Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight change question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2019, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Flight change question

Flyertalk has been a great source of info and I am hoping that you all will be able to help with this somewhat complicated scenario.

I have 2 friends travelling together under the same reservation booked with points through the Iberia Plus program. The flights are booked City A - City B - City C - City B - City A and are all US domestic flights on Iberia's partner, American Airlines. One of them told me that, understandably, there is a lot on her plate (she was travelling to officiate her mother's funeral) and she had a change in plans and wants to get off after the third leg of the trip (after the City C - City B flight). The other passenger wants to continue on to City A.

I have tried calling Iberia to have this changed and they referred me to Iberia Plus. I tried getting to Iberia Plus, but the agent told me they were having problems with the system rerouting to the general reservation line and to try calling back again to get to Iberia Plus. I tried calling AA and they told me to contact Iberia. I feel it really isn't practical at this point to further attempt getting a change made, as I get the feeling I am going to be continually transferred and asked to call back again and again.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of if it will be possible for one of the people to get off at City B and one of the people to continue on to City A? Are there any concerns they should have if they pursue this option?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by don27514
Flyertalk has been a great source of info and I am hoping that you all will be able to help with this somewhat complicated scenario.

I have 2 friends travelling together under the same reservation booked with points through the Iberia Plus program. The flights are booked City A - City B - City C - City B - City A and are all US domestic flights on Iberia's partner, American Airlines. One of them told me that, understandably, there is a lot on her plate (she was travelling to officiate her mother's funeral) and she had a change in plans and wants to get off after the third leg of the trip (after the City C - City B flight). The other passenger wants to continue on to City A.

I have tried calling Iberia to have this changed and they referred me to Iberia Plus. I tried getting to Iberia Plus, but the agent told me they were having problems with the system rerouting to the general reservation line and to try calling back again to get to Iberia Plus. I tried calling AA and they told me to contact Iberia. I feel it really isn't practical at this point to further attempt getting a change made, as I get the feeling I am going to be continually transferred and asked to call back again and again.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of if it will be possible for one of the people to get off at City B and one of the people to continue on to City A? Are there any concerns they should have if they pursue this option?

Thanks in advance for your help.
IB Plus does not permit any changes on award tickets issued for travel on AA. There should be no trouble with one passenger getting off at B while the other continues on to A. But the passenger getting off at B should not check any baggage, as AA will likely refuse to "short-check" it to B.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Every passenger has his own ticket. The fact that multiple tickets are booked into the same PNR is irrelevant. When the passenger no shows for the B-A segment, it will be cancelled and will have no value in this scheme. The passenger who continues on will be unaffected. As others note, AA does not short check bags. This means no bag check from C onwards for the first passenger.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
They might ask the passenger who continues to fly what happened to the other passenger - they can just shrug.

This happened to me on a revenue ticket from the US Barclaycard companion pass - three of us on one PNR - one person decided not to go and I didn't bother to cancel. We didn't say anything and no one ever asked us about her.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:07 pm

Programs: CK or bust
To the OP, just avoid taking that friend with you in the future. Too many trips with that friend might invite scrutiny along the lines of abusive hidden city ticketing.

Alternatively, after passing through security everyone tie each other off in the same fashion that climbers do to ensure that the third doesn't lose their way or wander off after just one segment.

Personally I generally find it to be more of a problem when a third wheel shows up and I only have two tickets. That can be more awkward than losing the the third en route.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Neither of the passengers were intending to check bags, but thanks for bringing this up. It is good to remind them (at least the one who is not continuing on) to not check bags.

This is the first time I have personally purchased a ticket for this friend. I don't think she would make a habit out of doing things like this, as I am confident she doesn't even know how to look for hidden city fares or would want to end trips prematurely in layover cities. I will definitely keep this in mind though if and when I buy future tickets for her.

Thanks once again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.