Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pilots forgetting to announce landing

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2019, 4:09 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Happened to me once on approach to DCA. We were landing northbound and had already crossed over the Woodrow Wilson bridge, which is just under 90 seconds from touchdown. The flight attendant passed by as she was still casually collecting service items, and I pointed out where we were. She flew to her seat and we landed just as she clicked her seat belt.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 4:28 am

Programs: CK or bust
Forgetting to land seems to be more of a concern to me than forgetting to announce the landing as the cockpit goes through the list.
DeepUnderground and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by tryathlete
its a complete breach of safety protocol not to allow the crew to secure the cabin and passengers prior to landing.
That's my understanding. They are required to collect service items, make sure all seats are in their upright and locked position, etc.
Originally Posted by Airhaiku
I don’t know how this can be possible not to be aware of landing even without announcement.
Personally I always feel the change in sound and speed the moment we leave the cruising altitude. Few minutes later the top of decent is announced and landing in 20-30 minutes. As the minutes pass, the flight usually gets bumpier, there are more turns than before, and when the landing gear is out, everybody can hear it and feel it.
So if I notice all that how can a flight attendant who flies much, mudech more than me be so unfamiliar with normal flight procedures and just wait for the big announcment from the flight deck?
I know they might be busy, but don’t they plan carefully all the work according to flight time and service requirements specific to airline and class? So I guess they must be aware of time and landing can not be such an unexpect event even without announcement
You can tell that an aircraft is descending, but often planes descend to a lower level, circle for a while, descend some more, circle, etc. Time from the first descent to landing can vary widely, depending on how busy the airport is and other factors.
Spanish likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:33 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Years ago it happened on a UA flight into LGA. About 90 seconds before landing the Captain simply said "prepare for immediate landing." Number of times pilots have not told FAs to prepare for takeoff.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 6:31 am

Sigh...guess it ties in with the behaviour of the flight attendant on my recent flight from YYZ-PHL. She did all the safety 'readings' as mandated by authorities, walked up the aisle and back to 'check' on passenger compliance, and then sat down and buckled up.

Several passengers were still wearing headphones, at least two around me still had seat trays down, with tablets upright on them playing movies.

Bags were not pushed under seats.

Clearly she didn't care, the passengers aren't bothered, and the pilots are locked in their box.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
After I told her we're landing she got on the PA horn right after calling the Fa in the back and said "ladies and gentleman, please put back trays and seats up now, we are LANDING". You'd think by her reaction we were the space shuttle endeavor landing at Edwards.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:37 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I know a few airlines pilots. One is a Republic pilot who flies E175's for several of the carriers. The other is a mainline UA pilot. Both told me that the landing announcement is part of the checklist. Had the OP not told the FA they were on final, I wonder when they might have realized it? If they were still standing when the plane touched down....that could have had some major ramifications.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by PHL
Had the OP not told the FA they were on final, I wonder when they might have realized it? If they were still standing when the plane touched down....that could have had some major ramifications.
I was on an AA regional service a couple of months ago where the FA absolutely would have been standing in the aisle for touchdown had I not pointed out our imminent landing. I posted this account in another thread at the time:

...the pilots made no prepare-for-landing announcement, there was no double-ding on final, no cabin announcement live or recorded, in fact the FA was in the aisle picking up trash and gabbing with passengers until I waved at her and said, hey, judging from the view out the window, we're about fifteen seconds from the piano keys. She made a run for the rearward jumpseat and was not quite buckled in when we touched down. On that flight nobody, flight deck or FA, was communicating properly at all.

And lest someone chime in with that aviate-navigate-communicate set of priorities... we were doing ORD-CLE on a sunny calm day, no huge aviation challenges relating to traffic or weather... sometimes the crew just forgets everything or ain't feeling it.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by dblumenhoff
I think most people on FT have heard this truism. However, the "aviate" that you are doing here is keeping the plane safely aloft. If there isn't an emergency or other unexpected situation, the pilots should be planning for having all three.
Exactly. In an emergency, that's the order of operations. In a non-emergency, all three are required.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by PHL
I know a few airlines pilots. One is a Republic pilot who flies E175's for several of the carriers. The other is a mainline UA pilot. Both told me that the landing announcement is part of the checklist. Had the OP not told the FA they were on final, I wonder when they might have realized it? If they were still standing when the plane touched down....that could have had some major ramifications.
I asked a cousin who’s a year into flying right seat on E145s, and he confirmed that this should never have happened. If they weren’t through the checklist they shouldn’t have accepted landing clearance and instead requested delaying vectors or a hold. If they weren’t following checklists either properly or at all, they have an even bigger problem. A firm landing and/or harder braking with FAs up and about could cause a fall and injury.

His preference is to always ask the cabin crew to prepare for landing early if they expected a more challenging approach, which many of us have likely seen due to rough weather near the destination.

Hopefully the FAs dealt with the root cause of the issue.

Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
This was an Envoy operated 170. The pilot and FO both looked not a day older than 22 not that it matters but expected on regionals. We were late pushing back at DFW. The pilot came on the horn and said there is a paperwork problem and we "need a hardcopy". 10 minutes later I hear the pilot again on the horn "no, if you could please bring me the paperwork to my captain's window rather than the jetway". FA gets on the phone "captain that announcement went to the cabin".
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I've always liked the "cabin crew 10 mins to landing" announcement made by BA and others. Simple, short and extremely clear.
follonica2 and dcmike like this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Had it happen on takeoff once. Safety briefing was done, but the taxi to runway was very short and no lineup and wait...just spool up and go. Cockpit crew had not made any announcements to cabin at all so FA's were still up as we began down the runway. They scrambled to their seats.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by tryathlete

its a complete breach of safety protocol not to allow the crew to secure the cabin and passengers prior to landing.
And a violation of FAA regulations. All service items must be clear before landing.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:55 pm

Have several pilot friends, young and experienced who have accidentally said the "prepare for landing" to ATC. Could be something as simple as that.
phlwookie likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.