FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Stop the early boarding (D0) stupidity (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1958625-stop-early-boarding-d0-stupidity.html)

enpremiere Dec 9, 19 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by LovePrunes (Post 31823177)
did you use the priority lane since they were boarding the mass of unwashed thru the regular lane? "First Class, coming through, step aside please"?
jk of course.
i care more about on time arrival than on time departure. they have some squishiness in their schedule they should be able to hold a min or two for late connections, but I guess they have to draw the line somewhere, and they've drawn it at D-0

It hovers from quarter to quarter between D-12 and D+17 depending on the station so you have to work the averages until another labor group dispute arises or some card-carrying genius decides to super-bank hubs :D

enviroian Dec 9, 19 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by GNRMatt (Post 31822796)
Unfortunately, due to the oligopoly nature of this business, it really doesn't matter all that much at the end of the day to AA to have low customer satisfaction.

This is the absolute bottom line.

lrdpenn Dec 9, 19 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by bscooter26 (Post 31822656)
This same exact situation happened to me last year in MIA, after getting held up in DFW (weather-related) for an hour and a half causing me to miss my connection to GCM and had to overnight in MIA. Got there before departure but after D10, but it didn't matter anyway because they had closed the jet bridge at D12, leaving me and what I remember being about 8-10 other people very much not happy with the gate agents.

I arrived at a gate recently at D-11 and denied boarding. Is this an IDB? Jet bridge was still connected and cabin door was still open. I have sent in a request to customer service, awaiting a reply.

From my understanding of the contract of carriage, I may lose my seat if not ready to board 15 minutes before departure. However, I can still board at D-10.

Beyond CoC, AA also has language in multiple places that indicates boarding at D-10 is possible. AA website says: "If you get to the gate less than 10 minutes before departure, the doors will be closed and you’ll be unable to board." Tickets printed on cardstock also show the 10 minute rule.

Tack Dec 10, 19 11:20 am

Originally Posted by lrdpenn (Post 31823765)
I arrived at a gate recently at D-11 and denied boarding. Is this an IDB? Jet bridge was still connected and cabin door was still open. I have sent in a request to customer service, awaiting a reply.

From my understanding of the contract of carriage, I may lose my seat if not ready to board 15 minutes before departure. However, I can still board at D-10.

Beyond CoC, AA also has language in multiple places that indicates boarding at D-10 is possible. AA website says: "If you get to the gate less than 10 minutes before departure, the doors will be closed and youíll be unable to board." Tickets printed on cardstock also show the 10 minute rule.

Their CoC is a mess. Vague and as you pointed out, often not aligned with other customer facing verbiage. When a corporation is siloed like AA is, itís a reflection of executive leadership or lack thereof. Iím starting to climb on board the Dump Doug band wagon.

ijgordon Dec 10, 19 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by lrdpenn (Post 31823765)

It's technically not IDB unless the flight was oversold. But it's similar enough that I believe it's reasonable to use IDB mandatory compensation as a guideline.

Have you read through more of this thread? I think there are examples of AA compensating people in similar situations. If the response from customer relations isn't to your satisfaction, you can then file a complaint with the DOT. Certainly to the extent you have evidence of your arrival time at the gate (e.g., a picture of the time on the gate display), that will help your case.

canyoncar Dec 18, 19 10:39 am

Lol, this just happened to me for a 12:30 departure.

At ~12:00 I walked up to gate and group 5 was boarding
I walked over to restroom, and just as I was arriving back to the gate at 12:06, they were paging me as a "last and final boarding call" :D
The group of GAs were friendly, but one said that I was the last person to board OMG! I smiled and laughed; I was in a good mood.

I personally didn't care in this case, but AA's own BP does indeed say "doors close 10 minutes prior to departure". So if I sprinted to the gate at 12:19, from a delayed connection/traffic/whatever, I should be allowed on without any gripe...