Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Epic Disgrace by AA on 2/26 AA126 HKG-DFW diversion to HND

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Epic Disgrace by AA on 2/26 AA126 HKG-DFW diversion to HND

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Happy
This is with a Caveat and a big one as well as we learned about this when we really needed it.

The Collect Call number often can only work with a LAND LINE based phone. With many hotels these days go VoIP for the guest rooms, the Collect Call Number does NOT work!

We had one such occasion needed the service and at the end, Hilton FCO used its phone at the check in counter to call the bank on our behalf. Then we learned about what was required to successfully make Collect Calls.

We had another incident in a London hotel - the whole hotel was on VoIP - the in-house telecommunication engineer apologized that there was no way to make a collect call to US.

Some banks phone reps know about this and would give reminders when you give Travel Notice to them. Though a good portion of the phone reps have no clue about this requirement.
There should be a number to way to call AT&T or another US service from the hotel and they could then place a collect call.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mvoight
There should be a number to way to call AT&T or another US service from the hotel and they could then place a collect call.
That was what we thought initially.

Not the Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt in London when we asked. They insisted they could not connect to AT&T (the global service or whatever the name is called these days.)

Hilton FCO simply placed a regular call to Chase and handed the phone to us.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by HLCinCOU
Happy, that's...interesting. I think the thing others are reacting to is that you kind of made it a recommendation, instead of "hey this is how I operate." Personally I only travel with a single Timbuktu Command backpack (just barely fits in the overhead bin of an Embraer ERJ-145 regional) and I can live out of that thing indefinitely. But I certainly wouldn't offer that as generic advice...I make some tradeoffs to roll that light. Definitely never hand wash anything though!
i am in the hand washing camp. i could send out laundry but hand washing takes five minutes and carry ons reduce risk of stuff getting stolen
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by dfwexpx5
After landing, seems like most had received an apologetic letter and 15,000 miles (ymmv).

What is appropriate in this situation?
- 27 hour delay
- 4 hours on plane with no service (drinking water, food, or otherwise)
- 1 hour + with no running water or restrooms that could be flushed.
- hotel paid by airline
- limited personal out of pocket expenses
- use of SWU to go to first but HND-DFW was J amenities since HND doesn’t support F. No bedding, pajamas, amenity kit, J menu, J wines.
15k miles doesnt cut it here IMO unless they add cash on top. this is a vacation-destroying scenario, IMO
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I did it on my cell phone from London last fall(think I got help from Verizon to do it). Maybe it’s country specific, but I have always been able to reach Verizon help from abroad (my carrier).
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: CX Diamond, AA CK (quit 2018), Starwood Platinum, National EXC Elite
Originally Posted by AANYC1981

best of luck to you....wrong airline to fly to HKG.
Absolutely. And the reason I pulled my business last year. They lost 15 RT's a year in paid J as a result of operation inefficiency.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
The relevant AT&T service is called USA Direct. They provide a local or toll free access number in most countries. You dial the local access number, and then you have direct access to the AT&T system. You can then place a collect call, calling card call, or get an AT&T operator for assistance. It completely bypasses local operators and whatever the local system is for collect calls. As far as the hotel is concerned, it's a local or domestic toll free call, so whether or not their phone provider supports collect calls is not relevant.

https://www.att.com/media/att/2012/s...pleteGuide.pdf
skywalkerLAX likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by Steve M
It completely bypasses local operators and whatever the local system is for collect calls. As far as the hotel is concerned, it's a local or domestic toll free call, so whether or not their phone provider supports collect calls is not relevant.
I've stayed in a hotel in HK where they charged HK$5 just to make these "800" calls (9-digit toll-free number in HK). Local calls were included free for that room rate.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:14 am

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
A narrow slice of the story- but i am amazed at people who will travel halfway around the world without multiple credit cards and at least $1000 in cash. Doodoo happens.
Fixed that for you.
zip10001 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
Fixed that for you.
Credit cards sure, but I'm not one to travel with anywhere near that much cash on me
SK, wrp96, Gino Troian and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
Fixed that for you.
For most destinations in the world, that is a totally unnecessary (and arguably quite risky) amount of cash to travel with.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Happy
Actually the longer trip you do, the more likely you DONT check bags - because it is much more practical to use laundry services than carry lots of clothes for the duration. When staying at reasonably good hotels, you have lots of fluffy towels that can do a lot of good for your handwashed small / light weight items. Heavy duty stuff such as jeans, send them out for cleaning or find a service
What is “practical” in your view may translate to risk, needless expense and hassle for many others, myself included. I’ve had my laundry come back ruined forever, a dingy shade of brownish-green from services that wash your stuff in bags in large loads of other people’s colored clothing. And I’ve had my laundry not come back. I have better things to do than hunt down a laundry service and manage dirty clothing on a long trip, business or otherwise. I don’t consider checking a bag for a long trip to be a big inconvenience.
ijgordon, no1cub17 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:48 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Steve M
The relevant AT&T service is called USA Direct. They provide a local or toll free access number in most countries. You dial the local access number, and then you have direct access to the AT&T system. You can then place a collect call, calling card call, or get an AT&T operator for assistance. It completely bypasses local operators and whatever the local system is for collect calls. As far as the hotel is concerned, it's a local or domestic toll free call, so whether or not their phone provider supports collect calls is not relevant.

https://www.att.com/media/att/2012/s...pleteGuide.pdf
In recent years, there is NO AT&T Operator. You can purchase an AT&T phone card which (once you are in the AT&T Direct network) allows you to make calls at a reasonable rate. In much of the world (except USA) payphones* still exist, but you can't always connect (even though TOLL FREE) into the AT&T network.
About two years ago I was staying at Hilton in Zurich and wanted to make a collect call to my bank in the USA, I asked the front desk agent how they contact their phone systems Operator, his response was he NEVER has to--from my recollection I've NEVER had to contact one in the USA in the last 20 years either.
*A few years ago my cellphone needed a charge and I had to call a local parking company for a p/u at JFK, after going through T8 at JFK looking for a payphone, nearly all were disconnected, I found one but a 3 minute local call was $20
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:29 pm

I have flown this probably 20 times and have had ONE TPE diversion due to weather in HKG. It was not a fun experience due to lack of communication from AA. When we got to the hotel they were asking people to share rooms. LOL... Yah no...
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by carlosnunez.dfw

i am in the hand washing camp. i could send out laundry but hand washing takes five minutes and carry ons reduce risk of stuff getting stolen
.....or boiled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.