Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What do you do when the passenger is quite overweight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do you do when the passenger is quite overweight?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Southwest has the most comprehensive, thoughtful and respectful policy for large customers - there's no shaming and no fee for an extra seat if needed. Part of their approach is quoted below:What is Southwest Airlines' policy for Customers of size?Customers who encroach upon any part of the neighboring seat(s) may proactively purchase the needed number of seats prior to travel in order to ensure the additional seat(s) is available. The armrest is considered to be the definitive boundary between seats; the width of the narrowest and widest passenger seats (in inches) is available on our Flying Southwest page. The purchase of additional seats serves as a notification to Southwest of a special seating need, and allows us to adequately plan for the number of seats that will be occupied on the aircraft. In turn, this helps to ensure we can accommodate all Customers on the flight/aircraft for which they purchased a ticket and avoid asking Customers to relinquish their seats for an unplanned accommodation. Most importantly, it ensures that all Customers onboard have access to safe and comfortable seating. You may contact us for a refund of the cost of additional seating after travel. Customers of size who prefer not to purchase an additional seat in advance have the option of purchasing just one seat and then discussing their seating needs with the Customer Service Agent at their departure gate. If it is determined that a second (or third) seat is needed, they will be accommodated with a complimentary additional seat.
Gig103, nk15 and Aidan like this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:26 pm

Programs: Southwest A+/CP, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by nk15
You are missing the point, both the obesity epidemic and the narrowing airline seats are the side effects and results of the same capitalism system being unchecked and going off the rails. If the trends continue and we go with the attitude expressed above, in 5 years obesity will be at 50% of the population and airline seats will be 15 inches wide, and so on. The system is broken and needs to be fixed. Doug if he had his way there will be only one airline and would make all seats 10 inches wide and ask everybody to buy two, because that's what unregulated capitalism does.
If this was actually the case, a capitalist market would likely bankrupt the airline by not flying it if forced to buy two 10" seats. Flying is not a right and never has been. There is nothing enshrined in law anywhere that guarantees someone the right to fly. If you don't like having to buy two seats, drive. If going overseas, be a decent person and buy two seats or a premium seat. I'm typically a kind and patient person but I've never put up with someone spilling half way into my seat largely due to the fact that I have a bad back. I can understand and frequently deal with some minor overflow, but you know who you are if you can't fit with the armrest down. I will not forego the full seat I paid for because you decided to flaunt the rules.

Or like others have pointed out, fly Southwest (which I fly almost exclusively).
Badenoch likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
A few years back while flying Delta to France, I was seated in the second row of Economy and there was a lady POS in the center row of the bulkhead ahead of me with her two children and husband. She could not fit in the seat because the armrest would not go up. She was quite embarrassed and people were starring and the FA was pretty much ignoring the developing situation. She asked if anyone was willing to trade seats with them but no one volunteered. I offered her my seat and sat next to her children for the duration of the flight. The guy I had been seated next to in the second row was visibly pissed off with the switch. It’s hard to watch this situation unfold and not feel their pain. I honestly believe many people do not have a concept of their size and the size of an airline seat.
Aidan likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by Badenoch
The point of this thread is not the broader issues of unregulated capitalism or unregulated caloric consumption by Passengers of Size.

The question is what do you do when the passenger beside you is quite overweight and spills in to your seat. Anything else is just excusing POS for thinking their size, self-inflicted or not, entitles them to take up someone's else's space.
The relevance of my points is that there is a real problem that affects everybody, COS and everyone else, but the airline industry (see unregulated capitalism) does not deal with it properly (other than some bs unfair and ineffective guidelines that are not followed) and passes it on to the customer to deal with it during boarding and being seated. The airline guidelines for buying two seats are unfair and are not followed for the most part, I assume, and many COS are deterred from flying at all, I would guess, which is unfair. When the issues arise in the cabin it is awkward for everybody, nobody wants to deal with it, including the FAs, there is embarrassment, discomfort, concern about being ejected from the aircraft, etc. So the consumers are left to suck it up and deal with it on their own, for the most part.

So, this is the issue. Instead of solving it efficiently themselves, AA and others have made it the passengers problem, to be dealt with on a case by case basis in the field. That's why we have this thread. AA only cares to get your money and have an on time departure, beyond that, adios and suck it up.

