Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Losing Assigned Seats? (Family w/ children, equipment change)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losing Assigned Seats? (Family w/ children, equipment change)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Jenn0625
So if you choose your seats when you make the reservation, but cannot do online check in 24 hours prior (for one reason or another) that means you lose your seat assignment? What is the window for which they remove you from your seats? We have a return flight on 6/1/19 that we booked back in Dec and it shows online the same "glitch" that OP was speaking of....we are 2 adults and 2 kids and at the top of the screen it has a warning saying that we cannot sit in exit row seats with anyone on our reservation under 15. We are on a 321 airbus with one adult on row 5 and my kids and I on row 6....which is no where near an exit row. I just assumed this warning was posted as normal but now I am wondering if this means I will also not be able to check in 24 hours prior and we lose our seat assignment as well. What can I do now to keep this happening to me as well?
In theory, the warning only comes up when the computer sees something wrong. No person traveling with kids can choose the exit row... even if the kids sit elsewhere.

Your seats can change at any time. But, after checking in, it seems to go way down. Also, with no status, not checked in, you are most vulnerable to a seat change. However, it is relatively rare, as is the ability to not check-in online (if you are normally eligible.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro
So if you choose your seats when you make the reservation, but cannot do online check in 24 hours prior (for one reason or another) that means you lose your seat assignment? What is the window for which they remove you from your seats? We have a return flight on 6/1/19 that we booked back in Dec and it shows online the same "glitch" that OP was speaking of....we are 2 adults and 2 kids and at the top of the screen it has a warning saying that we cannot sit in exit row seats with anyone on our reservation under 15. We are on a 321 airbus with one adult on row 5 and my kids and I on row 6....which is no where near an exit row. I just assumed this warning was posted as normal but now I am wondering if this means I will also not be able to check in 24 hours prior and we lose our seat assignment as well. What can I do now to keep this happening to me as well?
No, they do not remove you from your chosen seats if you do not check in at 24 hours.

As others have mentioned, these seat changes happen most frequently with an aircraft change. A lot of people won't realize there has been an aircraft change because it is often still the same aircraft type and just a different version and/or seat map.

Unfortunately, there is absolutely nothing you can do to prevent this from happening. The best you can do is to check your reservations regularly so that you catch a change as early as possible and thus have a better chance of getting the seating fixed to your liking. Even if you catch it early you could still find yourself at the mercy of the gate agent and that agent may or may not be able to help. I know this is frustrating but it is, for now, the way it is.

Please try not to stress over this! Chances are that your seat assignments will stick and be fine. If something does happen the vast majority of gate agents will try to help when young children are involved and if they are given sufficient time to work on the seats (meaning you don't wait until just minutes before boarding).

​​​​​

​​​

​​​​​​
Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by Brooke.E
Unfortunately, there is absolutely nothing you can do to prevent this from happening. The best you can do is to check your reservations regularly so that you catch a change as early as possible and thus have a better chance of getting the seating fixed to your liking.​​​​​​
This part bothers me the most about AA. Obviously a passenger would have to utilize all sorts of resources to accomplish this task; whereas, AA just needs to put in an alert to the passenger via email, text or whatever other method they choose to be contacted that their seat assignment has changed. It doesn't even have to tell them to what other seats. Just that it changed, so they can go in and look. But nope, the technology isn't sophisticated enough to do that. :yikes:
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:12 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Well technology is there but some airlines aren't going to invest, particularly the ULCCs for which Parker sees Y-. AA on occasion might move paxs around outside of a/c equipment switches but it's usually a small move, like being moved from 21A to 22A. A/c switches means reseating gets thrown into AA's software, not the best. However, seats are never guaranteed and DOT isn't going to take that up. By no means is this AA specific, plenty of stories about UA, DL, Frontier, Spirit. The only airline that seems to want to be family friendly (other than those paying actually paying for premium and Y+ seats) is WN.

The bottom line is that the airline business is about fees (and credit cards) not flying. What you think is a free seat selection with Main Cabin isn't guaranteed. The most assured way is for a family to remain together is to pay for the first couple of rows in MCE, and yes for a family of 4 that won't be cheap.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Brooke.E
No, they do not remove you from your chosen seats if you do not check in at 24 hours.

As others have mentioned, these seat changes happen most frequently with an aircraft change. A lot of people won't realize there has been an aircraft change because it is often still the same aircraft type and just a different version and/or seat map.

