Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Normal Main Cabin Seats Blocked on Many Flights Mar 2029 - FIXED

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Gold

I just went to look at my reservation for a BOS-MIA-CUN, both on oasis 737s. Upon looking, only MCE and Preferred seats were open. I booked not long ago and most "free" main cabin seats were available. EF shows all of them as blocked. Any ideas on why that could be? I plugged in a few dates scattered around May and all showed the same.

edit: Just checked return CUN-CLT-BOS, on LUS 321, same thing!
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Hhonors Diamond, AA Exec Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by kjm12898
I just went to look at my reservation for a BOS-MIA-CUN, both on oasis 737s. Upon looking, only MCE and Preferred seats were open. I booked not long ago and most "free" main cabin seats were available. EF shows all of them as blocked. Any ideas on why that could be? I plugged in a few dates scattered around May and all showed the same.

edit: Just checked return CUN-CLT-BOS, on LUS 321, same thing!
AA is known for forcing the buy up. If you want seats together you need to pay!
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:45 pm

At least for the flight down, you are within 24 hours so those who bought basic economy are now checking in and getting an assigned seat (they don't get one until check-in).

If you're still AA plat as your programs section indicates, you should be able to get MCE/Preferred for free. Otherwise, you will be assigned a seat automatically.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by lowfareair
At least for the flight down, you are within 24 hours so those who bought basic economy are now checking in and getting an assigned seat (they don't get one until check-in).

If you're still AA plat as your programs section indicates, you should be able to get MCE/Preferred for free. Otherwise, you will be assigned a seat automatically.
Someone must of edited the title - I didn't put 12 March 2019. This is for a trip in May. I am PLT and selected the exit row, but it is very weird that every single seat is blocked, from the end of the exit row all the way back.

Now looking at my other upcoming trips, the same thing is showing! The AA app will not even display the seat map, it directs to the mobile site.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA
I've got a flight scheduled SYD-LAX on a 787 in May and it's also showing up completely booked. Which is crazy considering I booked it a few weeks ago and the cabin was mostly empty. And, the flight LAX-SYD 9 days earlier has plenty of open seats. Some sort of seat map bug?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Perhaps a glitch on dot com if it’s referring to the mobile site?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:21 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

There are several blocked seat on my flight to Hawaii in June. Which is irritating because I cant select two seats together without having to pay (there is one free seat available). This really odd because the flight that i was originally on (they canceled it) had plenty of space available to select seats.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:53 pm

On multiple upcoming MIA-MCO-MIA trips, only premium seats (MCE, elite, and preferred) are available on the 737 Max 8 flights. Every other seat is blocked. One daily 737-800 flight in each direction is canceled for the full week. I would assume this is all related to the Oasis retrofit problems.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Something-ist, Bombay Sapphire
Having the same problem during check in for a flight tomorrow (PHX-LAS). Mobile version is prompting seat changes to .com site (unusual). This is on a A320. Seems like a more wide spread problem?

Expert Flyer Seat Map
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by PHX_Flyer
Having the same problem during check in for a flight tomorrow (PHX-LAS). Mobile version is prompting seat changes to .com site (unusual). This is on a A320. Seems like a more wide spread problem?
Also seeing this for a trip in a few weeks. iOS app directs to .com site, and the seat map on the web page has all normal coach seats (not preferred / mce) marked as unavailable - even a Republic flight that was showing nearly empty in coach earlier today.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PHX_Flyer

Expert Flyer Seat Map
Seeing the same thing on every single flight LGA-DFW on 3/14.

The bonus is that both that App and the AA.com will not open the seat map at all.

They either have a glitch or someone is trying to irritate a lot of fliers at the same time.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Help with aa.com link

If you need technical support or help using aa.com, give us a call.”

U.S. and Canada: 800-222-2377 English: 24 hours, Spanish: 24 hours
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Originally Posted by B767capt

AA is known for forcing the buy up. If you want seats together you need to pay!
This. Why give something away when you can scare a few people into paying for it? Enough people equate “Not being assigned a seat” with not having a seat that it makes sense to block seats for awhile.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:15 am
Suspended

Should be fixed now
JDiver and dciolli like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Should be fixed now
Thanks. Can get to seat map again.
JonNYC likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.