Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades invalidate special fares

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPro
Upgrades invalidate special fares

i booked an AAVacation trip to Rome and the receipt showed the fare codes as marked with an (*). If I understand the rules I should earn eqd based on a percent of miles. When the miles and eqd’s posted to my account it was much less than expected. I called the service desk and was told that because I upgraded the flight that invalidatd the special fare. It took about an hour on the phone to get this response, even though most of that time was on hold. I asked if they could point out where I could find this information. I said I would be happy to hold while she looked. Her response was she had two kids to pickup and didn’t want to waste the time.

Is there such a rule?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Melodye
i booked an AAVacation trip to Rome and the receipt showed the fare codes as marked with an (*). If I understand the rules I should earn eqd based on a percent of miles. When the miles and eqd’s posted to my account it was much less than expected. I called the service desk and was told that because I upgraded the flight that invalidatd the special fare. It took about an hour on the phone to get this response, even though most of that time was on hold. I asked if they could point out where I could find this information. I said I would be happy to hold while she looked. Her response was she had two kids to pickup and didn’t want to waste the time.

Is there such a rule?
No. What "service desk" were you calling? If it was just the standard reservations number then they won't have a clue about this kind of thing, as evidenced by that bogus answer.

You need to call AAdvantage Customer Service, not the normal reservations number. Tell them you purchased a special fare via AA Vacations but the miles did not post correctly as indicated on aa.com.

This same thing happened to me last year, called AAdvantage Customer Service, they initially emailed me back and said it posted correctly, I replied with a copy of my receipt and link to aa.com special fare page, then they corrected it.

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)
GTITAN, Antarius and JDiver like this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Melodye

Is there such a rule?
Remember, the “Platinum Service Desk” is actually just a prioritized number to the reservations agents. (Executive Platinum and Concierge Key do have dedicated agents - Gold, we Platinum and Platinum Pro do not - we just get prioritized in order and ahead of non-Elites.)

Definitely follow up on JJeffrey’s recommendation.
chitink likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.