Unfortunately, there is absolutely nothing you can do to prevent this from happening. The best you can do is to check your reservations regularly so that you catch a change as early as possible and thus have a better chance of getting the seating fixed to your liking. Even if you catch it early you could still find yourself at the mercy of the gate agent and that agent may or may not be able to help. I know this is frustrating but it is, for now, the way it is.

Please try not to stress over this! Chances are that your seat assignments will stick and be fine. If something does happen the vast majority of gate agents will try to help when young children are involved and if they are given sufficient time to work on the seats (meaning you don't wait until just minutes before boarding).

​​​​​

​​​

​​​​​​
Thank you. Not really stressing just frustrating if anything. We left AA for WN years ago (when they started flying non stop from DAL to MCO) and just this year decided to switch back to AA from WN to give them another try. One of reasons was being able to pick your seat ahead of time as we hate messing with that with WN lol. I am curious if OP confirmed that the reason for the "glitch" or why they got bumped was due to an equipment change? We are flying the old version of the 321A (as of now) in rows 5 and 6. In this layout, other than row 5, all MCE seats are exit rows as this older plane does not technically have a true "MCE". The other version of this plane does not have rows 5-7 at all. Would it be better for me to switch us to another row further back now just in case they do switch to the other version? All 4 tickets are booked under the same reservation and was a "cash reservation". My husband and I are both citi platinum select card holders (not that makes us special lol) and my husband currently has the "Plat Pro" status due to the promo thing from a few months ago. Unfortunately his temporary status will expire on 5/15 and will not be in effect for this flight on 6/1, so probably won't help us in the least status wise either. Just trying to be proactive.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:51 am
Suspended

Thank you. Not really stressing just frustrating if anything. We left AA for WN years ago (when they started flying non stop from DAL to MCO) and just this year decided to switch back to AA from WN to give them another try. One of reasons was being able to pick your seat ahead of time as we hate messing with that with WN lol. I am curious if OP confirmed that the reason for the "glitch" or why they got bumped was due to an equipment change? We are flying the old version of the 321A (as of now) in rows 5 and 6. In this layout, other than row 5, all MCE seats are exit rows as this older plane does not technically have a true "MCE". The other version of this plane does not have rows 5-7 at all. Would it be better for me to switch us to another row further back now just in case they do switch to the other version? All 4 tickets are booked under the same reservation and was a "cash reservation". My husband and I are both citi platinum select card holders (not that makes us special lol) and my husband currently has the "Plat Pro" status due to the promo thing from a few months ago. Unfortunately his temporary status will expire on 5/15 and will not be in effect for this flight on 6/1, so probably won't help us in the least status wise either. Just trying to be proactive.
I assume you're on a LUS321. No I wouldn't switch per se. Even taking seats in the back might not save you in the case of an equipment switch, which is doubtful. Most of the switches were 738s being subbed for the Max flights, LGA/MIA what was a Max route. I suspect that you would probably remain in those seats even if there was switch to a LAA 321.
Jenn0625 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:12 pm

Was really looking forward to getting to check out the PE seats on the ORD-FCO flight this weekend which I was able to reserve as MCE with paying the appropriate fee about a month ago. I believe AA hadn't officially sold them as PE yet as the completion date of the aircraft updating was uncertain. Seat assignments still showed in row 7 yesterday. Today I saw we had been relocated to non MCE seats. I called to inquire about the move and especially about losing the MCE seats which we had paid for. I was put on hold while the "seats department" was contacted. I was then told that we had to be moved due to a "medical accommodation". We were reassigned into MCE seats- just not in the PE mini-cabin. So an MCE specific seat selection is not a sure thing- which doesn't make sense since there is variable pricing even amongst MCE seats. I wonder how AA determines who to bump from their seats?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I'm surprised by how many issues people have about equipment changes wrecking seating. In ~ 500 flights in the last several years, it has happened once or twice.

Given that AAs upgrade and seat assignment system is daft, theres no way it seemingly can handle elite status.

is it because of where I sit? Or that I'm usually solo? Or am I somehow lucky? Curious.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Antarius
I'm surprised by how many issues people have about equipment changes wrecking seating. In ~ 500 flights in the last several years, it has happened once or twice.

