Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Anyone know how to find out why a flight was delayed??

Old Apr 19, 18, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM1K,AA EXP

Does anyone know how to find out why AA 1977 PHL-SFO was delayed for more than 4 hours April 12, 2018? Only announcements kept referring to something at the tower. Thanks in advance for any information or ways to find out. We waited forever at SFO for friend to come in. His anticipated 7:05 PM arrival turned into something around midnight.
Old Apr 19, 18, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA CK, SPG Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by willie--wonka View Post
Does anyone know how to find out why AA 1977 PHL-SFO was delayed for more than 4 hours April 12, 2018? Only announcements kept referring to something at the tower. Thanks in advance for any information or ways to find out. We waited forever at SFO for friend to come in. His anticipated 7:05 PM arrival turned into something around midnight.
ExpertFlyer is a great resource that would give you that information, but flights are only searchable within seven days (itís just outside that window, now).
Old Apr 19, 18, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Flightaware shows the inbound flight was only a few minutes late, so it wasn't due to late arrival of the aircraft to PHL
Old Apr 19, 18, 10:07 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Fill out the form below and AA will send back their reason, usually within a day.

https://www.aa.com/contact/forms?topic=TRP#/

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 19, 18 at 10:47 pm Reason: Activate link
Old Apr 19, 18, 10:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP
SFO was experiencing 35 mph wind gusts that evening, so my money's on a ground stop.
Old Apr 20, 18, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM1K,AA EXP
Thanks, IAHtraveler. I sent the form into AA. Let's see what they say. I bought this ticket for my friend, a very infrequent flyer, and he's been complaining about this delay for over a week.
Old Apr 20, 18, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
"Something at the tower" - sounds like they were waiting for clearance, so I agree with rjw242..
This would have been beyond AA's control.

.Bad weather can also close down one of the 2 parallel main runways
JDiver likes this.

Last edited by mvoight; Apr 20, 18 at 7:13 am
Old Apr 20, 18, 8:09 am

Last summer I had to file a compensation claim for a delayed flight from Europe. The reply from the AA contact form gave the same explanation we were given at the airport. However, my claim was initially denied and they stated a different reason for the delay. By providing that initial reply with the correct information, my claim was reviewed and accepted. Said that to say, as time goes on, apparently explanations can change. The sooner you find out, the better. Hopefully you'll hear back soon. Happy Travels!
Old Mar 13, 19, 9:46 am

Hi All,
Slightly different question. We are on AA149 (DFW to ORD) then connection onward on JL9. There are 3 of us and I was able to get us all in First on JL on pts.

Anyway.. AA149 has been delayed twice now in a week to the point we would miss our connection in ORD.

Is there a way for me to check if the aircraft is in DFW? Or any other way to check the status in advance so I can ask them to rebook us as soon as possible instead of waiting too late? For example, there is a later AA flight to ORD that would allow us to make the connection. Or, I could (if seats are available) ask them to reroute us via Cathay from JFK (there is a morning flight from DFW to JFK that can make the 2pm connection). Sorry. Edited to add that our final destination is TPE.

Thanks so much!

Last edited by DFW1972; Mar 13, 19 at 9:49 am Reason: additional information
Old Mar 13, 19, 11:00 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by DFW1972 View Post
Hi All,
Slightly different question. We are on AA149 (DFW to ORD) then connection onward on JL9. There are 3 of us and I was able to get us all in First on JL on pts.

Anyway.. AA149 has been delayed twice now in a week to the point we would miss our connection in ORD.

Is there a way for me to check if the aircraft is in DFW? Or any other way to check the status in advance so I can ask them to rebook us as soon as possible instead of waiting too late? For example, there is a later AA flight to ORD that would allow us to make the connection. Or, I could (if seats are available) ask them to reroute us via Cathay from JFK (there is a morning flight from DFW to JFK that can make the 2pm connection). Sorry. Edited to add that our final destination is TPE.

Thanks so much!
On the day of departure, you can pull up your reservation and flight on the AA app and it will show you where the incoming flight is coming from and if it's on-time or not. At a hub like DFW this can change a few times in the hours before a flight.

Most agents will be reluctant to rebook you until an official delay posts to your first flight. But if does get delayed, then all options are on the table, including CX, etc.
Old Mar 13, 19, 12:25 pm

Thanks for the quick response.

Would AA book us on DL to JFK? The AA flight to JFK departs at 7AM. So unless AA posts the delay early, we wouldn't make that flight. But there is an 8AM on DL to JFK that would give us 1.5 hours before the CX flight.

Obviously, our preference is no delay, but I'd like to know our options and what I can and can't ask for.

There are later CX flights out of JFK and LAX, but they would all get us in to TPE on the morning of the 22nd, instead of the night of the 21st.
Thanks again!
Old Mar 13, 19, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz Gold Plus
Thanks for the quick response.

Would AA book us on DL to JFK? The AA flight to JFK departs at 7AM. So unless AA posts the delay early, we wouldn't make that flight. But there is an 8AM on DL to JFK that would give us 1.5 hours before the CX flight.

Obviously, our preference is no delay, but I'd like to know our options and what I can and can't ask for.

There are later CX flights out of JFK and LAX, but they would all get us in to TPE on the morning of the 22nd, instead of the night of the 21st.
Thanks again!
100% depends on your status level. If you're an ExPlat, you can probably find an agent to interline you. If you're not, AA will make every attempt to re-accommodate you on OneWorld airlines only unless there is no other option, and they won't care about delaying your arrival into TPE.

Your better bet may be to ask for an earlier AA flight (or UA flight) to ORD so you can make your original JL flight (unless you're hoping to get rebooked on CX).
Old Mar 13, 19, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by dantheflyingman View Post
100% depends on your status level. If you're an ExPlat, you can probably find an agent to interline you. If you're not, AA will make every attempt to re-accommodate you on OneWorld airlines only unless there is no other option, and they won't care about delaying your arrival into TPE.

Your better bet may be to ask for an earlier AA flight (or UA flight) to ORD so you can make your original JL flight (unless you're hoping to get rebooked on CX).

Thanks for the advice! Yeah... we were originally on the 5AMish flight from DFW to ORD on AA, but then AA cancelled that flight (no longer on the schedule) and booked us on AA149, which is the earliest out of DFW. Unfortunately UA's first flight out is 8AM.

I thought we would be OK, but AA149 has been really late 3 times in the past 14 days to the point where we would miss our connection. So... just getting a little nervous.
Old Mar 13, 19, 9:20 pm

Thanks for the advice! Yeah... we were originally on the 5AMish flight from DFW to ORD on AA, but then AA cancelled that flight (no longer on the schedule) and booked us on AA149, which is the earliest out of DFW. Unfortunately UA's first flight out is 8AM.

I thought we would be OK, but AA149 has been really late 3 times in the past 14 days to the point where we would miss our connection. So... just getting a little nervous.
Past performance rarely illustrates the likelihood of punctual arrival, especially on a domestic leg involving two major airports. I wouldn't worry too much unless and until you receive notice regarding your own flight. Have a backup itinerary in mind if you have to call or see an agent at DFW; it seems you have likely already done your own research.
DFW1972 likes this.