travel patterns just to get or retain status may not be worth it.

Originally Posted by nachosdelux
don't be so quick to dismiss Southwest.

I fly weekly, primarily on Southwest and AA. Southwest is definitely better in coach and marginally inferior when in AA first.
I tend to agree: on flights of up to 2-3 hours, I'm relatively indifferent to F or Y, and those stage lengths are the meat and potatoes of my travel, especially if I can get exit row or extra legroom in coach. Airplane food just isn't all that good and a $5-7 drink in first class just isn't worth that much to me). I'm trying on A-List for 2019 because of changes in AS MP that don't work for me (MVP Gold there, will almost certainly drop down a level). I've been consistently nailing the exit row A or F seat without a seat in front.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; May 15, 2019 at 9:08 am
Old May 15, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
UA flies PHX-LAS?!?
Old May 15, 2019, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
UA flies PHX-LAS?!?
And PHX-SEA, apparently. News to me out of SEA.
DenverBrian likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.