Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA.com Doesn't Have a Drop-Down to Pick Companion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite

So, maybe this belongs in the What's the stupidest, least substantive thing you can complain about? thread, but maybe someone here has a workaround.

I book a lot of AA trips for myself, people that work for me, as well as family and friends. AA lets you store companions in your AA profile, so you dont have to enter their details every time. When you go to make a reservation, theres no drop down to select which companions will be traveling with you. AA.com defaults to entering your first companions details and if youre booking for 3, it will do companions 1 and 2, but otherwise theres no real way to pick which one.

Am I missing something?
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by donotblink
Am I missing something?
No, this is definitely a frustrating aspect of using their website.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Just another failure in AA IT. I booked a flight on Alaska a few weeks ago, and it was so seamless to choose a companion for my flight.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I've also noticed that it saves name, date of birth and known traveler information, but can't seem to keep track of companion's country and state...I'm not even sure why it needs country and state for domestic tickets, but it adds several seconds to each booking, and sometimes I'm making dozens of bookings at once, particularly for work trips with 3 or 4 colleagues.
Antarius likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
I've also noticed that it saves name, date of birth and known traveler information, but can't seem to keep track of companion's country and state...I'm not even sure why it needs country and state for domestic tickets, but it adds several seconds to each booking, and sometimes I'm making dozens of bookings at once, particularly for work trips with 3 or 4 colleagues.
Sounds like a lot of work...maybe a travel agent could help (might get you some better fares too).

The whole state of residence thing is absurd (and relatively new as I recall). I have no idea why they are collecting this information as part of the passenger info; it's completely unnecessary.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
yep. Every single booking requires me to select country and state.

My address is on file, so unsure why it cannot parse that.
Spanish likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 2:59 pm

AA customer service is horrible

I have a better one for you. I flew to Nassau had 5 seats booked. Upon departure our flight was delayed. It happens I understand the plane came in early we got to Charlotte and had tickets in hand 45 prior to our next flight and we go scan to board and they tell us your ticket isnt valid we gave your seats away we didnt think you would make it!! I ask the manager how did you give my seats away 45 minutes prior to departure? I was told sorry call our 800 number talk to them. You have to go online submit a complaint they dont call you back they gave me $49 per ticket refund after giving away my seats.. has this happened to anyone else? You cant get anyone to call you back!
Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gray1717
I have a better one for you. I flew to Nassau had 5 seats booked. Upon departure our flight was delayed. It happens I understand the plane came in early we got to Charlotte and had tickets in hand 45 prior to our next flight and we go scan to board and they tell us your ticket isnt valid we gave your seats away we didnt think you would make it!! I ask the manager how did you give my seats away 45 minutes prior to departure? I was told sorry call our 800 number talk to them. You have to go online submit a complaint they dont call you back they gave me $49 per ticket refund after giving away my seats.. has this happened to anyone else? You cant get anyone to call you back!
You could file a DOT Complaint , sounds like you were involuntarily denied boarding and are entitled to compensation based on that.
lowfareair likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You could file a DOT Complaint , sounds like you were involuntarily denied boarding and are entitled to compensation based on that.
agreed. I would write to AA first stating this is IDB and request compensation pursuant to this. Be clear and concise stating your flight #s , when they arrived etc and when you were at the gate.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
The companion issue is a pain. Except for automatically populating the first person listed, it doesn't do anything with the rest. The only thing I can see of value is that it has their frequent flyer numbers so I can cut and paste.

As for the state, its related to the Real ID issues.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 5:39 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
The whole state of residence thing is absurd (and relatively new as I recall). I have no idea why they are collecting this information as part of the passenger info; it's completely unnecessary.
My guess is that they collect this state of residence for the Allianz insurance. Different terms apply for different states, and if you buy the insurance, it feeds this information to Allianz, not the address on your AA profile.
NYC Flyer and HofstraJet like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
My guess is that they collect this state of residence for the Allianz insurance. Different terms apply for different states, and if you buy the insurance, it feeds this information to Allianz, not the address on your AA profile.
Wouldn't it be super rare for this state of residence to be different from your profile and billing address? Why not just use that?
Old Apr 11, 2019, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
As for the state, its related to the Real ID issues.
As the poster below noted, it is for selling insurance purposes. Has nothing to do with Real ID.
NYC Flyer and HofstraJet like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:42 am

Programs: AA lifetime plat 2.5 million
...I'm not even sure why it needs country and state for domestic tickets, but it adds several seconds to each booking, and sometimes I'm making dozens of bookings at once, particularly for work trips with 3 or 4 colleagues.
Was told that this has something to do with the upcoming "real id" changeover. I know that my Pennsylvania drivers license currently does NOT meet the new requirements. I was told that this choice would eventually tell you if your state's drivers license does not meet the id needs. Similarly, the need of certain countries to have a visa would trigger a warning message.

Sounds like a good idea at a time of changing requirements.
apeortdz likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:54 am

This has always frustrated me. The best workaround I've figured out is remembering the AAdvantage numbers of my family. After clearing out the pre-populated passenger info, which AA just draws from in the order you have it in your preferences, I can put the first, last name and AAdvantage number, then it will fill in the rest on its own. I've had issues in the past with the country and state not filling in, but lately it's worked fine for my kids. (But my kids also recently got real IDs, so maybe it is tied to that?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.