Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Any chance AA doesn't succumb to variable award prices?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many

Now that UA is following DL, should we assume it's only a matter of time before they totally ruin our program?
Passmethesickbag likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Now that UA is following DL, should we assume it's only a matter of time before they totally ruin our program?
its already ruined. Unless they go to variable pricing on partner awards, I’d say the damage is already done given lack of saver availability.

howe er, to answer your thread title question, no chance that they don’t follow suit, just a question of when.
no1cub17 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
No. AA will move to variable award pricing too.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by beachfan

its already ruined. Unless they go to variable pricing on partner awards, I’d say the damage is already done given lack of saver availability.

howe er, to answer your thread title question, no chance that they don’t follow suit, just a question of when.
Still beats DL and UA...for now.

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
No. AA will move to variable award pricing too.
Really sad that no airline sees a viable option other than "copy whatever DL does."

Last edited by JY1024; Apr 9, 2019 at 10:14 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts - please use multiquote
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:31 pm

Really sad that no airline sees a viable option other than "copy whatever DL does."
Just to be clear, I have absolutely no inside knowledge at all. But DL and UA went to variable prices. Nearly all the LCC's have that system. Hilton has variable prices and Marriott has introduced peak and non peak awards. I don't see any way that AA doesn't eventually follow suit.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Just for Main Cabin they've already got four price levels + an unpublished level (select dates that require a higher number of miles (in addition to Level 1 and 2 awards) -- with lousy availability in the lowest level. I don't see how variable pricing could be materially worse.
CPRich and MarkOK like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:32 pm

Still beats DL and UA...for now.
Does it? I mean if AA won't sell me anything but 25k o/w except at the worst routings, is 19k on DL (for example) really worse?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:35 pm

You can transfer Amex points to Delta, and Chase points to United. This inflates DL and UA mileage currencies. AA is protected to an extent because of a lack of credit card transfer partners.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
AS has said they won’t go varaiable (not recently though)
SightseeMC likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by davie355
You can transfer Amex points to Delta, and Chase points to United. This inflates DL and UA mileage currencies. AA is protected to an extent because of a lack of credit card transfer partners.
You can transfer just about anyone's points to BA. One could argue this incentives AA not to have much saver award availability.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:55 pm

I think they will definitely go dynamic/variable, but probably not for a year or more. They'll need to get Citibank to tighten or get rid of the mailer codes first to cut down on the number of bonus miles you can get (like Delta does with Amex Lifetime and UA with Chase 2-year).

Not that I want any of the "dynamic" stuff to go in.

Hilton was a massive devaluation (IMO), Delta was the worst (IMO). I mean seriously, 280,000 miles for 1 round trip from NY to Hawaii compared to 100k on United and 160k on AA (I think that's what AA currently is now, but I could be wrong--depends on if you get lie-flats or not).
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: BA
I theorized that Economy Web Specials are AA testing variable award pricing here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30967779-post21.html
Antarius and SightseeMC like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Yes, but even before, it was just a matter of when they would make it even more AAwful.

The AAwful airline’s program will become more AAwful the more it tries to mimic DL.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Airlines hand out miles like candy...it's not a surprise that variable award pricing follows.

Good thing RDM earning/burning for flight awards is completely irrelevant to how I evaluate the personal utility of the AAdvantage program.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
AA started moving towards variable award prices when they introduced multiple AAnytime tiers several years ago. Now that DL and UA have pulled their award charts, I think it's only a matter of time before AA follows suit. Don't expect any advanced notice on further AAdvantage changes, given Mr Parker's record on changes.
JDiver likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.