Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Short checking for US-Canada trips

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Short checking for US-Canada trips

Hey all, I'm flying American Airlines from MIA to YVR (Vancouver, Canada) with a significant stopover at LAX. I would like to short check a suitcase so that I can walk it out to the pickup area and hand it off to my brother. Is this possible? If so, what should I tell the folks when I'm checking the luggage? I'm not averse to lying if necessary, but I don't mind paying either, if there's some sort of bizarre penalty for non-through luggage. When should I tell them? Thanks to anyone who has a chance to respond, really appreciate it.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
From the threads I've experienced about this in the past, I'd say your chances are almost zero that you'll be allowed to short check. They're worried about hidden city ticketing where you booked MIA-LAX-YVR but only want to fly MIA-LAX.

See:
Short check / checking baggage (consolidated)
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:45 pm

Programs: AA CK, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Platinum
If you're checking two bags, one to YVR and one to LAX, then they may mot worry about any hidden city issues.

When 7 of us were flying MBJ-MIA-MCO, I was able to have the check-in agent short check some bags to MIA, and the rest to MCO. Granted, as an arriving international flight, we had to claim bags anyway, but the agent was willing to do it. YMMV.
MathMusic likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by HeadphonesAndVodkaSoda
Hey all, I'm flying American Airlines from MIA to YVR (Vancouver, Canada) with a significant stopover at LAX. I would like to short check a suitcase so that I can walk it out to the pickup area and hand it off to my brother. Is this possible? If so, what should I tell the folks when I'm checking the luggage? I'm not averse to lying if necessary, but I don't mind paying either, if there's some sort of bizarre penalty for non-through luggage. When should I tell them? Thanks to anyone who has a chance to respond, really appreciate it.
Do you really mean "stopover," or do you just have a long connection ?

If you truly have a stopover, you don't have to worry about short-checking, as AA will not check your bags to YVR.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Okay, so here's what happened:

I explained the situation at three different points - check in abroad, check in at MIA and customer service at MIA - and all three attempted to short check my bag, but were unable. The reason why, I was told, was that my stopover was under 4 hours long. Had the LAX stopover been longer that 4 hours, it would have been successful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.