Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 300 (N114NN) hits sign on / about takeoff from JFK and returns (10 Apr 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA 300 (N114NN) hits sign on / about takeoff from JFK and returns (10 Apr 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Yes, stock photo of a MAX. Look at the back of the engines - the "fluted" design, like the 787s. And the split winglets (a bit harder to see in that photo).
Oh good to see I’m not losing my mind!
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by gernabae
I think we will find that this incident happened either during, or just after, rotation.There are very few signs on the left side of the runway (direction of travel taking off R/W 31L), so it was likely a distance-to-go sign. Those signs are close to 200' from the centerline, further out than the runway edge lights by some distance. If the plane wasn't airborne or just about airborne at this point, it was going to have bigger problems.

Too tight a left turn on departure? Gust of wind helping things get a bit less stable?
This is a lot more damage than I'd have suspected! That must have been a really squirrelly takeoff for a DTG sign to get whacked like that, they, and all other signs around the runway are extremely low to the ground! Even with the 31L departure you're way off the ground before you make the turn.

Airliners.net is confirming it's a DTG sign, see NOTAM:
JFK 04/158 JFK RWY 31L 5000FT DIST REMAINING SIGN MISSING 1904110513-1905250200

https://pix11.com/2019/04/11/america...uring-takeoff/
AmericanAir flight 300 out of JFK just emergency landed and there’s a big chunk out of the wing. Ground crew sent us to the lounge and they just don’t care. Way to treat an Exec Plat. pic.twitter.com/T9Sue7I79z

— Melanie Whitaker (@melimelo_01) April 11, 2019
JDiver and gernabae like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Yes, stock photo of a MAX. Look at the back of the engines - the "fluted" design, like the 787s. And the split winglets (a bit harder to see in that photo).
Or you can be lazy like me and just look up tail 302SA to see it is a 737-800 @ https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certifi...raft_registry/ (although it is unavailable at the moment.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA CC
I was at JFK this morning for a flight to LA - apparently that flight did not end up going out until 9:00 a.m. this morning, so folks unfortunately had to spend the night in one of the hotels near JFK.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Rebob
Or you can be lazy like me and just look up tail 302SA to see it is a 737-800 @ https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certifi...raft_registry/ (although it is unavailable at the moment.
Seems like more effort than just looking at the plane, especially to get the wrong answer. N302SA is a 737 MAX 8, not a 737-800.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
Guess I assumed 737-8 meant 8oo.

FAA REGISTRY

N-Number Inquiry Results

N302SA is AssignedData Updated each Federal Working Day at MidnightAircraft Description

Serial Number44468
StatusValid
Manufacturer Name BOEING
Certificate Issue Date03/06/2019
Model737-8
Expiration Date03/31/2022
Type AircraftFixed Wing Multi-Engine
Type EngineTurbo-fan
Pending Number ChangeNone
DealerNoDate
Change AuthorizedNone
Mode S Code (base 8 / oct)50624121MFR Year2019Mode S Code (base 16 / hex)A32851Type RegistrationCorporationFractional OwnerNO
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Here's the flight crew/ATC exchange.

nismo240ssx and Cissigys like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Wow. An uncontrolled 45 degree bank to the left on rotation, such that the wing tip nearly touched the ground and clipped the sign?? At around the 2:30 mark...

jspira likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:07 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Was the 737 a last minute substitution? Surely there would be other A321Ts that could be pressed into service, no?
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jspira
Was the 737 a last minute substitution? Surely there would be other A321Ts that could be pressed into service, no?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Photo of le dommage:

ijgordon likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
That reminds me on the QR 777 departing Miami a few years ago striking an antenna at the end of the runway.

As far as I remember correctly, they have entered the wrong takeoff weight and hence had the wrong thrust setting for take off, so the airplane was barely coming up in the air.
Despite some damage to the hull they continued to Doha.

As others said, the are height limits next to runways so I cant see that departing slightly off the center line is a problem (only if too low in any case).

But of course, speculation.

Nota bene: Flight crew was in best Arabian labour law tradition immediately fired after landing (or no, both 'opted to resign').
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Duck1981
That reminds me on the QR 777 departing Miami a few years ago striking an antenna at the end of the runway.

As far as I remember correctly, they have entered the wrong takeoff weight and hence had the wrong thrust setting for take off, so the airplane was barely coming up in the air.

As others said, the are height limits next to runways so I cant see that departing slightly off the center line is a problem (only if too low in any case).

Nota bene: Flight crew was in best Arabian labour law tradition immediately fired after landing (or no, both 'opted to resign').
It sounds like a questionable safety decision to continue a longhaul flight after hull damage on takeoff.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Duck1981

Continued flight with physical damage??
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Continued flight with physical damage??
Correct, after landing in Doha a hull defect was detected. Obviously the plane hit the antenna with its tail.

(you can google the full NTSB report).

Consequently, 2 out of the 4 pilots were given the boot. There was a similar incident with an EK A340-500 (I think in Johannesburg) around that time as well; the airplane returned to the airport (they also lost their jobs). Both Pilot/ 1st O did not recognise that they've entered the wrong departure weight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.