Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What do you do when the passenger is quite overweight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do you do when the passenger is quite overweight?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I'm surprised that no one is addressing the real answer to this question, which is posted above. AA does require this passenger to book a 2nd adjacent seat. There is nothing wrong with requesting that AA follow their own policies. This passenger should be moved to a seat with a vacant adjacent seat, or, of unavailable, be asked to deplane. Really this is on the GA -- they should not have been allowed to board (IMO it is much better for all involved to handle this situation with private conversation at the gate than a public one on the plane)
The real, real answer is that any POS should take the responsibility of booking the second seat when they book the first seat. The airline doesn't know this is a POS until they arrive at the boarding gate. Book the second seat when you book the first seat. Problem solved.
HMPS, nineworldseries and Badenoch like this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nk15
I am not writing this from the COS perspective, but in general, for everybody involved. This is awkward for everybody. What I wrote about the upgrades in the premium cabins, I didn't mean it for the COS, I meant it for the displaced seatmate or for a cascading effect of elite status passengers. If I am in an aisle seat and losing some of my seat, I want to be put in a comparable seat (not a middle in the back), and if there isn't one free they should put me in PE or whatever, or roll the cabin forward to solve the issue.
I am not quite sure what this means. "for the displaced seatmate" - ok get that. What is a cascading effect of elite status passengers? Are you suggesting that only elites should get a cabin bump if they are displaced by a COS? What about the non-elite on a full Y fare versus the barely elite who is on a lower class economy fare.

I am not trying to antagonize you, I just legit don't know what you're suggesting.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by StAugustine
The real, real answer is that any POS should take the responsibility of booking the second seat when they book the first seat. The airline doesn't know this is a POS until they arrive at the boarding gate. Book the second seat when you book the first seat. Problem solved.
You are correct.
But unfortunately today we live in a society where "everything is someone else's fault, not mine" culture. So the POS who are adding numbers daily to their ranks are able to say, blame and sue the likes of McD for serving such high calorie counts !
Until we develop a civic responsibility for our own actions and the "PC empathizers " understand the damage they are creating, we are doomed. The lawyers will make out handsomely.
enviroian and Mahogany like this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
To echo what others have said, AA has a policy. They should enforce it just like they should enforce the baggage policy.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by DCAFly
I am not quite sure what this means. "for the displaced seatmate" - ok get that. What is a cascading effect of elite status passengers? Are you suggesting that only elites should get a cabin bump if they are displaced by a COS? What about the non-elite on a full Y fare versus the barely elite who is on a lower class economy fare.

I am not trying to antagonize you, I just legit don't know what you're suggesting.
I meant role the cabin forward, upgrade an elite to move the displaced person to an equal/better seat, so nobody directly involved necessarily gets a free or too high an upgrade. Like the example mentioned somewhere above, someone from PE moves to J and the displaced person goes to PE (or same from regular-MCE-PE).
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nk15
I meant role the cabin forward, upgrade an elite to move the displaced person to an equal/better seat, so nobody directly involved necessarily gets a free or too high an upgrade. Like the example mentioned somewhere above, someone from PE moves to J and the displaced person goes to PE (or same from regular-MCE-PE).
I am positive there are far more PoS incidents than open seats in the forward cabin.

Save for the a321T, I see an empty premium seat once in 80 flights.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by HMPS
You are correct.
But unfortunately today we live in a society where "everything is someone else's fault, not mine" culture. So the POS who are adding numbers daily to their ranks are able to say, blame and sue the likes of McD for serving such high calorie counts !
Until we develop a civic responsibility for our own actions and the "PC empathizers " understand the damage they are creating, we are doomed. The lawyers will make out handsomely.
This view underestimates the importance of socioeconomic, political, public policy, cultural, environmental, genetic, etc. factors in human behavior and claims that everything is free will, the "pull yourself up from your bootstraps" mentality, which is very incomplete and inadequate, and basically leads up to "blaming the victim". There has to be a balanced view that takes all these influences into account. The obesity epidemic in the US (and other issues, such as gun violence) are systemic, societal, multifactorial problems, not just "individual" problems.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Antarius
To echo what others have said, AA has a policy. They should enforce it just like they should enforce the baggage policy.
The way to get AA and other airlines to enforce the policy is to make it less convenient for them to do otherwise. That means not accepting a VDB or meekly suffering through having much of your seat being taken up by a POS. When the flight delays increase because normal-sized passengers are not compliant then perhaps they will take it more seriously.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:55 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
To some specific incidents on AA....

