Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Any chance AA doesn't succumb to variable award prices?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any chance AA doesn't succumb to variable award prices?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Glad we burned most of our miles already with partner awards over the past several years (including a 2019/2020 flight coming up).

As for someone saying that DL still continues to win praise despite SkyPesos, I think you have to consider this point: DL has consistency in service (at least a better recent track record than AA). AA is not a leader in service, but it was in award redemption (particularly for partners). And with that going away, what’s left at AA? With Oasis, AA is just a fee or two away from Spirit.
84fiero and beachmouse like this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by shimps1
What are you talking about? They already have the 1 bonus is 24 month rule. ;-)
LOL! Between Barclay and Citi, if one does the "official" method, that's 4 cards you can rack up 240,000 miles or more every 2 years.
Then of course, there's the "other" method if you don't mind being LOL/24.

IF (when) AA does do 'dynamic' I hope it's not like Delta, but rather closer to Southwest or JetBlue.
I dislike the Delta method where every time I check, the pricing changes and unless you're flying coach/domestic, it seems that you never find the old "saver" awards. Half a million Skymiles for a round trip to Europe is atrocious, IMO. Of course, so is 280,000 miles to Hawaii. (First in both cases).

But there's really not anything any of us can do that'll change things. Delta didn't change, Southwest didn't change, I doubt UA or AA will either.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
https://onemileatatime.com/american-...d-search-tool/
Old Apr 9, 2019, 5:42 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
From what I can see variable award pricing is already effectively in place on many routes and the new award bookings engine is clearly designed to support variable awards.

One interesting twist is that the new award bookings engine also passes the elite status of the user in each query which suggests that award availability and/or pricing will vary by elite status. it might be nothing more than having the "enhanced award availability" benefits for EXPs actually show up online or maybe they are planning other elite award "enhancements". Will be interesting to see what they end up doing.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Just went to check award travel lhr-dfw in December...the entire UI is changed and is a complete cluster. No 57.5 anywhere including BA flights. Now it's 110K one way with the matrix now showing "calendar, coming soon" and "filter, coming soon".

Oh boy here we go...
Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by TravelLawyer
And with that going away, what’s left at AA? With Oasis, AA is just a fee or two away from Spirit.
I haven't flown Spirit yet but is it possible that post-Oasis, Spirit's "Big Front Seat" will be a better domestic first class hard product than any AA narrowbody?

AA, if even WFBFers are considering Spirit a viable alternative, you have a serious problem.
Austin787 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by enviroian
Just went to check award travel lhr-dfw in December...the entire UI is changed and is a complete cluster. No 57.5 anywhere including BA flights. Now it's 110K one way with the matrix now showing "calendar, coming soon" and "filter, coming soon".

Oh boy here we go...
This is LHR-DFW for December:

(also, see the post TWO posts up from your's)
Attached Images  
airb330 and _kurt like this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JonNYC
This is DFW-LHR for December:

(also, see the post TWO posts up from your's)
I'm on AA.com desktop version now. That screen shot is no longer available. It's entirely new and resembles UA now.

I'll try to take a screen shot.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:24 pm
Suspended

I'm on AA.com desktop version now. That screen shot is no longer available. It's entirely new and resembles UA now.

I'll try to take a screen shot.
Don't bother, READ the link. I took that screenshot 4 minutes ago.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't bother, READ the link. I took that screenshot 4 minutes ago.
Yeah i got it now, default is the new UI though. Pain.

No need to use caps.

Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Yeah i got it now, default is the new UI though. Pain.
That's gonna be the very least of our worries very soon.

No need to use caps.
They WORKED, thankfully for all.
beofotch likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by TravelLawyer
Glad we burned most of our miles already with partner awards over the past several years (including a 2019/2020 flight coming up).

With Oasis, AA is just a fee or two away from Spirit.
Actually, in a recent published airline survey Spirit ranked higher than AA. The only airline to rank lower than AA was Frontier.

The way to solve the miles issues is to make the airlines keep a monetary reserve against the miles they issue/sell, that are outstanding. That would surely change the mileage devaluation hustle.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
That's gonna be the very least of our worries very soon.
Uh oh, that sounds foreboding.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:02 am

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
All bad news but at least partners aren’t affected yet. This is where the real value of AA miles is.

I hope this this doesn’t affect the BA on AA short haul domestic sweet spot as I regularly use this. As others have said this is all the more reason to abandon domestic carrier miles and CC’s in favor of bank points.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:59 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by flyguy6
All bad news but at least partners aren’t affected yet. This is where the real value of AA miles is.

I hope this this doesn’t affect the BA on AA short haul domestic sweet spot as I regularly use this. As others have said this is all the more reason to abandon domestic carrier miles and CC’s in favor of bank points.
When DL did this kind of thing, it hit the ability to use foreign airline programs’ miles for mileage ticket seats on DL. I expect this AA change will further hit BA point users.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.