Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 300 (N114NN) hits sign on / about takeoff from JFK and returns (10 Apr 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA 300 (N114NN) hits sign on / about takeoff from JFK and returns (10 Apr 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lightbulbs

Don’t think so. If I’m not mistaken the airframe was N114NN which hasn’t flown since. I heard somewhere they were scrapping the airframe. Not an expert but seems weird they couldn’t repair it and would instead scrap it...
Most -definitely- not back in service but not being written-off either, that report was completely erroneous. It's being repaired w/ help from Airbus, repairs well under way.
JDiver, MSPeconomist and dciolli like this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:35 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by EmailKid

Let's give a plug to Simon Hradecky and his AV Herald, where a post today claims that the she was on the fateful AA 300:
In today's update Mr. Hradecky posted that he was in contact with passenger and confirmed she was on the plane.

Originally Posted by lightbulbs

Don’t think so. If I’m not mistaken the airframe was N114NN which hasn’t flown since..

Um, irony

A contributor to AV Herald thread posted "a little speedtape and she'll be good to go."

Originally Posted by JonNYC

Most -definitely- not back in service but not being written-off either, that report was completely erroneous. It's being repaired w/ help from Airbus, repairs well under way.
I'd be surprised if repairs were started this soon, but would expect the frame to return to service.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:44 pm
Suspended

I'd be surprised if repairs were started this soon, but would expect the frame to return to service.
Surprised or not, they are well under way.

JDiver, serfty, SFO777 and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:15 pm

https://twitter.com/xJonNYC/status/1118958819940413440
OK, time flies, didn't realize it's been over a week already.

But are you quoting your own tweets
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:23 pm
Suspended

But are you quoting your own tweets
I'm the single best source of AA/AAdv info in existence-- by far, no one even close-- everyone quotes me. Including me. That way they get it right.
MikeFly, beachfan, haveric and 7 others like this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:46 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Airbus and AA will sort N114NN (MSN 6046) out. We don’t know the details of what occurred yet, pending an official report. If it’s wingtip and leading edge damage as shown and sign and airport light hits as reported by the FAA, it’ll be IRAN (inspect and repair as necessary) and put this bird back into the air (and I’d imagine relatively soon).

If it had been a ground strike that caused a crack in the wing box members, the bird could theoretically be WFU. It appears AA Exec could have believed there was a crack, given their alleged statements April 11, but I’d think it would be too early to have the imaging and metallurgical data at this time and that it would be unlikely from what information we have available.

According to information The Aviation Herald received on Apr 12th 2019 ground tracks reveal the aircraft was dragging its left wing tip for quite some distance on the ground, the ground tracks even suggest the aircraft came close to ground loop. The aircraft and left wing tip became airborne just ahead of the runway sign, the left wing tip impacted the sign, parts of which became embedded in the left wing tip. The wing also sustained according damage to its underside near the wingtip.
If it can be safely repaired, it’ll be back in the air; I’d expect this outcome. But I’ll be interested to find out what happened from the NTSB investigation. Wingtip vortices / wake turbulence? 757s can put out sufficient wake that an MD-80 and a 737 had control loss issues attributable to 757s, and if course there are plenty of “heavies” that can do that as well.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
I'm the single best source of AA/AAdv info in existence-- by far, no one even close-- everyone quotes me. Including me. That way they get it right.

and humble, too.
JonNYC and _kurt like this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 5:13 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald

https://twitter.com/xJonNYC/status/1118958819940413440
Any updates?

It's been over nine months and N114NN is still out of service.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
Any updates?

It's been over nine months and N114NN is still out of service.
Maybe there's shortage of speedtape
Old Jul 25, 2020, 10:52 pm

According to jonnyc this plane is getting scraped.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
I thought for sure it would be repaired given the relative young age of the frame. But I'm not aircraft structural engineer so maybe the damage is a lot more severe than some of the photos suggest.

Also, I wonder if the current reduced air travel level has impacted aircraft value to the extend that nudged the insurance company to scrap it.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
That's extraordinarily surprising given the age of the aircraft and the relatively minimal damage it sustained, however perhaps it makes more sense from an insurance point of view.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 5:15 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmd320
That's extraordinarily surprising given the age of the aircraft and the relatively minimal damage it sustained...
Not relatively minimal, there was major wing box damage.

Old Jul 27, 2020, 6:11 pm

And from The Aviation Herald:
Aircraft will be scrapped
By Boeing777 on Saturday, Jul 25th 2020 12:38Z

The aircraft was deemed unrepairable and has been written off by the airline and lessor. All valuable parts will be sold and the airframe send to the scrapyard
N114NN Ship number 796.

According to the person who posted the image below on dropbox.com, the wing is bent several inches up and aft.

Old Jul 27, 2020, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by TWA884
Not relatively minimal, there was major wing box damage.
Seems strange. From the photos of the actual event there only appeared to be a dent in the slat and a little chunk taken out of the winglet. Wonder how they managed to damage the wing box.

Last edited by cmd320; Jul 28, 2020 at 9:45 am Reason: autocorrect

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.