For reference, I am 6' with broad shoulders - I fill out a seat pretty well but am always well within the boundaries of my armrests, usually just my thigh touching it.

Had a middle seat in MCE on a red-eye SMF-CLT where I was between 1 POS and 1 even larger POS. I had to roll my shoulders in to make it fit. The FA saw my predicament and waved me to the back - gave me the rear jump seat for the flight. Slept the entire way until we were about to land and I wedged myself back in the seat. I am sure that was against all sorts of policies - but with a sold out flight I had nowhere else to go. I was the easiest variable to change in that equation. She got an AApplause Cert.

Window seat on LAX-ORD hop, and I had the window seat. POS in the middle seat and an average sized woman in the aisle seat. FA came by and let the POS know there were some open double seats in the last 2 rows if they wished to move to the back for more comfort. He gladly accepted and was on his way, even wished his former row mates a nice flight. No fuss, pretty simple.

Have yet to be apart of a onboard Mexican Standoff over seat space encroachment. But I stand in the camp that if you are outside the published AA policy of 1 inch over the armrest, I will request some sort of change to remedy the situation. I don't mind moving, even if it is to a less desirable seat location - just make sure my drink is full. I think most folks can see the difference between 2 semi large folks who happen to be seated next to each other AND someone who is certainly a POS and they willfully neglect to abide by the requirement to buy an extra seat in the effort to save money and make other uncomfortable enough to move (thereby getting the extra seat for free).
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
This rationale does not make sense. How do you compare paying more for clothes to losing personal space on a plane? I wear a size 14 shoe and I agree I don't pay more than someone wearing a size 10. However, my size 14 shoe is not taking up precious space on an airplane where the seat width at BEST is 18 inches!
The main issue here is comfort for the POS and for the person that may have to sit next to them. Each person paid for their seat and as such deserve the right to that personal space. In short, the best solution would be for the POS to pay for two seats. How an airline can price it, sell it and market it is up to the airline. At the end of the day, money talks, BS walks. We can all pontificate (just like I"m doing) but the ultimate power is where we put our dollars.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Badenoch
The way to get AA and other airlines to enforce the policy is to make it less convenient for them to do otherwise. That means not accepting a VDB or meekly suffering through having much of your seat being taken up by a POS. When the flight delays increase because normal-sized passengers are not compliant then perhaps they will take it more seriously.
One would think that enforcing bags would help speed up boarding and hitting that D0. But they don't. Except for a random once-in-a-blue-moon time where they'll take out a measuring tape and argue with you when youre in J on a 777.
jtav559 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:29 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Moderator note:

These threads pop up periodically, but it really is up to AA to enforce their policy as noted in post #5:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30907247-post5.html

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/special-assistance/special-assistance.jsp?anchorEvent=false&from=Nav#extraspa ce

Extra space during travel

For the safety and comfort of all customers, if a customer’s body extends more than 1 inch beyond the outermost edge of the armrest and a seat belt extension is needed, another seat is required. We encourage customers to address all seating needs when booking.
  • When you call to book, Reservations will make sure you get 2 adjacent seats at the same rate.
  • If you didn’t book an extra seat in advance, ask an airport agent to find out if 2 adjacent seats are available.
  • You may be offered a seat in a higher class of service that may provide more space; in this case, you’ll be responsible for the fare difference.
  • If accommodations can’t be made on your original flight, you can buy seats on a different flight at the same price as your original seats.
We've allowed this thread to continue, but it seems to have run its course. If you have something substantial to add, please send me a PM (with what you'd like to add), and we'll consider re-opening.

Thanks.

aztimm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.