Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Million Miler Program as of Dec 2011 (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Million Miler Program as of Dec 2011 (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2011, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, OnePass, SkyMiles, Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by blh
Just called to trade the (8) 500 mile upgrades for 35,000 miles. No problems and will post in 48 hours. Went over the million mile mark last October - so before Jan 1, 2011. The didn't mention the timeframe. So it's worth a try if you prefer the miles to the upgrades.

I just did the same. Then they called back and said I was only getting 4000 because I crossed one million before January 1. I have e-mailed asking them to reconsider.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by brp
I'm not sure whether you're missing my point on purpose or unintentionally, but it is being missed, so I'll stop.

Cheers.
And I don't think you attempted to catch my point, so I'll stop as well.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dfwflyguy
Planning to transfer 200 SPG points to AA and get a fidelity account.

How long these miles will take to post my account ?
Fidelity is pretty good- less than a month, from recent experience.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 6:42 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by dfwflyguy
Finally, the day is here. I am 330 thousand short of 2 million.
Planning to transfer 200 SPG points to AA and get a fidelity account.

How long these miles will take to post my account ?
Based on my experiences last month, SPG posts the miles to AA each Thursday (or maybe AA processes them on Thursday?) and they are in your AAdvantage account almost immediately thereafter.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 6:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Exactly! Most folks have no clue, and those that know are now aware AA is realigning to something more realistic about lifetime status. (I believe the new program could have been better tweaked by rewarding those purchasing refundable Y, C and F fares proportionally more than those buying deep discount fares, though of course that would pose an, um, "interesting" challenge to AA's current IT system.)

Originally Posted by brp
Because the vast majority of AAdvantage members (remember, this program is for them, not for us since we're so few) didn't even know until this announcement. To them, this is good news about a new program. And their numbers are vast.

Cheers.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by azepine00
Because the vast majority of elites qualify by normal flying qualification and those golds or plats will be happy to know that fewer cc churners will be out there competing for the upgrades and taking preferred seats. A very small fraction of AA members know about LT benefits and only a small segment of that group actually tries to accomplish that. A part of that segment from that fraction does it with heavy partner participation, and they are the only significantly impacted group.
+1000. I am in that vast majority; it is not a meltdown or AA loyalty deal-killer if I have to pound it out for another 10 yrs for LTP. I expect to be PLT most of that time anyway. Would be nice if they retained an elite multiplier, and I confess to bagging 75k cc miles of my 1.3 - or less than 6%.

I don't care if some cc hounds are ahead of me in LT status and I don't care if I can't play that game after 1 Dec. AA has made a call that its plan translates into making the LT program oriented toward flying customers. Good on them - if that's what this is all about.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Deleted

Last edited by Dr Jabadski; Aug 27, 2011 at 2:46 am Reason: Erroneous information, my apologies.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 7:29 pm

Too late to be on the boat, now just sitting at around 410k. If I have to make my life a little easier as the MM program progresses, I can make it 250k EQM and pick up another 250k to make it easier for my plan, or purchase the miles to make it sooner. Bummer, but for the business perspective, this has to be done.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious but you most definitely want to do that in 10 increments of 20,000 each.
Not obvious to me.

Three transfers of 60K and one of 20K would be a lot easier. Since the maximum is "94,999 miles per eligible transfer", 60K Starpoints -> 75K AAdvantage is the largest transfer you'd want to do.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 8:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JDiver
Exactly! Most folks have no clue, and those that know are now aware AA is realigning to something more realistic about lifetime status. (I believe the new program could have been better tweaked by rewarding those purchasing refundable Y, C and F fares proportionally more than those buying deep discount fares, though of course that would pose an, um, "interesting" challenge to AA's current IT system.)
They could have done it without too much difficulty ( I think ) if they counted EQPs earned towards MM count rather than EQMs. This would have had negative consequences to those that travel on the lowest fares though
Old Aug 26, 2011, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Haha, I love this banter.

I fly AA on business, my average trip is 1000 miles so it takes 11-12 trips a year to qualify as gold per year. I'm in dfw, so no connection bonus. I'd like to think it should take me less than 40 years to earn lifetime gold at this pace. Even plats would take 20!

I don't care about the upgrades, although nice. I just want an airline that flies from my home that I can pick a decent coach seat, board before the crowd for when I carry-on, and not pay for my bag when I check. Congrats to those who are plat, exp, etc. You deserve more benefits, but it's absurd to think the old mm program watered down that status.

By the way most elites do know of the million mile program. There are a places such as this, the random conversation with another elite, or a colleague
who travels as much or more. Now whether or not they make it their life's mission is another question.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 8:27 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Ron Mexico

By the way most elites do know of the million mile program. There are a places such as this, the random conversation with another elite, or a colleague
who travels as much or more. Now whether or not they make it their life's mission is another question.
While there are a number of ways to find out about the program, the part that I bolded is highly doubtful in the real world. Much more likely is that the vast majority do not know about this because they just don't make the effort/have the time/inclination to find out about such things.

Cheers.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 8:29 pm

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Originally Posted by carolinaaaflyer
I just did the same. Then they called back and said I was only getting 4000 because I crossed one million before January 1. I have e-mailed asking them to reconsider.
Well...you saved me a phone call, but do let us know if they give you the 35k.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 8:33 pm

I'm outta here!

Good time to switch credit cards and airlines. This was the only thing keeping me loyal. I'm gone.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 8:51 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by ChicAAgo
Good time to switch credit cards and airlines. This was the only thing keeping me loyal. I'm gone.
What airline and credit card are you moving to? Going to change your screen name for FT?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.