Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What do you do when the passenger is quite overweight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do you do when the passenger is quite overweight?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JTE458
I just can't stop thinking you are calling them all Pieces of Sh*t. Is there a better acronym then person of size to use?
Well, the initialism FA is already taken...
VXforever likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
"Life is not fair and it will never be", that's the victim's attitude and letting the airline's getting away with injustices and excessive profit. Who will pay for the extra seats? The airlines will, it will cut from their profits, to provide better customer care and comfort and to provide fair access to essential transportation. Most cabins don't go out full anyway...Minimally we need better protections of consumers/ flyers rights, COS and seatmates alike.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by nk15
"Life is not fair and it will never be", that's the victim's attitude and letting the airline's getting away with injustices and excessive profit. Who will pay for the extra seats? The airlines will, it will cut from their profits, to provide better customer care and comfort and to provide fair access to essential transportation. Most cabins don't go out full anyway...Minimally we need better protections of consumers/ flyers rights, COS and seatmates alike.
If "the airlines will.... to provide better customer care"..............
No, the cost will come from passengers if they can get get it.
We don't require clothing manufactures to charge more for bigger sizes. A bigger person uses more soap, should they get a bigger bar for the same price?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Badenoch
I have little interest in timidly cooperating with an FA who attempts to relocate me to a lesser location from a seat I pre-selected and paid extra for simply to accommodate a POS. If I didn't pre-select then I will grudgingly accept a move to seat where I'm not being encroached upon. If there are no available seats any suggestion that I leave the aircraft instead of the POS will be met with polite but resolute non-compliance until they opt for a different course of action.
I agree, if I am gonna be inconvenienced and relocated it should be in a same quality or better seat, and either you roll the cabin forward or upgrade me. This should be standard operating procedure and written into consumer protections, so we don't have to fight for things like this every time...This should be standard policy and consumer protection, no random events of whatever you can get...Or at least standard compensation due.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:32 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by Nuhusky
what aa and all airlines should do though is require a second seat be purchased and if they don’t boarding be denied. Airlines are quick to measure and weigh our bags
This.

There is also the safety issue. I pay for my seat and the space around it. I have sympathy for people of size, but also expect my space to be respected....let the thing begin.
aerosexual likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:10 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Jimmie Jet
I have had this happen twice, both on United. I calmly got up , grabbed my roll aboard and swam upstream against the loading passengers

when asked at the door what was going on I said, “ I have time to take a different route as my seat is being filled by my neighbour”

2 outcomes, the first, I got a refund and put on the next flight , 3 hours later

the second they found an economy row for me with an empty middle and a passenger by the window

i have no idea what became of the POS situation but I removed myself from that equation

i get that this worked as I’m a flexible traveller
Coupling your in-flight experiences with the "extra space during travel" policy on AA's website provides insight as to how to handle a potential similar situation on a future flight.

Thank you, OP, for initiating this thread. Crocodile tears for the "politically correct" posters out there, expressing outrage and indignation.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:12 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by mvoight
We don't require clothing manufactures to charge more for bigger sizes.
Many clothing manufacturers DO charge for their larger sizes. Just check any online seller and you will easily confirm this fact. Extra fabric=extra cost.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A bit OT, but "political correctness" is about understanding and respecting diversity, which is relevant to the topic here, and it should not be used as pejorative (or at all).
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Originally Posted by BOB W
Many clothing manufacturers DO charge for their larger sizes. Just check any online seller and you will easily confirm this fact. Extra fabric=extra cost.
this actually really bothers me. I wear smaller clothing but I pay the same price as a larger person who uses 2x the fabric
VXforever likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nuhusky

this actually really bothers me. I wear smaller clothing but I pay the same price as a larger person who uses 2x the fabric
Unless if you are wearing VERY cheap clothing, the raw materials that go into your clothes make up an insignificant portion of the price
nineworldseries and MarkOK like this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:45 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by nk15
Who will pay for the extra seats? The airlines will, it will cut from their profits, to provide better customer care and comfort and to provide fair access to essential transportation.
WRONG - the cost will be passed along via increased fares. Have you ever taken an economics or finance course? There is no line item for companies to eat sh*t based on obese customers
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VXforever
WRONG - the cost will be passed along via increased fares. Have you ever taken an economics or finance course? There is no line item for companies to eat sh*t based on obese customers
Maybe. Maybe not. Airfare seems to be based mostly on what the market will bear, rather than actual costs. That's why you can often get (for example) a CMB-HKG-SFO business class ticket on CX for way less than HKG-SFO. Or why you can fly, first class, on UA, YVR-SFO-OGG rt for much less than SFO-OGG rt.

You are literally paying much more for a subset of the flights because you are departing from a place where rich people live.

Which is not to say that I think airlines should design seats with more space for the morbidly obese. If you need more space (or even if you just want more space) you should pay for it. If you're too fat to fit in an economy seat then pay for more space or don't fly.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:19 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Maybe. Maybe not. Airfare seems to be based mostly on what the market will bear, rather than actual costs. That's why you can often get (for example) a CMB-HKG-SFO business class ticket on CX for way less than HKG-SFO. Or why you can fly, first class, on UA, YVR-SFO-OGG rt for much less than SFO-OGG rt.

You are literally paying much more for a subset of the flights because you are departing from a place where rich people live.

Which is not to say that I think airlines should design seats with more space for the morbidly obese. If you need more space (or even if you just want more space) you should pay for it. If you're too fat to fit in an economy seat then pay for more space or don't fly.
fair point.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:26 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
It's threads like this that ended up with me being hospitalized twice in my early 20's for eating disorders, followed by many years of therapy. I'm not posting that to look for sympathy -- I am far past that.

And the seat belt extender is not a measure of anything. I can sit in 10C and not need one, and switch to 10D and need one. If the ends fray, they chop it off and make it slightly smaller rather than replace the whole belt. Delta confirmed this to me, so maybe I am making a bad assumption that AA does the same to save costs.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
This situation, while unfortunate, is all to common these days. It should be pretty obvious when a POS is in the gate area and won't fit into a single seat. There are some grey areas, where people will, but there are also very obvious situations where they won't. If there is a policy in place about this, who enforces it? What if the flight is full and a neighboring seat is not available? Wasn't there a big deal a few years back at Southwest where they had people go into the back of the ticket counter to sit in a seat to make sure they fit? Unfortunately, there have been a number of lawsuits against airlines by people forced to sit next to a POS, with the most recent one claiming back and neck problems. In the age of the shrinking airline seat and increasing passenger size, this has become a more common issue.

Slightly off topic, I was at Universal Orlando a couple weeks ago. Got onto an attraction and someone in the row in front of me was big. Not overly obese, but pretty tall and a bit on the heavy side. Couldn't get the shoulder bar to lock into place. A number of workers were trying to get it to go down, but were unsuccessful. I felt bad for this kid since he waited for over an hour for the ride, but had to get off because the safety harness wouldn't lock into place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.