FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   What do you do when the passenger is quite overweight? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1961678-what-do-you-do-when-passenger-quite-overweight.html)

aerosexual Mar 19, 2019 6:43 pm

What do you do when the passenger is quite overweight?

I was on a flight with a passenger who was quite overweight and took up some of my own seat. The flight attendants were quite rude on this flight and it was full so I didn't bother contact them about it. In retrospect, what should I or you have done? I would have also accepted compensation in this instance but like I said, rude flight attendants so I didn't bother to try.

Anybody have any experience with this? Does AA have a policy for this (relocation or compensation or otherwise?) I have never successfully had an airline issue me one of those sorry/goodwill vouchers. They always just tell me to complain to the online customer service afterwards if they tell me anything at all.

I wrote to the airline afterward about this particular matter, we'll see what happens in that regard.

VXforever Mar 19, 2019 6:55 pm

Charge/fine the offending passenger for invading your space. https://www.travelpulse.com/news/air...-his-seat.html

aerosexual Mar 19, 2019 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by VXforever (Post 30907198)
Charge/fine the offending passenger for invading your space. https://www.travelpulse.com/news/air...-his-seat.html

I saw that already but be serious. That's an unique situation with an audacious passenger and a very embarrassed overweight passenger who would rather acquiesce than make a scene. Most people would refuse such an offer.

gateH15 Mar 19, 2019 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by aerosexual (Post 30907227)
I saw that already but be serious. That's an unique situation with an audacious passenger and a very embarrassed overweight passenger who would rather acquiesce than make a scene. Most people would refuse such an offer.

you could discretely complain to FAs, even if they are rude. Maybe they could switch you with non rev in the back.

Uzzar Mar 19, 2019 7:15 pm

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/special-assistance/special-assistance.jsp?anchorEvent=false&from=Nav#extraspa ce

Extra space during travel

For the safety and comfort of all customers, if a customer’s body extends more than 1 inch beyond the outermost edge of the armrest and a seat belt extension is needed, another seat is required. We encourage customers to address all seating needs when booking.
  • When you call to book, Reservations will make sure you get 2 adjacent seats at the same rate.
  • If you didn’t book an extra seat in advance, ask an airport agent to find out if 2 adjacent seats are available.
  • You may be offered a seat in a higher class of service that may provide more space; in this case, you’ll be responsible for the fare difference.
  • If accommodations can’t be made on your original flight, you can buy seats on a different flight at the same price as your original seats.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Mar 19, 2019 7:35 pm

I would ask the FAs to call the GA. I'd require the GA to either find you a new agreeable seat, move the pax (or offload him) or reaccomodate you on another flight if an alternate empty seat couldn't be found. Yes it's not a very pleasant task but it is their job.

Nuhusky Mar 19, 2019 7:38 pm

This happens to all of us but try to remember the person next to you is a human being. Yeah it sucks they are invading our space but how do you think that person feels

i sat next to a guy who was spilling over and I was near pressed against the wall. The entire flight he kept his arms wrapped around his body to contain his invasion. Flight sucked but I felt bad for him

what aa and all airlines should do though is require a second seat be purchased and if they don’t boarding be denied. Airlines are quick to measure and weigh our bags

AANYC1981 Mar 19, 2019 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by aerosexual (Post 30907165)
I was on a flight with a passenger who was quite overweight and took up some of my own seat. The flight attendants were quite rude on this flight and it was full so I didn't bother contact them about it. In retrospect, what should I or you have done? I would have also accepted compensation in this instance but like I said, rude flight attendants so I didn't bother to try.

Anybody have any experience with this? Does AA have a policy for this (relocation or compensation or otherwise?) I have never successfully had an airline issue me one of those sorry/goodwill vouchers. They always just tell me to complain to the online customer service afterwards if they tell me anything at all.

I wrote to the airline afterward about this particular matter, we'll see what happens in that regard.

drink to forget about the situation

reeg2 Mar 19, 2019 7:55 pm

I'd say: move along, there's nothing to see here. You don't deserve compensation; yes it's unfortunate, but like delays and cancellations, it's just the reality you live in...