My proposed potential solutions are that (a) we need some systematic research to first understand the extend and aspects of the problem, if that doesn't exist already, (b) followed by consumer advocacy to push for passenger rights for free second seats (based on some criteria), and (c) consumer advocacy for regulating airplane seat sizes at the federal level. In the meantime, (d) the cabin crew may also need better training and corporate direction how to deal with issues (swift and discreet passenger re-accommodation, including using premium cabins for that purpose). At the individual micro level, (e) I guess you have to find the best and most discreet and reasonable solution for yourself. And (f) perhaps write in and complain to the airlines about improving the situation.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bucketlist
Southwest has the most comprehensive, thoughtful and respectful policy for large customers - there's no shaming and no fee for an extra seat if needed. Part of their approach is quoted below:What is Southwest Airlines' policy for Customers of size?Customers who encroach upon any part of the neighboring seat(s) may proactively purchase the needed number of seats prior to travel in order to ensure the additional seat(s) is available. The armrest is considered to be the definitive boundary between seats; the width of the narrowest and widest passenger seats (in inches) is available on our Flying Southwest page. The purchase of additional seats serves as a notification to Southwest of a special seating need, and allows us to adequately plan for the number of seats that will be occupied on the aircraft. In turn, this helps to ensure we can accommodate all Customers on the flight/aircraft for which they purchased a ticket and avoid asking Customers to relinquish their seats for an unplanned accommodation. Most importantly, it ensures that all Customers onboard have access to safe and comfortable seating. You may contact us for a refund of the cost of additional seating after travel. Customers of size who prefer not to purchase an additional seat in advance have the option of purchasing just one seat and then discussing their seating needs with the Customer Service Agent at their departure gate. If it is determined that a second (or third) seat is needed, they will be accommodated with a complimentary additional seat.
This is a decent example of sensible capitalism trying to regulate itself, I guess...
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aaronp84
If this was actually the case, a capitalist market would likely bankrupt the airline by not flying it if forced to buy two 10" seats. Flying is not a right and never has been. There is nothing enshrined in law anywhere that guarantees someone the right to fly. If you don't like having to buy two seats, drive. If going overseas, be a decent person and buy two seats or a premium seat. I'm typically a kind and patient person but I've never put up with someone spilling half way into my seat largely due to the fact that I have a bad back. I can understand and frequently deal with some minor overflow, but you know who you are if you can't fit with the armrest down. I will not forego the full seat I paid for because you decided to flaunt the rules.

Or like others have pointed out, fly Southwest (which I fly almost exclusively).
No, you can't bankrupt the airline, because, if left unchecked, Doug will first initiate a merger of the three legacies, create a monopoly, drive the smaller players of the market, and then introduce the idea that all seats should be made at the child size (say 10 inches), and then we calculate how many seats each person needs (1-4), with each seat sold at current prices...

Flying is essentially a necessity in the US, given the distances.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
There are issues that deal with human emotions and in that vein nobody feels comfortable. Not the person who is over weight or the person that has the seat next to them. The prudent thing to do in my opinion is for the overweight person to buy two seats at a fair price. For as greedy as airlines are creating a fare bucket for this situation is an easy remedy and makes the situation more tenable for everyone involved. Flying is a privilege that we pay for. Airlines offer us a defined space to call ours during our journey, and we have a right to that space. Being sensitive to the needs of the overweight passenger is important as well as the needs of those affected by them. Gate agents can create a win win situation in these instances.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: Southwest A+/CP, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
The relevance of my points is that there is a real problem that affects everybody, COS and everyone else, but the airline industry (see unregulated capitalism) does not deal with it properly (other than some bs unfair and ineffective guidelines that are not followed) and passes it on to the customer to deal with it during boarding and being seated. The airline guidelines for buying two seats are unfair and are not followed for the most part, I assume, and many COS are deterred from flying at all, I would guess, which is unfair. When the issues arise in the cabin it is awkward for everybody, nobody wants to deal with it, including the FAs, there is embarrassment, discomfort, concern about being ejected from the aircraft, etc. So the consumers are left to suck it up and deal with it on their own, for the most part.

So, this is the issue. Instead of solving it efficiently themselves, AA and others have made it the passengers problem, to be dealt with on a case by case basis in the field. That's why we have this thread. AA only cares to get your money and have an on time departure, beyond that, adios and suck it up.

My proposed potential solutions are that (a) we need some systematic research to first understand the extend and aspects of the problem, if that doesn't exist already, (b) followed by consumer advocacy to push for passenger rights for free second seats (based on some criteria), and (c) consumer advocacy for regulating airplane seat sizes at the federal level. In the meantime, (d) the cabin crew may also need better training and corporate direction how to deal with issues (swift and discreet passenger re-accommodation, including using premium cabins for that purpose). At the individual micro level, (e) I guess you have to find the best and most discreet and reasonable solution for yourself. And (f) perhaps write in and complain to the airlines about improving the situation.
Life is not fair, and it never will be. If you want to be dealt with discreetly, buy two seats. If you want comfort, buy two seats. If you want a few wide seats added to each plane, where does it stop? How many? Who gets them? Essentially you should pay for the two seats it displaces. What you're asking for in the bold portion above is insane. If anything, the person being displaced should be moved up front, and NOT the COS flaunting the rules. Air travel is less than comfortable for 99% of the population, deal with it like everyone else.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
How on earth is it unfair to charge a person that takes up the space of two seats the value of two seats? If you physically take up the room of a second such that for safety and comfort reasons another passenger is wholly unable to occupy that seat, why should the airline take the loss of revenue?

