Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Losing Assigned Seats? (Family w/ children, equipment change)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losing Assigned Seats? (Family w/ children, equipment change)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
What do you mean actually pay for the seats? Isn't that part of what I am buying when I choose main cabin over basic economy? AA sure makes it sound that way.
There a very limited number of free Main Cabin seats. You can pay for preferred seats (which are nothing more than window and aisle seats other than the last few rows) or MCE. In that case you at least can say I've paid for us to sit together and at worst can ask to have the seat fee refunded if your party is broken up. This is the game of the airlines today, fee upon fee.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I suspect some kind of aircraft change may have caused this.
The way I understand it, the two oldest got seated together, each parent sat with lap child and was seated next to one of the other younger children
Yes, it might be inconvenient to sit apart for a 2 hours flight, but the oldest children were old enough to be on the plane rows away from the parents. They should be encouraged to be a bit more vocal if they really do need to use the toilet during the flight. As no "accidents" were reported, I assume nothing happened. In fact, at that age, some children like to have some distance from parents for a short time. Other than the other 6 members being split in groups of 3, I don't see any problem. Let's also not assume they were the only family groups on the plane. All in all, I understand their frustration but this was a from LGA to MIA, not a transcon, TATL, TPAC, etc..... If that is the worst that happens during your family travels, consider yourselves lucky. With 8 people traveling together, expect it will happen again.
I see absolutely no cause here, for the seating issue, for a complaint to DOT, as eat assignment issues happen, and the youngest children were seated with a parent.
A complaint to AA for the seating issue might get you some miles, but I would not count on too many. The biggest issue in my mind, is the agent making what you believe to have been an anti Semitic remark. I don't know what it was, so I can't really say what I would do, but if you feel it was anti Semitic that is something you should complain about to both DOT and AA. I am saying I am not sure, because some people might feel a statement like, "You Jewish people sure have a lot of kids" is an anti Semitic. I would not feel offended by that, but I think some people might. Of course, he could have made a much worse statement, but since we don't know what it was, cannot say what I would do
Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:47 pm

Sorry about your experience, Mendel. This, to me, is a customer service fail. The first gate agent already had 3 seats together for you, so it seems clear that the second agent made the situation even worse. I have been in similar situations and have had experiences both ways. Some won't even try to help and others will go out of their way. I recently had a flight where I was called up by the gate agent asking if I would give up my seat so that a family could sit together (which I have no problem doing). The GAs who are attuned to customer satisfaction are a key component to AA's success; too bad AA doesn't recognize that (as can be seen by their canned responses to you).
Old Apr 23, 2019, 6:14 pm

sorry to hear this.
Last time when i tried to choose seats, there were only middle seats left. at the gate i was given 2+2 seats with one adult sitting with a child
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by mvoight
The way I understand it, the two oldest got seated together, each parent sat with lap child and was seated next to one of the other younger children
How do you figure that? The OP gave the seat numbers:
17B - 19B - 26E - 26F - 31A - 31B

Perhaps the OP can clarify but it looks more like the parent and lap infants were in 17B and 19B, with pairs of children in 26E&F and 31A&B?
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deeruck
How do you figure that? The OP gave the seat numbers:
17B - 19B - 26E - 26F - 31A - 31B

Perhaps the OP can clarify but it looks more like the parent and lap infants were in 17B and 19B, with pairs of children in 26E&F and 31A&B?
31E & 31F was 11 and 9 year old
26E and 26F was mom with 4 week old baby on lap and 7 year old
19B was 12 year old
17B was myself with 23 month old

When you have a baby and a toddler.. the older kids really participate in entertaining the small ones (in addition to that keeping them busy as well).
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight
I suspect some kind of aircraft change may have caused this.
Yes, it might be inconvenient to sit apart for a 2 hours flight, but the oldest children were old enough to be on the plane rows away from the parents. They should be encouraged to be a bit more vocal if they really do need to use the toilet during the flight. As no "accidents" were reported, I assume nothing happened. In fact, at that age, some children like to have some distance from parents for a short time. Other than the other 6 members being split in groups of 3, I don't see any problem. Let's also not assume they were the only family groups on the plane. All in all, I understand their frustration but this was a from LGA to MIA, not a transcon, TATL, TPAC, etc..... If that is the worst that happens during your family travels, consider yourselves lucky. With 8 people traveling together, expect it will happen again.
I see absolutely no cause here, for the seating issue, for a complaint to DOT, as eat assignment issues happen, and the youngest children were seated with a parent.
A complaint to AA for the seating issue might get you some miles, but I would not count on too many. The biggest issue in my mind, is the agent making what you believe to have been an anti Semitic remark. I don't know what it was, so I can't really say what I would do, but if you feel it was anti Semitic that is something you should complain about to both DOT and AA. I am saying I am not sure, because some people might feel a statement like, "You Jewish people sure have a lot of kids" is an anti Semitic. I would not feel offended by that, but I think some people might. Of course, he could have made a much worse statement, but since we don't know what it was, cannot say what I would do
To clarify.. I only heard him mumble jew or jews.. and he then proceeded to be rude and condescending.. plus judging by his actions.. I'm interpreting his intentions. I could be wrong.

