Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FA of the Decade - very poor experience, threats to disembark

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA of the Decade - very poor experience, threats to disembark

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
The most unbelievable part of this story is that the FA was serving PDB's... Or at least offering to.
no1cub17, TheSkyGuy and lowmiles like this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:51 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by AA100k
The first “no” from the FA should have been enough. After that there seemed to be escalation on both sides. The passenger who was denied the Irish Coffee should have just let it go without further comment. I never argue with airline crews or staff, it’s like trying to argue your way out of a ticket with a traffic cop. It’s their airline, their aircraft and they are in charge whether they are right or wrong. I’m not saying the FA covered herself in glory in this case but it all could have been easily avoided.
This is the way I see it. A few times I've had really nasty responses from AA employees. Once I was on the standby list for BOS/JFK. I saw my name clear so I approached the podium to get my new BP (the AC had told me F was booked but Y was pretty much wide open, short flight I didn't care). The GA went off on me lecturing me of "how the system works" and that people like me try to circumvent "the system." She then said "I have lots of open seats in the front of coach but I'm assigning you a seat in the very last row to teach you a lesson about how the "system works." In the end I just let it go. She obviously had more issues in life than I care to think about.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:52 am

Irish coffee? you can tell they’ve just stepped off a cruise!
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
The first “no” from the FA should have been enough. After that there seemed to be escalation on both sides. The passenger who was denied the Irish Coffee should have just let it go without further comment. I never argue with airline crews or staff, it’s like trying to argue your way out of a ticket with a traffic cop. It’s their airline, their aircraft and they are in charge whether they are right or wrong. I’m not saying the FA covered herself in glory in this case but it all could have been easily avoided.
Is that the state of things that we should accept? People who are rude should just be accepted as a fact of life, and given opportunities for their little power trips? That would be very sad.

I understand how FAs sometimes complain about passengers that are PITA - but shouldn‘t passengers be expecting the same politeness and courtesy from airline staff?
altabello likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by San Gottardo

Is that the state of things that we should accept? People who are rude should just be accepted as a fact of life, and given opportunities for their little power trips? That would be very sad.

I understand how FAs sometimes complain about passengers that are PITA - but shouldn‘t passengers be expecting the same politeness and courtesy from airline staff?
No one says you have "accept" it. But the best way to handle is by writing a complaint, not by engaging in passive-aggressive behavior (yes, that's what I would call repeatedly asking "Are you having a good day?") and escalating the situation.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I never argue with airline crews or staff, it’s like trying to argue your way out of a ticket with a traffic cop. It’s their airline, their aircraft and they are in charge whether they are right or wrong.
Sadly this is the correct, pragmatic answer. We have all been stuck on an airplane with deranged, unaccountable airline staff. I have had one try to deplane me for saying "Good morning" the wrong way, another couple conspire to get a trio of cute but eventually ragey / abusive guys drunk and then deny it, etc. There are enough sociopaths (or at least idiots) working as flight attendants that your best bet is to hunker down, initiate no contact, question nothing, pretend their made-up "rules" are real, and try to get through the day. At least until you have observed the FAs discreetly for awhile and concluded that you can loosen up.

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Is that the state of things that we should accept? People who are rude should just be accepted as a fact of life, and given opportunities for their little power trips?
Do you want to fly today? It's not an equitable playing field. End of story.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
Do you want to fly today? It's not an equitable playing field. End of story.
FAA (or NTSB or whatever relevant agency) could make this more equitable. Release an app for passengers to report ill-tempered FAs in real time. It's a safety issue after all.

As soon as 3 distinct reports are received prior to departure, that FA's credentials are invalidated immediately.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by davie355
FAA (or NTSB or whatever relevant agency) could make this more equitable. Release an app for passengers to report ill-tempered FAs in real time.
Imagine the spurious reports that would flood the works: She looked at me funny! I asked nicely but didn't get a free upgrade! She claimed to be out of ginger ale, but I know she was hoarding it! There is no quantitative definition of "ill-tempered."
jinglish likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Sound like someone not cut out for the job. As noted she's not actually an AA employee. Probably asking her if she was not having a good day wasn't a good thing to do. Sometimes you've got to just let it go.
I thought that was an issue too.

Small regional jet havibg Irish coffee!!!! Ones Ive beem on are pick a drink from the box
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
Imagine the spurious reports that would flood the works: She looked at me funny! I asked nicely but didn't get a free upgrade! She claimed to be out of ginger ale, but I know she was hoarding it! There is no quantitative definition of "ill-tempered."
That's why multiple reports would be needed. One passenger could very well be frivolous in complaints, but it's unlikely 3 would.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by josmul123
The most unbelievable part of this story is that the FA was serving PDB's... Or at least offering to.
It wasn't an AA operation - it was Envoy (Mesa) where the offering of full PDBs are the normal.

On the other hand, IME, the FA's serving on these aircraft are generally more friendly and pleasant than those working mAAinline.

This FA seems an exception.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 1:39 pm
Suspended

You have to take it all in stride. Starting with the barkers at the TSA check point and the people in the precheck line taking their shoes off, fishing through their backs to take out electronics and gumming up what should be a very simple process. The people that come into the AC that let their children run wild. The people that scream into their phone. The paxs in Group 9 that rush the boarding gate when CK is called. The morons, particularly those in F, that stand in the middle of the aisle looking for god knows what in their bag while 150+ people are trying to board, the same upon arrivals because hell I don't have a connection to worry about, the strange FAs, the GAs that either don't do their jobs or act like vultures looking for an easy kill, and on and on. It's all part of the flying experience in the 21st century. It's hard to believe that at one time this was considered a special occasion. And we're lucky enough to at least be treated marginally better than the steerage.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
This is the way I see it. A few times I've had really nasty responses from AA employees. Once I was on the standby list for BOS/JFK. I saw my name clear so I approached the podium to get my new BP (the AC had told me F was booked but Y was pretty much wide open, short flight I didn't care). The GA went off on me lecturing me of "how the system works" and that people like me try to circumvent "the system." She then said "I have lots of open seats in the front of coach but I'm assigning you a seat in the very last row to teach you a lesson about how the "system works." In the end I just let it go. She obviously had more issues in life than I care to think about.
There is no way I would take that from a GA, or from any employee of a business that I'm a customer of.
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
There is no way I would take that from a GA, or from any employee of a business that I'm a customer of.
Unfortunately in the airline business standing up for yourself can get you booted off the flight. Then your at the mercy of the GA to be rebooked on another flight. Give the GA some guff and you then might be dealing with airport police. It's just not worth it. Consider yourself lucky that you don't hate your life and your job that much.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Putting up with FAs who are this unreasonable will always continue to happen because the AC is not a democracy-- Pilots and then FAs are the dictators-- and it has to be that way for safety reasons. There will always be FAs drunk with power who feel they can get away with such behavior. Thankfully for all of us, most of the FAs we encounter are decent, thoughtful people, who are trying their best under circumstances that would challenge us all. When you encounter the occasional problem, assume that it has been a particularly bad day, and they need you to cut them a break. Then vent here.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.