What is next? Baggage of Size (BOS) must be free? Meals of size (MOS) must be free? Sodas of size (SOS) must be free? Liquor of size (LOS) must be free?

Oversized vehicle loads pay excess road fees. Plus sized clothing is priced at price points higher than regular sized clothing. Are we going now to insist that a size 24 dress be priced the same as a size 2 dress?
satman40 and aaronp84 like this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:00 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by jackvogt
Wow...just wow. I can't believe that you would ask someone who CLEARLY is overweight to "contain themselves". I can't imagine how embarrassing requesting a seatbelt extension or being told you're too big to fit. I understand obesity is possible to control and sometimes it isn't. If "normal" sized people on here bellyache and complain about how uncomfortable flying is, how bad must it be for a COS. They obviously don't try to purposefully invade your space. It's uptight and inconsiderate people like you who make people feel like they need to apologize for everything they often can't control when flying and ultimately makes flying uncomfortable and almost traumatic.
If s/he is CLEARLY is overweight they KNOW they present a problem to those around him.who are subjected to discomfort in a cramped seat.. If it is embarrassing to be asked to contain themselves...what have they been doing all their life ? Stuffing their mouths ?
This PC business of being empathetic for ANY & ALL for ANY reason is just a guilt trip you lay on people so you can continue to enjoy your lives at other's expense.

If they have to travel why can't they purchase two seats ?

Upon reflecting on this I for reasons think that the airline should be required to provide two adjacent seats for the price of one (second seat free), for customers above certain size. There has to be some ADA type of accommodation. What is happening now is not fair to either COS or other passengers.
Very good idea, who will pay for it ? The fest of the flyers !
Can I get an accommodation because I am allergic to various smells from people, clothes , perfumes etc ? I absolutely hate pigs and yet I read of a support pig ...I would do a voluntary DB. because I can't even stand the sight of a pig.
redeyedonkey likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by Nuhusky
This happens to all of us but try to remember the person next to you is a human being. Yeah it sucks they are invading our space but how do you think that person feels
I hope they feel like a pos for making someone else suffer in agony for weeks after a flight due to 1. not being able to sit in their seat and having to squat sideways leaning over the aisle armrest 2. not being allowed out of their seat due to turbulence for most of the flight. I totally get why airlines have rules but in practice don't enforce them. I always fly domestic first in the US now or just don't fly because of experiences like that when we couldn't afford to do otherwise. Why make one of the many 'first class monetisation' benefits to airlines go away by actually stopping people too fkn huge for their seat from ruining flights for others.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire, Caesars Diamond
It doesn't matter, body shape and size is to a significant extend out of people's control and likely complex and multifactorial (genetics, medical, lack of access to right food, SES, rearing, advertising, etc.). This is access to basic transportation and should not be conditional and discriminatory. At the same time there has to be better public policy to prevent and address the obesity issue more systemically.
As long as you're fine with tall people being given first class free and the extra being added as a charge to your coach ticket I think we're all good. After all you can't fix their problem by giving a seat next to them free...
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Life is not fair, and it never will be. If you want to be dealt with discreetly, buy two seats. If you want comfort, buy two seats. If you want a few wide seats added to each plane, where does it stop? How many? Who gets them? Essentially you should pay for the two seats it displaces. What you're asking for in the bold portion above is insane. If anything, the person being displaced should be moved up front, and NOT the COS flaunting the rules. Air travel is less than comfortable for 99% of the population, deal with it like everyone else.
Absolutely correct. Passengers who can fit into an airline seat should not be inconvenienced by those who cannot.

I have little interest in timidly cooperating with an FA who attempts to relocate me to a lesser location from a seat I pre-selected and paid extra for simply to accommodate a POS. If I didn't pre-select then I will grudgingly accept a move to seat where I'm not being encroached upon. If there are no available seats any suggestion that I leave the aircraft instead of the POS will be met with polite but resolute non-compliance until they opt for a different course of action.

The reason POS don't book a second seat and the airlines don't enforce their POS policy is IMO because too many people fret about confrontation and acquiesce to having half their seat being taken over.
HMPS likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am not writing this from the COS perspective, but in general, for everybody involved. This is awkward for everybody. What I wrote about the upgrades in the premium cabins, I didn't mean it for the COS, I meant it for the displaced seatmate or for a cascading effect of elite status passengers. If I am in an aisle seat and losing some of my seat, I want to be put in a comparable seat (not a middle in the back), and if there isn't one free they should put me in PE or whatever, or roll the cabin forward to solve the issue.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:01 pm

I’m a big boy at 6’0. 300 lbs. on southwest it works great at not having even skinny people sit next to me. I can fully contain myself and do not need an extender butbwhen I spread my legs and lean back people keep on walking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.