Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

5,000 miles deposited for 4-hr delay good or bad? (to merge - compensation)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2019, 12:41 am
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb

Believe it or not, I had my first poor experience with AA today.

Flying PHX-LAS and we board but are deplaned after they tell us some panel inside the cargo hold is loose.

Scheduled to depart at 10:10am.

In the gate area they keep telling us they are fixing the problem,...departure time keeps moving forward.

About noon they tell us that they will make a decision in the next 15 minutes if we are getting a new plane or not, basically creating false hope for everyone as they never updated us with the “decision.”

Finally, we board again and depart at around 2:15 PM getting to LAS 4hrs late.

AA proactively sent 5,000 miles according to the email received during the flight. This was to me and some co-workers on the same flight. They are Gold and I am EXP.

Should I ask for more miles? Shouldn’t a 4-hr delay warrant finding a new plane?

I’m just asking the forum as I in my 1.6mm miles flown I have never had this long of a delay.

Thanks!
Old May 8, 2019, 1:49 am

?!?!?

In 1.6 million miles of flying you’ve never had a delay of four hours?!?!?!

I haven’t received anything for delays far beyond that. I would be delighted to have never had that kind of delay in my 1+ million miles to date. That alone would be sufficient compensation!
Old May 8, 2019, 5:08 am

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rktsci
In 1.6 million miles of flying you’ve never had a delay of four hours?!?!?!

I haven’t received anything for delays far beyond that. I would be delighted to have never had that kind of delay in my 1+ million miles to date. That alone would be sufficient compensation!
That was literally my same reaction. OP is very lucky and I want tonight’s lottery numbers from him!

Theres a compensation thread in this forum with the gory details but I believe that’s in line with AA’s standards.
smc333 likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 5:19 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
I agree that the OP has been lucky to not ever before had such a delay given the amount of flying they have done.

Also, the fact that they were actually allowed to deplane while they were trying to fix the issue was a nice move.

I would be happy with 5K miles for this type of inconvenience.
LINDEGR likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 5:59 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I'm assuming someone like a CK probably made a stink and AA proactively provided compensation. Normally you'd get nada for a 4 hour delay.
IAHtraveler, MarkOK and AA100k like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 6:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no compensation for delays in the US. Anything AA does is a voluntary customer service gesture and thus entirely in AA's discretion. The flight arrived 3:50 late. I suspect that the cut off for the next toer of "gesture is at four hours and the flight did not meet that.

It is easy to criticize in retrospect, but the nature of repairing mechanical and other faults is that one can estimate but not know until the repair is made, tested and then certified. What looks like a 1-hour job, might become 3 hours or 30 minutes. Happens all the time and suggesting that repair estimates create "false hope" is a surprising approach for an experienced traveler.

Why not replace the aircraft? Because it was being fixed. The calculus keeps changing. Sure, it's frustrating. But, the nature of safety in commercial aviation is that engineers work for quality not speed (not that they waste time).
Old May 8, 2019, 7:05 am

And AA’s fleet is stretched as is with the Max grounding, they don’t just have planes and crews waiting for issues.
Old May 8, 2019, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by 355F1
Shouldn’t a 4-hr delay warrant finding a new plane?
Old May 8, 2019, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Shouldn’t a 4-hr delay warrant finding a new plane?
They should have gone out to Walgreens to find one, as well as accommodating your giraffe and helicopter.
355F1 and jgor like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 9:17 am
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Literally almost all of my flying is international. I guess that’s why I haven’t had any major delays.

I HAVE missed an international connection twice and DL and CX both put me up in hotels overnight. LoL

I wasn’t outraged or upset over the delay but they didn’t seem very communicative about what was happening at the gate area after deplaning.

Ess Happens, it’s just life.

I’m good with the 5,000 miles.

They did bring the big blue snacks and water cart after 3 hours.

The flight next to us to EWR was also delayed by almost four hours due to MX.

I guess since I am in Vegas I should go gamble since I’ve had such amazing luck flying huh... haha!
Old May 8, 2019, 9:24 am
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
They should have gone out to Walgreens to find one, as well as accommodating your giraffe and helicopter.
🤣🤣🤣

Baahahahahaah omg I love it!!
Old May 8, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Believe it or not, I had my first poor experience with AA today.

Flying PHX-LAS and we board but are deplaned after they tell us some panel inside the cargo hold is loose.

Scheduled to depart at 10:10am.

In the gate area they keep telling us they are fixing the problem,...departure time keeps moving forward.

About noon they tell us that they will make a decision in the next 15 minutes if we are getting a new plane or not, basically creating false hope for everyone as they never updated us with the “decision.”

Finally, we board again and depart at around 2:15 PM getting to LAS 4hrs late.

AA proactively sent 5,000 miles according to the email received during the flight. This was to me and some co-workers on the same flight. They are Gold and I am EXP.

Should I ask for more miles? Shouldn’t a 4-hr delay warrant finding a new plane?

I’m just asking the forum as I in my 1.6mm miles flown I have never had this long of a delay.

Thanks!
5K miles for a four hour delay is beyond good.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:42 am

Literally almost all of my flying is international. I guess that’s why I haven’t had any major delays.
That makes no sense either. International flights aren't delayed?

I could tell you about my worst delay (48 hours), but it would be OT since it was on BA.
Old May 8, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Half of my flying is TATL and international flights are the ones that cause me the greatest delays, especially the inbound flights from Europe. Mechanical issues don’t get fixed quickly in foreign airports and plane swaps take a day to materialize. I wish I had your luck!
Old May 8, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP
AA proactively sent 5,000 miles according to the email received during the flight.
It is remarkable that this is your first four hour delay, but what really surprises me is that AA sent you miles proactively. I had a 12 hour delay (mechanical issue) on AA945 last May and got absolutely nothing. In retrospect, it was probably foolish of me not to complain and ask for miles. My excuse is that I was padding my Eagles rating. Feel free to mock my naivete.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.