Search

EGE (Vail) entirely seasonal?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
EGE (Vail) entirely seasonal?

I was browsing flights and noticed that DFW-EGE ends on April 1st. IIRC, this used to be year round, while other hubs such as JFK, ORD, LAX were seasonal.

When did they announce this?

Last edited by Antarius; Mar 21, 2019 at 8:27 am Reason: Added city name for clarity
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by Antarius
I was browsing flights and noticed that DFW-EGE ends on April 1st. IIRC, this used to be year round, while other hubs such as JFK, ORD, LAX were seasonal.

When did they announce this?
It resumes again in early June.

Not sure why they would cut it for Apr/May but perhaps demand is particularly low at that time.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by DWFI
Not sure why they would cut it for Apr/May but perhaps demand is particularly low at that time.
For all intents and purposes there is no demand between April 22 and Memorial day weekend as a lot of people leave town, many restaurants are closed, and the only business are the few conferences at larger hotels. Now the construction business does pick up a lot then, but that really doesn't help with flight demand. There is still limited demand the first half of April as the ski season doesn't end until April 21 this year and the first half of June as some people without school age children will visit during that period, but probably not enough to support AA flights.

FWIW, I am leaving Vail ex-EGE at the beginning of April and returning into DEN from a RTW trip at the end of May. Most Vail restaurants that are closed during the dead period reopen Memorial day weekend and many offer specials (25-30% off, 1/2 price, $39 3-course, etc.) up until the weekend before 4th of July, so June is quite nice for those of us that live here and prefer to avoid the throngs of tourists.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you for the info.

I was looking to fly into EGE mid April and was surprised that there was nothing other than UA and some Cessnas.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 1:47 pm

Thanks to both of you for the info.

I was looking to fly into EGE mid April and was surprised that there was nothing other than UA and some Cessnas.
as soon as the ski resorts close in mid April (usually) it's mud season at all of them...Vail, Aspen, etc. Like others have said, restaurants close, locals leave for awhile, etc. Some hotels like the Ritz at Beaver Creek completely close during mud season to do extensive renovations, and reopen for the equally-busy-as-winter Summer season later June. Pretty typical for the airlines to have a mid-Dec to mid-Apr winter flight schedule to EGE, and a briefer summer schedule June into Aug or Sept
however this year some of the resorts are staying open WAYYYYYY late. Breckenridge till Memorial Day (although no advantage to fly EGE if Breck is your destination...same time to get to Breck from DIA as EGE and more competitive fares, cars)
Largest snowpack in recorded history for US ski resorts https://www.forbes.com/sites/larryol.../#18481b375d57
but I'm guessing it's too late to extend the flight season into EGE due to scheduling. Tahoe & California resorts open till July 4th.
Antarius likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
however this year some of the resorts are staying open WAYYYYYY late. Breckenridge till Memorial Day (although no advantage to fly EGE if Breck is your destination...same time to get to Breck from DIA as EGE and more competitive fares, cars)
Largest snowpack in recorded history for US ski resorts https://www.forbes.com/sites/larryol.../#18481b375d57
but I'm guessing it's too late to extend the flight season into EGE due to scheduling. Tahoe & California resorts open till July 4th.
Which is what led to this plan!

I likely will just fly into DIA and then take a cessna (if I can) to EGE.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Which is what led to this plan!

I likely will just fly into DIA and then take a cessna (if I can) to EGE.
If Vail is your destination, you could also look into driving. The drive from DEN is roughly two hours with great scenery along the way.
AAway likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by swingaling
If Vail is your destination, you could also look into driving. The drive from DEN is roughly two hours with great scenery along the way.
UberSki is not a bad option either.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
UberSki is not a bad option either.
I don’t know that one, but I’ve used Colorado Mountain Express a handful of times over the years.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ijgordon

I don’t know that one, but I’ve used Colorado Mountain Express a handful of times over the years.
Also, Peak 1 Express has been around the last couple years giving CMEX competition at a slightly lower price point. Both offer door-to-door service or Point-to-Point service to Vail Transportation Center from DEN. Prior to living here, I would never rent a car as parking fees are high and unless one plans on going elsewhere (like Silverthorne for outlets, Edwards for movies or Riverwalk) you do not need one as you can take the free in-town shuttle to anywhere from Golden Peak to Lionshead or free town of Vail busses to anywhere from East Vail to West Vail. You can even take the ECO bus to/from EGE and Vail Transportation Center for $4, or $1 for seniors. This all applies IF you are going to VAIL. You did say you were wanting to fly into EGE, and since Beaver Creek closes April 14, and you indicated you are going in mid-April, I just assume you are going to Vail. But then again you may not be coming here for skiing/snowboarding, but perhaps a conference or other business.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: AA EXP

Indeed. CME is also a great option.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold

When you land at DEN and pull up the Uber app, one of your options will be UberSki -- it ensures you'll only get drivers who have vehicles capable of transporting ski gear and who know ahead of time that they're about to take a two+ hour ride. I've had much better than average drivers, and it's private door to door instead of shared.
Antarius likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
When you land at DEN and pull up the Uber app, one of your options will be UberSki -- it ensures you'll only get drivers who have vehicles capable of transporting ski gear and who know ahead of time that they're about to take a two+ hour ride. I've had much better than average drivers, and it's private door to door instead of shared.
Without getting too off topic, how reliable is it? Is there always availability and a reasonable wait time?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.