Given that AAs upgrade and seat assignment system is daft, theres no way it seemingly can handle elite status.

is it because of where I sit? Or that I'm usually solo? Or am I somehow lucky? Curious.
Same with me, just a handful of times in the last three years as EXP.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:33 am

Angry

Originally Posted by TravelLawyer
This part bothers me the most about AA. Obviously a passenger would have to utilize all sorts of resources to accomplish this task; whereas, AA just needs to put in an alert to the passenger via email, text or whatever other method they choose to be contacted that their seat assignment has changed. It doesn't even have to tell them to what other seats. Just that it changed, so they can go in and look. But nope, the technology isn't sophisticated enough to do that. :yikes:
I agree. I booked almost 10 months out in PE fare to Hawaii for this July. I was well aware that the PHL to DFW flight didn't have PE, but I was assured that I was entitled to MCE on those flights. 3 equipment changes later--none of which I was notified--and we lost bulkhead on both flights. On one flight the aircraft was changed back to the ORIGINAL aircraft yet they won't give us our seats back, nor can they even get us in MCE because the only rows left are exits and we have 2 kids.

AA claims that there is nothing they can do about it--well, yes it can. AA could invest in better technology or manually make better seat assignments when it changes aircraft. AA could invest in technology that would have notified me immediately so I could try to move into the bulkhead before people booking months after me booked it. AA could fix its app so that it knows the fare I am on and doesn't charge me if I try to move the seats that I am randomly assigned; instead I have to call and wait on hold for alleged customer "service" reps that then need manager approval to move me. It's 2019; we put men on the moon on 50 years ago. No excuse for this. AA simply doesn't care about its customers enough to do any of these things.

Heck, even without the technology fixes AA could easily move the other passengers by explaining that they screwed up and need to accommodate a PE fare passenger who booked over 9 months before you did. Haven't even flown yet, but I'm dreading this trip with AA. Never again.
chitink and SunkissedMommy like this.

Last edited by AnaGirl; Apr 29, 2019 at 12:19 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by vj_rama
Go ride any subway or city bus and see how often young healthy men get up and offer their seats to the elderly, pregnant, etc. It never happens. What's worse is it ends up making you feel like a fool for doing so.
Every time I've been on the subway with a young kid or pregnant, it's been a, a man over 65, young man of color or a woman who offers their seat. Young white men have never offered us a seat.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Redeemed
Was really looking forward to getting to check out the PE seats on the ORD-FCO flight this weekend which I was able to reserve as MCE with paying the appropriate fee about a month ago. I believe AA hadn't officially sold them as PE yet as the completion date of the aircraft updating was uncertain. Seat assignments still showed in row 7 yesterday. Today I saw we had been relocated to non MCE seats. I called to inquire about the move and especially about losing the MCE seats which we had paid for. I was put on hold while the "seats department" was contacted. I was then told that we had to be moved due to a "medical accommodation". We were reassigned into MCE seats- just not in the PE mini-cabin. So an MCE specific seat selection is not a sure thing- which doesn't make sense since there is variable pricing even amongst MCE seats. I wonder how AA determines who to bump from their seats?
Which PE seats were you booked in?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
The question is did the OP reserve seats together or actually pay for the seats. For the latter AA is probably more willing to keep families together since they've paid for that privilege. If they simply found free seats together at booking AA is likely less inclined to keep those seats together. Another unfortunate 21st century reality is that one needs to check their reservation regularly for things like equipment swaps so that if there is an issue it can be resolved beforehand. Waiting for the day of departure and expecting a family to get seats together is risky and problematic. This does not in anyway excuse the behavior of the one agent.
Sorry, but I disagree. You site a distinction without a difference. If someone went online and booked 6 seats that were together, then, yes, they bought 6 seats together. They paid for the seats!
Old Apr 29, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Redhead
Every time I've been on the subway with a young kid or pregnant, it's been a, a man over 65, young man of color or a woman who offers their seat. Young white men have never offered us a seat.
You should come to Chicago! I see it every day on the Trains/Bus here.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by scottsam66
Sorry, but I disagree. You site a distinction without a difference. If someone went online and booked 6 seats that were together, then, yes, they bought 6 seats together. They paid for the seats!
Sorry AA doesn't see it that way. AA sees it as you "reserved" 6 seats together-you didn't pay for six seat together. That is the reality today of airlines monetizing the a/c.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.