FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Stop the early boarding (D0) stupidity (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1958625-stop-early-boarding-d0-stupidity.html)

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Mar 1, 2019 7:56 am

In large airports there are limitations on early pushback. It's basically up to the ground controller. The Captain just can't close the door and instruct the ground crew to begin pushback. The crew would probably love to do so as they could be home or to the hotel earlier or have more time between flights.

freQ Mar 1, 2019 9:29 am

Happened to me at CLT. I had to use the restroom and we still had around 20 minutes before boarding started. All of a sudden they start boarding early - I have never seen a plane board that fast in my life. I was all like 😦

AA app didn’t say anything, that app is not always up to date.

deeruck Mar 1, 2019 10:14 am

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 30835253)
In large airports there are limitations on early pushback. It's basically up to the ground controller. The Captain just can't close the door and instruct the ground crew to begin pushback. The crew would probably love to do so as they could be home or to the hotel earlier or have more time between flights.

I don't think that's accurate. Do you actually know of a rule that prevents early push from a gate? My understanding is that they'll let you off the gate, pending any other traffic movements behind you. The ground controller isn't the one stopping you from departing early.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Mar 1, 2019 10:49 am

Listen to ATC recordings on YouTube. Pilots need approval for all ground movement. They simply can't drive off to and from the gate as they please. In fact when you listen to ground controllers at large airports there's often testy communication with pilots. If the controller has a tarmac full of planes he/she likely won't let an aircraft push early.

HofstraJet Mar 1, 2019 10:54 am

I recently saw a sign AA posted to GAs telling them to not board early as it is causing problems on the other end as flights arrive early with no gate. Couldn't find it now - did anyone else see this?

JonNYC Mar 1, 2019 11:01 am

Originally Posted by HofstraJet (Post 30835873)
I recently saw a sign AA posted to GAs telling them to not board early as it is causing problems on the other end as flights arrive early with no gate. Couldn't find it now - did anyone else see this?

If you mean this, not an admonition against early boarding, something else.

NewUSflyer Mar 1, 2019 11:06 am

Originally Posted by MarkOK (Post 30832966)
Every flight DFW to SWO does this. It's a small ERJ 135 or 140, they begin boarding at T-30 sharp or earlier, it takes 5 minutes to board the plane, then they start doing final boarding call announcements. Many times I get there at T-25 as and they are itching to close the door. Not sure yet at what point they would yet. Doubt they would call me too.

This was exactly the flight I was thinking of... In 2018 I missed the evening connection twice when I arrived on-time, but later than T-30 due to delayed incoming flights (at T-12 and T-15 I think); I was not allowed on. Frustrating; as the plane did not leave the gate for another 20+ minutes on both occasions. I do appreciate early boarding, but it feels unfair if you are denied while arriving on-time. I've asked GA nicely to no effect.

HofstraJet Mar 1, 2019 11:07 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 30835901)

https://twitter.com/TheForwardCabin/...60893496897536

Yes, that was it. Thanks!

saltytheseagull Mar 1, 2019 11:18 am

Originally Posted by jacca83 (Post 30835200)
Yes, I've ran into the same situation. Since on certain flights I am not so concerned with overhead space, I prefer to stay in the lounge as long as possible and board last. Like you, I leave the lounge exactly when boarding is scheduled to begin and by the time I get to the gate (5-10 mins later) they are announcing final boarding. I'll sometimes even get a comment made that they were about to give my seat away. I completely understand they are aiming for an on-time departure, but they need to get their act together and stop changing the rules/procedures without clearly communicating.

I like to leave the lounge at boarding time as well, but due to all the shenanigans (everywhere) lately I am becoming paranoid.

m44 Mar 1, 2019 11:44 am

You'all missed the causation. It is high time to outlaw the T-10 door closing. There is a simple solution the door closing needs to be the departure time. SIMPLE.
The idiots who invented T-10 door closing should have their MBA diplomas invalidated.

Cledaybuck Mar 1, 2019 11:56 am

Originally Posted by m44 (Post 30836081)
You'all missed the causation. It is high time to outlaw the T-10 door closing. There is a simple solution the door closing needs to be the departure time. SIMPLE.
The idiots who invented T-10 door closing should have their MBA diplomas invalidated.

Why make anything with air travel simple or intuitive.

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 30835901)

https://twitter.com/TheForwardCabin/...60893496897536

Interesting. No mention of how it affect passengers though, just how it affects AA.

ryan182 Mar 1, 2019 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck (Post 30836124)
Interesting. No mention of how it affect passengers though, just how it affects AA.

I think this is more aptly described as "typical" rather than "interesting". Only way to get AA to care about passengers is to convince them that an action would negatively affect their ability to sign up a co-branded credit card. Since they can get you an amazing offer in the terminal and on-board having you miss your flight due to closing the flight early actually increases the time they have to sell you the Citi card while still allowing them to pitch the Barclays card hours later on the next flight. This is a feature not a bug.

AA100k Mar 1, 2019 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by GNRMatt (Post 30833918)
I may be in the minority, but I'm good with them boarding early since it gives a somewhat better likelihood of us actually getting out of there on time. I find when they start boarding "on time" on the mainline planes, half the time they are still boarding by the time we should depart.

Maybe what they really need to do is bump up the departure time to 45 minutes instead of 30 minutes.

I, too, am not upset with early boarding given how long it takes people to board. Apparently there is no easy way to speed up boarding and I’d rather not arrive late at my next stop because it takes 40 minutes to board passengers and not 25. Thankfully, I’m not scheduled so tightly that whatever I’m doing in the lounge, can’t be terminated ten minutes earlier.

ijgordon Mar 1, 2019 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by NYCommuter (Post 30834978)
No but, sorry, I'm not sympathetic, except for the rudeness of the agent. I'd love it if flights boarded right when boarding was to start and if they closed the door and departed as soon as possible.

Are you joking?
So what's the point of publishing departure times in schedules? "Hey, we'll just depart whenever we're ready! If you're not there, too bad!"

This T-10, T-15, D0, WXYZ garbage is annoying. Agree with a post upthread that suggested cutting things off AT departure time. Then they can have 10 minutes to clear standbys and get the plane out. Build it into the ARRIVAL times for chrissake. Would be so much easier for consumers.

bostontraveler Mar 1, 2019 12:50 pm

Reading this reminds me of how screwed up air travel is in the US between this latest nonsense, the inevitable sitting on the tarmac forever...ugh.
Every European flight I take boards 30 minutes in advance (with a few exceptions). How is it that these flights can properly board in that timeframe and AA flights cannot?