I honestly couldn't care less if some random person said something straight up anti-semtic.. but not when backed up by actions that impact my family.. and to be condescending etc in front my kids.. is something that really hurts.. especially when my 11-year-old son right away asked me.. why was he suddenly so rude/mean when you asked so nicely for help.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
What really annoys me most about these situations (and I've had these seat issues at least a couple of times myself), is even if you call as soon as you notice, if the seats are already occupied, the standard response is "sir, we cannot just move people out of their already assigned seats". To which I say ever so slowly "buuuuuuuuut, you can because you already did. Otherwise we wouldn't be having this conversation." Right or wrong, just give me a straight answer, don't make up crap and waste my time. But then I remember who I am dealing with. So, yeah.
Spiff, chitink, BillBurn and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:58 pm

Programs: United GS; AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador
It's really frustrating. Sometimes AA customer service staff just don't understand common sense...
secondsoprano likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by mendel
To clarify.. I only heard him mumble jew or jews.. and he then proceeded to be rude and condescending.. plus judging by his actions.. I'm interpreting his intentions. I could be wrong.....
You may have misheard... pretty bold for an agent to say something so directly racist in front of a large group of customers. As for his actions, I can assure you, AA treats everyone that poorly.

One other theory... did you book these all together... aka one PNR? If you had multiple PNR's the computer would not know to keep you together. Just a thought.

Last edited by Global321; Apr 24, 2019 at 4:21 am
Old Apr 24, 2019, 5:33 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Global321
You may have misheard... pretty bold for an agent to say something so directly racist in front of a large group of customers. As for his actions, I can assure you, AA treats everyone that poorly.

One other theory... did you book these all together... aka one PNR? If you had multiple PNR's the computer would not know to keep you together. Just a thought.
We know AA's rebooking software is pathetic. Lot's of stories of EXPs in MCE, equipment change, and suddenly they are seated in 32D. I could only imagine what their software does to people that did not pay for the "privilege" of a "preferred" seat. With full flights there's very little a GA can do. With limited time to clear upgrades and standbys, possibly issue seat assignments, bring in the incoming flight and board the departing flight there's little time to play musical seats. I've seen some GA really try their best but they are swimming upstream against a corporate culture that looks at the leisure flyer as a nuisance to be dealt with.

As far as families and groups of people flying the airline industry, for the exception of WN, no longer cares about your needs-unless you are at least at mid tier status level. Otherwise, your considered a nuisance. This is what the Wal Mart economy has brought us in air travel. I know families now that will no longer travel by air. All of their vacations are by car (as it was for most Americans in the 1960s and 1970s.)
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Global321

It was just me and my kids at the counter.. and he did mumble.. all I could hear was Jew or Jews.. so nobody else heard even that. The "I may be wrong" was on what came along with it.. but judging by his actions and attitude I don't think it was "I love Jews"...

All booked under one PNR..
Even the evening before (long after 737 max was grounded) it still showed us as being together.. in fact I saw another family in our original rows.. looks like a software mishap.. and the first to the airport got our seats..

The flight was overbooked by 9 seats..
Are they still allowed to do that under the new rules?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by mendel
It was just me and my kids at the counter.. and he did mumble.. all I could hear was Jew or Jews.. so nobody else heard even that. The "I may be wrong" was on what came along with it.. but judging by his actions and attitude I don't think it was "I love Jews"...

All booked under one PNR..
Even the evening before (long after 737 max was grounded) it still showed us as being together.. in fact I saw another family in our original rows.. looks like a software mishap.. and the first to the airport got our seats..

The flight was overbooked by 9 seats..
Are they still allowed to do that under the new rules?
Not sure which 'new rule' you are referring to. But, yes, they can overbook. I have seen flights overbooked by a lot more than that.

It does seem to be a glitch. If your seats were anywhere near an exit row and the plane was swapped, it could have started your troubles. Example... If you were in row 14 and 15 on the Max and it switched to one 738, you are now in an exit row. Then it switches to a different 738 and you are not. So the computer is thoroughly confused. Same if you were in the last few rows of the MAX... they disappear on one of the 738's, and then reappear on another.

It sucks. And the gate agents should have done more to help you; asking people to move, etc. And really, there is no advice on 'what to do next time'. It seems you were very proactive on picking seats, checking in and at the gate.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:41 am

So if you choose your seats when you make the reservation, but cannot do online check in 24 hours prior (for one reason or another) that means you lose your seat assignment? What is the window for which they remove you from your seats? We have a return flight on 6/1/19 that we booked back in Dec and it shows online the same "glitch" that OP was speaking of....we are 2 adults and 2 kids and at the top of the screen it has a warning saying that we cannot sit in exit row seats with anyone on our reservation under 15. We are on a 321 airbus with one adult on row 5 and my kids and I on row 6....which is no where near an exit row. I just assumed this warning was posted as normal but now I am wondering if this means I will also not be able to check in 24 hours prior and we lose our seat assignment as well. What can I do now to keep this happening to me as well?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jenn0625
So if you choose your seats when you make the reservation, but cannot do online check in 24 hours prior (for one reason or another) that means you lose your seat assignment? What is the window for which they remove you from your seats? We have a return flight on 6/1/19 that we booked back in Dec and it shows online the same "glitch" that OP was speaking of....we are 2 adults and 2 kids and at the top of the screen it has a warning saying that we cannot sit in exit row seats with anyone on our reservation under 15. We are on a 321 airbus with one adult on row 5 and my kids and I on row 6....which is no where near an exit row. I just assumed this warning was posted as normal but now I am wondering if this means I will also not be able to check in 24 hours prior and we lose our seat assignment as well. What can I do now to keep this happening to me as well?
Trying to figure that out myself.. as our return trip is on April 30th..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.