Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Epic Disgrace by AA on 2/26 AA126 HKG-DFW diversion to HND

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold

GF is currently in the middle of this debacle -

HKG-DFW, about ~4hrs in, has a issue with toilets, forcing diversion to HND
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...755Z/VHHH/RJAA

They were aparently kept on the plane for just about ~4hr, with no food or drink distributed in y or J (GF was in J); or any information given by the pilots/crew the entire time besides the original mech anouncment.

Offloaded via bus to terminal after 2AM, told agent will meet them landside to figure everything else out.

Agent tells everyone they are basically on their own, to go book at room at the Hilton Toyko (about a 35min drive away); and to take on all costs to get reiumbursed for later. No vouchers for hotel or food given, even when agent was pressed "we dont have to give out food vouchers if we say we are going to cover the hotel room". Note this is for an overnight delay from 10pm to 6pm next day - where they had last been fed around 6pm local time.

Because my GF doesnt have a card on her, I had to call ahead to the hilton and they will get me to fill out a CC auth form so she can even check in and get food. I have never in 600k+ flying on AA mostly long haul, ever had a delay/cancelation handled this poorly. Hell, even 2 of the EXP agents I called while she was sitting on the plane tried to straight up lie to me about the plane status (one claimed she had already re-taken off again) amougn other unhelpful comments from them.

Sorry for the long rant, but anyone else stuck on this flight?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
Originally Posted by IWontRegretThis

They were aparently kept on the plane for just about ~4hr, with no food or drink distributed in y or J (GF was in J); or any information given by the pilots/crew the entire time besides the original mech anouncment.

Offloaded via bus to terminal after 2AM, told agent will meet them landside to figure everything else out.

Agent tells everyone they are basically on their own, to go book at room at the Hilton Toyko (about a 35min drive away); and to take on all costs to get reiumbursed for later. No vouchers for hotel or food given, even when agent was pressed "we dont have to give out food vouchers if we say we are going to cover the hotel room". Note this is for an overnight delay from 10pm to 6pm next day - where they had last been fed around 6pm local time.

Because my GF doesnt have a card on her, I had to call ahead to the hilton and they will get me to fill out a CC auth form so she can even check in and get food. I have never in 600k+ flying on AA mostly long haul, ever had a delay/cancelation handled this poorly. Hell, even 2 of the EXP agents I called while she was sitting on the plane tried to straight up lie to me about the plane status (one claimed she had already re-taken off again) amougn other unhelpful comments from them.

These flights (DFW/LAX to and from HKG) are subject to the worst operational issues, and it happens way too often. Additionally, the response of the airline in the situation seems to fail way too often given how frequently incidents happen. It is certainly unacceptable to put the burden of accommodation fully on passengers, especially given the possibility that some passengers may not be in a position to handle it themselves for a number of reasons.

I would, however, dial back the fire for the EXP desk. Not sure what you think they're able to accomplish. Further, they're not lying to you. They're trying to interpret changing and imperfect real-time information. No one at a call center in Dallas, Charlotte or wherever is going to solve this problem as it is happening. They'll be helpful on the back-end of this.
jrm68, prw555, AANYC1981 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by asf-07
These flights (DFW/LAX to and from HKG) are subject to the worst operational issues, and it happens way too often. Additionally, the response of the airline in the situation seems to fail way too often given how frequently incidents happen. It is certainly unacceptable to put the burden of accommodation fully on passengers, especially given the possibility that some passengers may not be in a position to handle it themselves for a number of reasons.

I would, however, dial back the fire for the EXP desk. Not sure what you think they're able to accomplish. Further, they're not lying to you. They're trying to interpret changing and imperfect real-time information. No one at a call center in Dallas, Charlotte or wherever is going to solve this problem as it is happening. They'll be helpful on the back-end of this.
An agent telling me her flight has already re taken off - when thats obviously not true is different than not having up to date operational information - and especially when flightaware and their own website agreed with me.

I remember when EXP desk would move mountain and earth, including getting me situated in hotels with vouchers.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:38 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
My diversion experience on this flight was handled much better and we even had to divert to TPE which has no AA staff (maybe that's why it was handled appropriately).

I'll hold back comments about the lack of traveling without a CC.

AA really needs to get it's act together with these HKG flights.
E55 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
With all the mx delays and problems going on with AA......does anyone know or can confirm is AA statistically dead last in mechanical delays?

Wow.

Sorry to hear OP.

Does you GF normally not travel with a credit card? I would think this is pretty risky not to mention on huge overseas fligths like this to another country.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian
With all the mx delays and problems going on with AA......does anyone know or can confirm is AA statistically dead last in mechanical delays?

Wow.

Sorry to hear OP.

Does you GF normally not travel with a credit card? I would think this is pretty risky not to mention on huge overseas fligths like this to another country.
Her CC just does not work in Japan (HSBC HK) for some reason, and she hasnt gotten it fixed yet. She always caries a CC and USD for reasons specifically like this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by enviroian
See the DOT's Air Travel Consumer Reports. For November 2018, AA was above the industry average in cancellations by marketing carrier - but Alaska and United were worse. AA was 3x the rate of Allegiant, Delta and Spirit, however. That must sit well at AA HQ.

https://www.transportation.gov/indiv...nsumer-reports
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Sorry for her and your troubles.

To learn from this is it better to fly alternate routes if going to hkg? Even if that means more layovers

i need to go to hkg in April. Better to go via DFW on AA or jfk via CX?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:07 pm
In memoriam

Nasty!!
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nuhusky
Sorry for her and your troubles.

To learn from this is it better to fly alternate routes if going to hkg? Even if that means more layovers

i need to go to hkg in April. Better to go via DFW on AA or jfk via CX?
Ive done DFW-HKG myself personally maybe 8-9 times, with no issues. Also done plenty via ORD and NYC, imho this time of year DFW night just be better because of the weather.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
Originally Posted by Nuhusky
I need to go to hkg in April. Better to go via DFW on AA or jfk via CX?

What class and are you crediting to AA?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Prem economy unless I can find business within a decent range of the prem economy fares. Company policies unfortunately

I know cx is 1.5 across the board with aa getting to 2 for j class
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
For November 2018, AA was above the industry average in cancellations by marketing carrier
Above the industry average? Who are they benchmarking against--Air Koryo?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by asf-07
The new MO of the EXP desk seems to be "when in doubt, make .... up". The desk is rapidly declining in quality. In the last week I was told I cannot request an upgrade within 24 hours of departure, the airport is in charge of Revenue Management and was told some blatantly false fare information.

there still are some good agents, but a lot of the responses are comically false howlers. Its embarrassing.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 1:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by IWontRegretThis

I'm shocked that passengers would be kept on board for four hours after landing when the MX problem was toilets that didn't work. People need to use toilets and moreover there might have been a smell or even hygiene issues if overflowing sewage was present in the cabin. To me this is much more serious than hotel and food vouchers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.