HMPS Mar 19, 2019 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Nuhusky (Post 30907315)
This happens to all of us but try to remember the person next to you is a human being. Yeah it sucks they are invading our space but how do you think that person feels

i sat next to a guy who was spilling over and I was near pressed against the wall. The entire flight he kept his arms wrapped around his body to contain his invasion. Flight sucked but I felt bad for him

what aa and all airlines should do though is require a second seat be purchased and if they don’t boarding be denied. Airlines are quick to measure and weigh our bags

In all my years I had only one ( thank god) who spilled over into my seat. I politely requested he contain himself. He did, sat with arms crossed and shoulders a bit huched. Long 3 hr flight, I got up three times and let him know I will be longer than "normal" so he can relax.
As to how he/ she feels : THEY KNOW WHO THEY ARE. They are counting on taking advantage of "poor me". Besides I don't know if it is a medical condition ( a good cop out) or too many trips to the buffet.
They know it will be uncomfortable for selves and others. They will not take proactive action since it costs $$$.
BTW when in Y I do pray and pass some anxious moments when I see a POS approaching

Nuhusky Mar 19, 2019 8:07 pm

I think everyone holds their breath when someone clearly overweight walks onto the plane hoping they keep moving back

ATLflyer2017 Mar 19, 2019 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by HMPS (Post 30907367)
In all my years I had only one ( thank god) who spilled over into my seat. I politely requested he contain himself. He did, sat with arms crossed and shoulders a bit huched. Long 3 hr flight, I got up three times and let him know I will be longer than "normal" so he can relax.
As to how he/ she feels : THEY KNOW WHO THEY ARE. They are counting on taking advantage of "poor me". Besides I don't know if it is a medical condition ( a good cop out) or too many trips to the buffet.
They know it will be uncomfortable for selves and others. They will not take proactive action since it costs $$$.
BTW when in Y I do pray and pass some anxious moments when I see a POS approaching

Wow...just wow. I can't believe that you would ask someone who CLEARLY is overweight to "contain themselves". I can't imagine how embarrassing requesting a seatbelt extension or being told you're too big to fit. I understand obesity is possible to control and sometimes it isn't. If "normal" sized people on here bellyache and complain about how uncomfortable flying is, how bad must it be for a COS. They obviously don't try to purposefully invade your space. It's uptight and inconsiderate people like you who make people feel like they need to apologize for everything they often can't control when flying and ultimately makes flying uncomfortable and almost traumatic.

VegasGambler Mar 19, 2019 8:43 pm

I'm surprised that no one is addressing the real answer to this question, which is posted above. AA does require this passenger to book a 2nd adjacent seat. There is nothing wrong with requesting that AA follow their own policies. This passenger should be moved to a seat with a vacant adjacent seat, or, of unavailable, be asked to deplane. Really this is on the GA -- they should not have been allowed to board (IMO it is much better for all involved to handle this situation with private conversation at the gate than a public one on the plane)

nk15 Mar 19, 2019 9:17 pm

Upon reflecting on this I think that the airline should be required to provide two adjacent seats for the price of one (second seat free), for customers above certain size. There has to be some ADA type of accommodation. What is happening now is not fair to either COS or other passengers.

gateH15 Mar 19, 2019 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by jackvogt (Post 30907468)
Wow...just wow. I can't believe that you would ask someone who CLEARLY is overweight to "contain themselves". I can't imagine how embarrassing requesting a seatbelt extension or being told you're too big to fit. I understand obesity is possible to control and sometimes it isn't. If "normal" sized people on here bellyache and complain about how uncomfortable flying is, how bad must it be for a COS. They obviously don't try to purposefully invade your space. It's uptight and inconsiderate people like you who make people feel like they need to apologize for everything they often can't control when flying and ultimately makes flying uncomfortable and almost traumatic.

they absolutely can control it - they can purchase 2 seats if they are too big too fit. Or at least ask the gate agent to block a middle seat of the flight is not full.
Why would I have to suffer because someone can’t control it?
If someone is very tall they obviously have a choice to purchase MCE to be comfortable. Same
goes to the POS