Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Million Miler Program as of Dec 2011 (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Million Miler Program as of Dec 2011 (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2011, 4:12 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by AmericanAirlines
We have good news for some of you. Members who have earned 1 Million Miler status since January 1, 2011, will have a limited opportunity to exchange eight (8) 500-mile upgrades for 35,000 AAdvantage bonus miles if none of the upgrades have been used. Please call AAdvantage Customer Service at 1-800-882-8880 (say “AAdvantage Account” when prompted at the Main Menu) to request this transaction.

Thanks to the folks at TravelingBetter for spotting this important post in this very long thread. I have added a quote of this post to the OP.

/Moderator
Old Sep 1, 2011, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by AZbba
I'm happy with this decision since I should have no problem hitting 1 million by Dec 1st. I might even wait and do a quick MR to push me over 1 mm for the 35k miles.

But honestly, this seems like a stupid decision for AA. It seems like a lose-lose to me. They decrease cc spend, decrease incoming mile transfers, decrease eshopping, and decrease loyalty (as anyone who doesn't fly enough for status but has gold from million mile is likely going to choose to fly on AA - even if it's a bit more expensive).

I also don't see how it dilutes the product that much. Either the million mile elites fly a lot and use their benefits (in which case they would be elite anyway) or they fly rarely, in which case it's not causing much dilution at all to the elite program.

It seems to me the smart move would have been to make the program semi-public (but don't advertise it) and either lower gold to 500k from any source or make a silver tier @ 500k. and make plat or above BIS only.

So you would get a ton of low level elites. Probably flying mostly for vacation and loving the novelty of having status, so they would be incredibly loyal to AA. In addition you'd get them to "earn" 500k miles somehow which would probably be a combination of flying/transfering points/cc spending/eshopping all of which are good for AA no?

In a market where AA is shrinking, doesn't have the international routes of it's peers (with the exception of Caribbean/South America) and is usually on the high side of pricing, loyalty seems like exactly what they would need.
This is the best post I've read on here. I think it was a mistake to neglect CC/shopping users from some sort of elite benefit - maybe a LT Silver so that they can maintain the status of the BIS flyers.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by The Matador
Unfortunately, this will be the nail in my aa/citicard relationship. I will never get enough bis to qualify, and one of the reasons I started collecting with aa/citi is it gave someone like me a chance for a non published status.

Sad ending...
I was debating dropping mine previously but kept using it because of the MM carrot.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA, UA.
35000 miles to 8 sticker but not the other way around

Originally Posted by dstan

Thanks to the folks at TravelingBetter for spotting this important post in this very long thread. I have added a quote of this post to the OP.

/Moderator
I just called about convert the 8 sticker to 35,000. The agent told me it cannot be done. Only if you have 35,000 miles and you can covert to 8 sticker.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat - 2MM;HH Diamond
Originally Posted by moon4fun
I just called about convert the 8 sticker to 35,000. The agent told me it cannot be done. Only if you have 35,000 miles and you can covert to 8 sticker.
Did you cross the 1MM mark this calendar year (after 1/1/2011)? And have you not used any stickers since?

If you both answers are yes, you should be able to do this. The agent you spoke with must not have read the memo. If the answer is no to either of these, then the agent is correct.

Dan
Old Sep 1, 2011, 11:43 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Cool

Originally Posted by danorum
Does International Airlines Group own AA or run the AAdvantage program? I am curious why you are taking that leap. (Maybe I am missing something.)

Dan
No IAG doesn't own AMR, but it's been publicly stated by Arpey that he sees a merger between AA and IAG.

This Avios nonsense will be the future program for AA if people don't stand up and denounce foreign ownership of US carriers.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 3:29 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
No IAG doesn't own AMR, but it's been publicly stated by Arpey that he sees a merger between AA and IAG.

This Avios nonsense will be the future program for AA if people don't stand up and denounce foreign ownership of US carriers.
No denunciation is necessary since it's illegal for foreign airlines to own more than 25% of a US airline.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by emma dog
No denunciation is necessary since it's illegal for foreign airlines to own more than 25% of a US airline.
I think the implication was more about it changing.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 3:40 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by nall
I think the implication was more about it changing.
I understand but in today's political environment I'd give this legislation exactly 0% chance of passing. Additionally, no US airline is actively pushing for it.

Arpey also said in the same speech referenced above that he didn't see it happening in his career.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 8:52 am

Programs: AA EXP 6+ MM, AC, DL (MM) & LT SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by emma dog
Almost true but not quite; The rule is "The US limits the amount of foreign ownership of its domestic airlines to a maximum of 49%, with a maximum of 25% control". I lifted this quote from a Public Transportation Policy document.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 9:46 am

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by ROW2Aisle
Almost true but not quite; The rule is "The US limits the amount of foreign ownership of its domestic airlines to a maximum of 49%, with a maximum of 25% control". I lifted this quote from a Public Transportation Policy document.
Exactly. That's how Virgin America is structured.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 10:59 am

Programs: AA LTG, Marriott LTP. 50% Delta LTS, Working on Hyatt LTD
am I the only person who would embrace a global airline with a single FF program who has to compete with local carriers on price?

It's like what we have now with the alliances but your upgrades would probably count on international flights.

Works for me.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by 2tall4economy
am I the only person who would embrace a global airline with a single FF program who has to compete with local carriers on price?
That depends on how they are structured. If it's structured like most of the US-based programs, yes; if it's structured lile most non-US programs (eg mile earning closely tied to revenue) then no. It'd be about the fastest thing to LOSE my loyalty to AA.

It's like what we have now with the alliances but your upgrades would probably count on international flights.
Like the wonderfuol Y to Y+ upgrades you can get on BA right now?
Old Sep 2, 2011, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by nkedel
Originally Posted by 2tall4economy
That depends on how they are structured. If it's structured like most of the US-based programs, yes; if it's structured lile most non-US programs (eg mile earning closely tied to revenue) then no. It'd be about the fastest thing to LOSE my loyalty to AA.

Like the wonderfuol Y to Y+ upgrades you can get on BA right now?
Completely agree. US carriers are in a much more competitive environment and it reflects in their frequent flyer program. I would be very concerned that an international program would be like non-US carriers.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Originally Posted by futaris
https://www.points.com/pdccontent/pa...Bonus_AugSept/

Sounds ok.

100,000 PC = 8,700 AA + 15% bonus = 10005 AA.
23,000 Aeroplan = 8,700 AA + 15% bonus = 10005 AA.
19,806 Virgin America Elevate = 8,700 AA + 15% bonus = 10005 AA.

NB, 20,000 SPG = 30,000 Aeroplan at the moment.

Amex Membership Rewards (US) also has the 15% bonus.

If you were close to 1MM or 2MM, then you could:

Buy 50k AA at 1000 USD. (2c / mile)
Buy 20k SPG at 700 USD, get 25k AA (max per year) (2.8c / mile)
Buy 100k PC at 600 USD, get 10k AA (do multiples) (6c / mile)
Does the 15% apply for any trade? The fees look high unless one really once to make it to LT status which I think its overrated, but anyways. And by the way does this website abide by AA's TOS? Will AA agree and accept your "trading" of their miles?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.