Wiki Posts
Search

How to squeeze value out of AA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by VXforever
UPDATE: I arranged an Ethiad Apartment run, along with some positioning flights. Still have over 600k to burn.

i really like the idea of going to Dougie’s bar and seeing if he can get another DUI.
This is a great option. QR is also worth a look. Not quite the same amazing suites EY offers, however the service on board is some of the best out there.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:26 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by cmd320
This is a great option. QR is also worth a look. Not quite the same amazing suites EY offers, however the service on board is some of the best out there.
has anyone had any luck bagging the QSuite via AA miles?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Yes. That's one of the easier ones to book. Typically lots of dates and options.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)

Yes, many of us have had multiple QR award flights, some of which have been on Qsuite. However, QR is notorious for equipment swaps right up to flight day (right up to departure for flights out of DOH). I've had QR flights that swapped back and forth between Qsuite and non-Qsuite over and over and over, even after I had a BP in hand. The good news is that there are some routes that are more Qsuite stable, such as a few of the LHR flights and I think IAD and JFK, and possibly now LAX.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:08 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by JonNYC
*THIS* is the response the OP deserved.
and what do you mean by “deserved”?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:09 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anabolism
Yes, many of us have had multiple QR award flights, some of which have been on Qsuite. However, QR is notorious for equipment swaps right up to flight day (right up to departure for flights out of DOH). I've had QR flights that swapped back and forth between Qsuite and non-Qsuite over and over and over, even after I had a BP in hand. The good news is that there are some routes that are more Qsuite stable, such as a few of the LHR flights and I think IAD and JFK, and possibly now LAX.
good to know about the frequency of equipment swaps involving QSuite
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite

i dispute your characterization of me. I’ve actually learned quite a lot from this threat, as have others, and already implemented some of the suggestions.
I'm going to assume that you legitimately do have the one million redeemable miles you say you do, I don't have any specific reason to believe otherwise. Your original post and subsequent posts were written in a manner that were consistent with trolling, even if that wasn't your intention. Many of the responses you received (including mine) trolled you back. One of the rules of Flyertalk is that people aren't supposed to use this forum to personally attack one-another, and many post in this thread boarder on that, so I too am kind of surprised the moderators have let this thread go on this long, but I find it entertaining non-the-less.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by donotblink
I'm going to assume that you legitimately do have the one million redeemable miles you say you do, I don't have any specific reason to believe otherwise. Your original post and subsequent posts were written in a manner that were consistent with trolling, even if that wasn't your intention. Many of the responses you received (including mine) trolled you back. One of the rules of Flyertalk is that people aren't supposed to use this forum to personally attack one-another, and many post in this thread boarder on that, so I too am kind of surprised the moderators have let this thread go on this long, but I find it entertaining non-the-less.
The thread has a legitimate purpose. An individual is looking for the most valuable way to utilize their miles. The fact that a bunch of members chose to troll the OP is not a reason to close the thread, but rather a reason for said comments to be removed.
enviroian and SFO777 like this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by cmd320
The thread has a legitimate purpose. An individual is looking for the most valuable way to utilize their miles. The fact that a bunch of members chose to troll the OP is not a reason to close the thread, but rather a reason for said comments to be removed.
Correction: the OP isn't looking for the most valuable way to use their miles, you have LOTS of threads on that, they're specifically looking to use their miles in a manner that would cause AA to lose money.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:58 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by donotblink
Correction: the OP isn't looking for the most valuable way to use their miles, you have LOTS of threads on that, they're specifically looking to use their miles in a manner that would cause AA to lose money.
Even still, this thread serves a legitimate purpose. As others have expressed, I am not the only one with this objective.

Last edited by VXforever; Mar 20, 2019 at 12:10 pm Reason: "the threat serve" --> "this thread serves"
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Thanks - glad at least some people share my perspective.
Way I see it, it's just a business transaction. AA will gladly make passengers (and their own employees it seems) miserable in order to squeeze every last cent out. No reason that customers shouldn't push back in return. They're not a charity, no reason to do them any favors.

That being said, I wouldn't go so far as to commit actual fraud.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:58 pm

Programs: CK or bust
When was this?

This would also go to show that, contrary to some posters' assertions, not every offering within a FFP has been vetted for financial soundness.
That’s the key here. Frequent flyer programs are one way streets. There is no leverage, “financial soundness,” nor any obligation to actually provide value, only the desire to create that appearance. As a business tool to create revenue (selling funny money in the form of an invited currency otherwise known as miles to third parties) and to encourage future purchasing behavior, these programs represent a virtual currency that is entirely subject to the needs of the airline’s business model. However unlikely it may be, American reserves the right to end or change their program, often in ways that can devalue it and in some instances on very short notice.

Every member’s ability to derive value from it will differ. “Win” with outsized redemptions or “lose” with low value ones, at the end of the day you’ve already played the game by amassing those miles so the program already won even before all of that scheming came to mind.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
UPDATE: I arranged an Ethiad Apartment run, along with some positioning flights. Still have over 600k to burn.
Just so that there's no misunderstanding, you have not hurt AA by doing this. Oh, and it's Etihad, not Ethiad.

I'd easily pay 250k to push Doug Parker off a cliff though (as long as he lived, to be clear).
Now you're talking about a potentially deadly assault (push someone over a cliff, and you will likely not be able to control the outcome) over a few drinks that weren't provided. I'm with JonNYC on this one, -- Mods should have stopped this pages ago. I didn't think that constructing methods of physical or economic retaliation against travel providers was part of the purpose of FT.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Now you're talking about a potentially deadly assault (push someone over a cliff
LOL

too many people on here get excited on here.

Dude she was kidding obviously.

FT cracks me up sometimes.
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by enviroian
Dude she was kidding obviously.

FT cracks me up sometimes.
Sure. Try the "I was just kidding" explanation on a TSA staffer after you joke about having a bomb in your carryon. Ask Governor Dukakis how it worked out for him.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.