Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Cancels All Flights to Venezuela 15 Mar 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Cancels All Flights to Venezuela 15 Mar 2019

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
BTW, Venezuela isn't the only country where international companies can't get their revenue or profits out. Russia has had blocked currency and McD copes partly by trying to purchase as much as possible (wheat, for example) from Russian companies.
Maybe a good reason for the lack of carriers from the US to RU
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mvoight
Maybe a good reason for the lack of carriers from the US to RU
Airlines can require that tickets be paid in hard currency. IIRC this is what happened when DL had the JFK-SVO route, although it also was done with a strange SU codeshare arrangement for passengers buying tickets with rubles: they were seated together in a back section of the aircraft and served by SU FAs, I think with different catering too.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 1:30 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium
I just came back from Caracas, Venezuela last week. Great place. As a tourist, you have nothing to worry about it. Much of the Western media is overblown - it's truly miserable for locals there not getting paid in USD. Otherwise, for a tourist it's a fantastic place and your USDs go a long way.

Otherwise, I've flown to Caracas a dozen times in the past couple years - the flights are always packed. I wrote a short apercu of my recent trips on the other Flyertalk forum if anyone is interested:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30620240-post122.html
Old Mar 29, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
Well, we just received the final blow 2 days ago.

I guess my days of Plat are over hehehe.
Guess I won't be traveling to the US by a US Airline, only VE airlines or Copa if I want to do a stop.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mvtm

Guess I won't be traveling to the US by a US Airline, only VE airlines or Copa if I want to do a stop.
Were you constantly flying Miami-CCS on AA? Is that how you continued getting plat?
Old Mar 31, 2019, 1:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mvtm

Wow, but is there some way to take a partner from Caracas and connect to AA? Does Copa have reasonable timings to do it this way? I'm not sure what would be legal routings, MEX for some parts of the USA, maybe Aruba but it's not normally an airport for connections, PTY?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.