Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Seat Coupon Challenge ("Earn a free Main Cabin Extra seat coupon")

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Coupon Challenge ("Earn a free Main Cabin Extra seat coupon")

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:35 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
No status, with nine trips booked between May and August. No offer.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 2:23 pm

No MCE offer, but I got this by email yesterday:

You’ve been exclusively selected to earn double American Airlines AAdvantage® miles on all of your flights through August 31, 2019.

How to earn:
Register by May 15, 2019, and before you travel
Take at least 2 flights* to activate your double mileage offer
Earn double award miles on those two flights – and future flights – through August 31, 2019

Last edited by lobo411; Apr 25, 2019 at 2:34 pm
Old Apr 25, 2019, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
What is a seat coupon and what purpose does this serve?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't see the two flights "by August 31st" in the T&C.
You are absolutely right. I got that date from the email. When I copied the text of the promotion last night for my post, I had not yet registered and AA.com showed "Register by May 15, 2019". Once I registered, that text changed to "Your activity dates: Apr 24, 2019 - Aug 31, 2019".

Before Registration:

After Registration:

Originally Posted by AeRoSpaceman
From the limited number of posts here so far it looks like that if you already have travel booked then you won't get the coupon??
The promotion says "Register before you travel". IME with AA promotions that means flights booked but not flown will count. Otherwise they would explicitly say register, then book.

Originally Posted by Antarius
What is a seat coupon and what purpose does this serve?
For non-elites and golds, it allows you to book an MCE seat in advance without paying any fee. I am currently gold.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by _kurt
For non-elites and golds, it allows you to book an MCE seat in advance without paying any fee. I am currently gold.
Thanks.

although that leads to the next question- beyond challenges, where does one get them? Are they going to be earned like 500 mile stickers? Able to be bought in packs?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius
What purpose does this serve?
Makes ya feel real good boutya self.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by econometrics
Makes ya feel real good boutya self.
No, I don't feel good at all. I feel bad for having dropped from PLT to where I have to pay for seats
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:53 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by _kurt
No, I don't feel good at all. I feel bad for having dropped from PLT to where I have to pay for seats
Maybe they're testing the waters to take MCE seats away from Platinum elites.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by donotblink
Yeah, all you have to do to earn 1 coupon as a PLT in the future is fly $7000 on AA domestic metal, and viola... free MCE for one flight within the next 30 days! What a deal!
Old May 2, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: National - Exec, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Delta - Gold, AA - Plat
Got offer

Gold here (for the past few years), based on the West Coast. Two trips completed thus far, no travel booked as of yet, but several scheduled upcoming. My question with AA is how I'll be able to use the coupon. 99% of my travel is work related and booked through a 3rd party travel agency. Thus, I very rarely am the one entering my CC information at purchase. It IS my CC number the travel agent on the line is making the actual reservation. I'd be interested to see if THEY can use the coupon for me, or I can call the customer service line within 24 hours of ticketing to apply the coupon. If anyone else has experienced this, I'd be interested to hear. Otherwise, I'll update the thread with my experience next month.

Cheers,
Leighjohnwi
Old May 3, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by leighjohnwi
Gold here (for the past few years), based on the West Coast. Two trips completed thus far, no travel booked as of yet, but several scheduled upcoming. My question with AA is how I'll be able to use the coupon. 99% of my travel is work related and booked through a 3rd party travel agency. Thus, I very rarely am the one entering my CC information at purchase. It IS my CC number the travel agent on the line is making the actual reservation. I'd be interested to see if THEY can use the coupon for me, or I can call the customer service line within 24 hours of ticketing to apply the coupon. If anyone else has experienced this, I'd be interested to hear. Otherwise, I'll update the thread with my experience next month.

Cheers,
Leighjohnwi
You would use the coupon. The ticket is still in your name and you should have a record locator which use would use the coupon online or in the app. Whenever my work travel agency books travel - I have to use a CC to add MCE if I need to.
Old May 3, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
This is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Like a MCE is anything to get excited about. Good god.
Old May 3, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
Originally Posted by donotblink

if MCE is gone then I am too.
Old May 29, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: AA P DL MR UA
I'm confused about the coupon emails. I'm PLT and was on the phone to AA to link my husband's award reservation with my paid res so I could use my status for MCE seats. At first she explained about using coupons but I told her I hadn't gotten any emails about them. Long story short, she advised that, since "they hadn't gotten to my account yet" to call back, ask to link the two reservations, then ask to use my status for both. I did so and it was no problem. Never mentioned coupons. The first agent said that I wouldn't need a coupon for MCE for myself as long as I was PLT, but I would get a limited number for others traveling on my reservations, and if those ran out, I could request more. Does this track with others' experiences?

FWIW, she said the change was due to loss of revenue from PLTs using their status to get free MCE seats for multiple friends and co-workers to the point where some flights had no extra revenue from any of their MCE seats.
Old May 29, 2019, 10:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KBRDU
I'm confused about the coupon emails. I'm PLT and was on the phone to AA to link my husband's award reservation with my paid res so I could use my status for MCE seats. At first she explained about using coupons but I told her I hadn't gotten any emails about them. Long story short, she advised that, since "they hadn't gotten to my account yet" to call back, ask to link the two reservations, then ask to use my status for both. I did so and it was no problem. Never mentioned coupons. The first agent said that I wouldn't need a coupon for MCE for myself as long as I was PLT, but I would get a limited number for others traveling on my reservations, and if those ran out, I could request more. Does this track with others' experiences?

FWIW, she said the change was due to loss of revenue from PLTs using their status to get free MCE seats for multiple friends and co-workers to the point where some flights had no extra revenue from any of their MCE seats.
I don't think any of that info that agent gave you is accurate.
dciolli likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.