Pilots forgetting to announce landing

Old Apr 9, 19, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Pilots forgetting to announce landing

I was in 1A today flying to IND. I was tracking our flight on flight tracker and saw we initially dipped below our cruise level T-30 from landing as expected. No announcement. Then of course 20 minutes later the gear dropped () and still no announcement. I waited a few minutes watching the flight attendant just milling about in the galley of the 175. Seeing we were about a few thousand feet AGL i said to the flight attendant "you know we're on final and about to touch down". She got all rattled and called the FA in the back "HE DIDn't TELL US".

When we landed and pulled up to the gate she opened the cockpit door and said "you know you never told us we were landing".

Awesome.
Old Apr 9, 19, 9:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
I was in 1A today flying to IND. I was tracking our flight on flight tracker and saw we initially dipped below our cruise level T-30 from landing as expected. No announcement. Then of course 20 minutes later the gear dropped () and still no announcement. I waited a few minutes watching the flight attendant just milling about in the galley of the 175. Seeing we were about a few thousand feet AGL i said to the flight attendant "you know we're on final and about to touch down". She got all rattled and called the FA in the back "HE DIDn't TELL US".

When we landed and pulled up to the gate she opened the cockpit door and said "you know you never told us we were landing".

Awesome.
Haha. I experienced this on Saudia recently. Senior Purser still standing and writing a report at 500-1,000 ft AGL, and the other J FAs just milling about. One of the FAs finally noticed looking out the window. They buckled up a few seconds before the wheels hit the ground.
Old Apr 9, 19, 9:55 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

This reminded me of an experience I had on DL flying midnight SFO-JFK redeye 5-6 years ago. As some of you know DL’s terminal is fairly close to runways 1 L/R and SFO is pretty quiet that time of the night. For some reason they couldn’t get the safety video to play and had to do a manual demonstration which commenced just right before we began taxiing. It was one of those roll up on the runway and kick up the throttle type of departures. The throttle picked up while the manual safety demonstration was still ongoing.

Oops. Needless to say the FAs freaked out.
Paella747 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 19, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

People in the back have no idea of the pilots work load
  • Aviate
  • Navigate
  • Communicate
Old Apr 9, 19, 10:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
DL offers dinner, presumably domestic FC, until 9 pm? Is this a policy change? The rule always had been 8 pm.

Or are we talking about the meals themselves bbeing garbage?
Spanish likes this.
Old Apr 9, 19, 10:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
  • Aviate
  • Navigate
  • Communicate
I don't know what thet are expected to do. Is informing the cabin crew about preparing the cabin for the landing, one of the tasks that the pilots are supposed to do as part of normal operating procedures?
Old Apr 9, 19, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
  • Aviate
  • Navigate
  • Communicate
At the same time, the PF and PM are considered responsible for the safety of all onboard. Not passing along even a single notification that the flight is starting, or at any point in, the landing process is arguably failing to account for the safety of the "people in the back". Landing a passenger aircraft is not simply getting wheels on the runway without excursion. If the landing process is potentially so difficult, perhaps FAs should be notified well in advance to end cabin service and sit down. I've personally seen this done multiple times when rough descents and/or landings were considered possible. As someone who once caught the last flight to the Northeast out of LAX before Hurricane Sandy hit the area, one of the nastier landings of my flying experience, as well as landed in a couple of other significant meteorological events (thanks Nor'easters at BOS!), I'm aware that some landings can require a significant amount of attention. But a failure to notify one's fellow crewmembers of landing should not be so easily dismissed.

Last edited by TheBOSman; Apr 9, 19 at 10:53 pm
Old Apr 9, 19, 11:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post

Awesome.
On a flight from LAX to HKG a month or so ago, the pilot didn't announce to the FA's to be ready for takeoff. The J class FA was getting my dinner order when we started the takeoff roll. Flight attendant was startled, almost fell back and had to run to her seat to get bucked in.

Last edited by seigex; Apr 10, 19 at 11:24 pm
Old Apr 10, 19, 12:39 am

• Aviate
  • Navigate
  • Communicate
I think most people on FT have heard this truism. However, the "aviate" that you are doing here is keeping the plane safely aloft. If there isn't an emergency or other unexpected situation, the pilots should be planning for having all three.
Old Apr 10, 19, 1:39 am

Happened to my partner once when he was working a domestic flight. Almost identical situation. Pilots bought all the FAs drinks that night 😆
BeanTownBoy and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Apr 10, 19, 2:58 am

Isn't everything checklist, checklist, checklist? So, there would be a "prepare the cabin for landing/take-off announcement" on the checklist, right? If yes, it was skipped. If no, why not?
Old Apr 10, 19, 3:19 am

Maybe the pilot had a domestic earlier with one of the cabin crew and decided to see how this goes
Old Apr 10, 19, 3:32 am

Funny that this topic came up, I had been meaning to post a similar experience for some time!

Flying AA on JFK-SFO, I can't recall if pilots had come on the PA to tell FAs to prepare for landing, but regardless, FA were picking up the remaining plates/glasses from passengers seats. My personal tray table was still out with the table cloth and glasses, when boom the plane jolted, as if we had hit turbulence. The flight attendant then bent down to look out the window, as did I, and to her and most everyone's surprise, we had landed! To this day, I still don't understand how its possible that we could have landed with service items still on trays and passengers/flight attendants not seated and buckled in. All the FA's and passengers started looking around at each other, like ... just happened?!
BearX220 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 19, 4:52 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
It ainít UPS!

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
I don't know what thet are expected to do. Is informing the cabin crew about preparing the cabin for the landing, one of the tasks that the pilots are supposed to do as part of normal operating procedures?
its a complete breach of safety protocol not to allow the crew to secure the cabin and passengers prior to landing.
Old Apr 10, 19, 4:53 am

Programs: Flying blue
I donít know how this can be possible not to be aware of landing even without announcement.
Personally I always feel the change in sound and speed the moment we leave the cruising altitude. Few minutes later the top of decent is announced and landing in 20-30 minutes. As the minutes pass, the flight usually gets bumpier, there are more turns than before, and when the landing gear is out, everybody can hear it and feel it.
So if I notice all that how can a flight attendant who flies much, much more than me be so unfamiliar with normal flight procedures and just wait for the big announcment from the flight deck?
I know they might be busy, but donít they plan carefully all the work according to flight time and service requirements specific to airline and class? So I guess they must be aware of time and landing can not be such an unexpect event even without announcement
Wilbur and strickerj like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: