Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] 2019 (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 23, 2019, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
2019 Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] (consolidated)

With hundreds of annual reports of and queries about delayed, diverted, canceled flights we have established this consolidated thread to prevent these from overwhelming other forum threads.

For assistance and useful resources when your flight is affected, see AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, travel policy, delay, cancel etc. resources (master thread)

● For information on current and recent AA flight delays, check out: AACargo.com

● For information on U.S. Airport Delays, check out: FAA Flight Delay Information

● For information about holds, delays, etc. on airports, flights, historical data check FlightStats.

KVS Availability Tool - read here for further information, with access to WSpan Operational Info.

ExpertFlyer also provides FLIFO / Flight Status Comments for current flights in it's Flight Status section here.

● For "translation" of FLIFO terms, use this page on FlyerGuide.

● For current and forecasted weather delays, use Weather.com Airport Delays

● To see a flight's path within the US radar areas and delay histories, use FlightAware flight tracking. (N.B. Some features require a free signup.)
Print Wikipost

Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] 2019 (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by iahphx
Despite some delayed media coverage, it seems to me that the Judge's order has eliminated the problems caused by the mechanics slowdown. On good weather days, AA is operating 99 to 100% of their flights with an on-time performance in the 80s. On bad weather days -- of which there are still more this summer than average -- anything can happen, of course. I ran into the "tarmac rule" and then got my crew timed out last week on a transcon due to a ridiculous ATC delay (no weather problems on either coast, but ATC kept opening and closing air corridors in the Midwest due to thunderstorms, preventing us from ever taking off).

I think this is pretty typical of AA's operation the past few years and similar to that achieved by the other major US airlines (except DL, which runs a better operation).

Does anyone see anything different?
Well, everyone has their own hobby horse, and I've already divulged mine up-thread: AA754 (PHL-CDG) and AA755 (CDG-PHL; NB--usually not the same plane). Since mid-late May they are "reliably" being cancelled at least once a week on average, with no evident change in this rate in function of court orders (or anything else I am aware of).
Old Aug 28, 2019, 1:43 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
Well, at quick glance at a few high frequency routes:

Yesterday's ORD-LHR included AA/86 late 2.5 hrs for maintenance.

Today's JFK-SFO includes AA/179 delayed 3.5+ hrs for maintenance.

So... I'd say they're not increasingly my confidence.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1K-SFO
Well, at quick glance at a few high frequency routes:

Yesterday's ORD-LHR included AA/86 late 2.5 hrs for maintenance.

Today's JFK-SFO includes AA/179 delayed 3.5+ hrs for maintenance.

So... I'd say they're not increasingly my confidence.
So when I look at live-cancelled at flightaware right now (Wednesday night), I see only 10 cancelled flights in the entire AA system and 87% on time. Is that not presenting an accurate picture of the operation? FWIW, there's only one cancelled in't flight on the list, CDG-CLT.

https://flightaware.com/live/cancelled
Old Aug 29, 2019, 3:50 am

I had a fun one recently. Original routing was DEN-DFW-FCO-TGD, with the last leg on Alitalia. My first flight was delayed 30 minutes due to ATC holding planes at their origin due to weather at DFW. No worries, I had a 2 hour layover. Well, 30 minutes turned into an hour, which turned into two hours... by some miracle I arrived at DFW two gates from my connecting flight. I saw the 777 and the jetbridge still in place as we taxied into our gate. I ran over but... doors closed. A pile of people appeared behind me over the next few minutes. Bummer.

After a very long phone call I was finally rebooked DFW-FRA on Lufthansa and FRA-VIE-TGD on Austrian. Wasn't expecting to fly Star Alliance today, but I'll take it! Scary 1 hour connection in FRA... arriving at a remote gate, busing to the terminal, going through customs and walking to my connecting gate unbelievably only took 40 minutes and I made it with time to spare. In the end I was only 3 hours late to my destination despite the missed flight and extra connection, thanks AA.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 4:11 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
So when I look at live-cancelled at flightaware right now (Wednesday night), I see only 10 cancelled flights in the entire AA system and 87% on time. Is that not presenting an accurate picture of the operation? FWIW, there's only one cancelled in't flight on the list, CDG-CLT.

https://flightaware.com/live/cancelled
I don't think it's so much about the cancellations as the delays.

Today: NRT-DFW AA/164 5+ hrs late (!) for maintenance. DFW-LHR AA/20 1:40 late for maintenance. Or SFO-JFK AA/164 3hrs late for maintenance. That's a lot of blown connections on those three flights. And that's just three routes.

Until they get the maintenance delays, they're not instilling any confidence.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 11:44 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
AA36 DFW-MAD appears to have been delayed by maintenance; resulting in AA95 MAD-JFK potentially being delayed by around 3 hours.

As someone on AA95 today, I'll be hoping that delay grows to ensure I get a voucher for EU261!

M
wrp96 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 1:15 pm

SFO-JFK AA/164 delayed 8:11am to 10:28am for mechanical.

SFO-JFK AA/166 currently delayed 313pm to 830pm for mechanical.

Two prime business flights on a Friday with business travelers headed home. These kinds of delays have got to be impacting the corporate relationships AA has.

Last edited by 1K-SFO; Aug 30, 2019 at 1:28 pm
Old Aug 30, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
So when I look at live-cancelled at flightaware right now (Wednesday night), ... FWIW, there's only one cancelled in't flight on the list, CDG-CLT. ...
That's pretty funny, since, because of the uncertainty regarding CDG-PHL,

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Well, everyone has their own hobby horse, and I've already divulged mine up-thread: AA754 (PHL-CDG) and AA755 (CDG-PHL; NB--usually not the same plane). Since mid-late May they are "reliably" being cancelled at least once a week on average, with no evident change in this rate in function of court orders (or anything else I am aware of).
I was just saying to a colleague that when the loss of a day is a trip-killer, maybe it makes sense to start booking CDG-CLT-PHL instead of CDG-PHL.

Showed me!
Old Aug 30, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA - PLT Marriott: Silver
Hi All, long post here.
I've booked a package through Orbitz (I know, i know, never book through OTA's, this is my first time booking through anything but AA.com) on AA2777 connecting to FJ811 (DFW-LAX-NAN), with a 3 hour layover at LAX as scheduled. Unfortunately the inbound for tomorrow's AA2777 (AA24 operating DFW-MUC, and AA25 MUC-DFW) is significantly delayed (roughly 6.5 hours on AA24, with knock on effects to impact AA25, and thus AA2777). I've checked and every flight DFW-LAX tomorrow is showing as 0 availability, due I'm assuming, to the thunderstorms in Dallas earlier today.

My question is, given that there is only 1.5 flights a day from the US mainland to Fiji (7w from LAX, 3 w from SFO), what are my options here?

The way I see it, there's two options:
1)I see minimal availabilty left on DFW-SFO tomorrow, and plenty on SFO-NAN, so maybe a reroute through SFO
2) Rerouting DFW-SYD-NAN on QF/FJ

What do I do here? I know AA can't issue voluntary changes since the ticket is controlled by Orbitz. And I'm sure there's a 2 hour wait on the PLT line given the DFW Storms and Hurricane Dorian. Do I need to get on the phone with Orbitz now and see if they can do a re-route? My flight tomorrow is not yet showing as delayed, but given the details of the incoming flight, DFW Tstorms, and Dorian, I'm not all too positive AA will find a replacement by then.

Thanks!
Old Aug 30, 2019, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by 1K-SFO
SFO-JFK AA/164 delayed 8:11am to 10:28am for mechanical.

SFO-JFK AA/166 currently delayed 313pm to 830pm for mechanical.

Two prime business flights on a Friday with business travelers headed home. These kinds of delays have got to be impacting the corporate relationships AA has.

And the next SFO-JFK AA276 is also going to be late too. Inbound plane is an hour late due to maintenance.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 12:10 am

Programs: aa,ua,dl,sw
Friday Aug 30. Extensive cancellations - weather?

while there were thunderstorms in DFW Friday afternoon there were extensive cancellations that seemed to be broader than simply weather related.

What is is going on?
Old Aug 31, 2019, 1:59 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
The LAX flights out to DFW are all cancelled and heavily delayed (11 hours) apparently due to Tornados and heavy weather.

M
Old Aug 31, 2019, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by TexasAussie
Hi All, long post here.
I've booked a package through Orbitz (I know, i know, never book through OTA's, this is my first time booking through anything but AA.com) on AA2777 connecting to FJ811 (DFW-LAX-NAN), with a 3 hour layover at LAX as scheduled. Unfortunately the inbound for tomorrow's AA2777 (AA24 operating DFW-MUC, and AA25 MUC-DFW) is significantly delayed (roughly 6.5 hours on AA24, with knock on effects to impact AA25, and thus AA2777). I've checked and every flight DFW-LAX tomorrow is showing as 0 availability, due I'm assuming, to the thunderstorms in Dallas earlier today.Thanks!
Looks like 2777 is now a PVG inbound and the LAX flight on time. You should be fine, right?
Old Sep 11, 2019, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Been a while from me, but noticed that tonight's (9/11) AA160 ORD-ATH is running an impressive 8 hours late (and counting) due to crew availability. ETD is 1:30am and ETA is 7:00pm. The return has been delayed to an ungodly 8:15pm ETD 12:15am ETA. Yuck.

This has got to be a new low for a EU-bound flight. Surprised they didn't just pull the plug.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 11:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by dkc192
Been a while from me, but noticed that tonight's (9/11) AA160 ORD-ATH is running an impressive 8 hours late (and counting) due to crew availability. ETD is 1:30am and ETA is 7:00pm. The return has been delayed to an ungodly 8:15pm ETD 12:15am ETA. Yuck.

This has got to be a new low for a EU-bound flight. Surprised they didn't just pull the plug.
I wouldn’t be surpr

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.