Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

24 Hour Refund: when does the clock start?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, United Silver

Does the 24 hours start when the ticket was issued or when I bought the ticket. They fall on different days.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Daniel Solis
Does the 24 hours start when the ticket was issued or when I bought the ticket. They fall on different days.
When you bought the ticket.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Daniel Solis
It is also 24 hours , not the end of next day - in case that is what you are thinking in reference to different days

If purchased at 23:28 and issued at 00:02 , it will be at 23:58 - if purchased at 00:02 , it will be 00:02 the next day
Old Feb 3, 2019, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It is also 24 hours , not the end of next day - in case that is what you are thinking in reference to different days
+1 -- OP, it should be entirely irrelevant that they fell on different days
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: AA EXP
I was told by a phone agent last year that you have up until 11:59pm the day following the time of booking. I do not know if that was factual at the time and / or if that policy has changed.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by tismfu
I was told by a phone agent last year that you have up until 11:59pm the day following the time of booking. I do not know if that was factual at the time and / or if that policy has changed.
I would not count on that, as the publicly available info says 24 hours.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, United Silver
Judging by all your responses seems like the agent made a exception without telling me she made one since I was over 24 hours but still before the following day ended.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by tismfu
Originally Posted by mvoight
I would not count on that, as the publicly available info says 24 hours.
Actually I heard the same thing from EXP agent. I had my ticket purchased mid day and agent told me that 24 hour rule would extend to the end of the business day (ie. purchased 4pm 01/01/18 should be refundable until 11:59pm 01/02/18).
Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There really isn't much to argue about here. AA's service plan is quite clear, e.g. 24 hours from ticket purchase. The fact that some people have been able to exceed the 24 hours is no different than the fact that some people manage to have a change fee or other condition waived. The bottom line is that if you cancel after 24 hours, you should plan on being held to the fare rules, be pleased if you are not, and accepting if you are.

"When you buy a ticket 2 or more days prior to departure via aa.com or by phone with American Airlines Reservations for American Airlines flights (including American Airlines flights operated by codeshare partners), you have up to 24 hours from the time of ticket purchase to receive a full refund for your ticket.... After 24 hours have elapsed, normal refund policies apply to the ticket. If you elect to make changes to the itinerary after the 24 hour time period, a change fee may apply and the ticket price may also change depending on the fare purchased."
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:01 pm

Holds are also advertised as being 24 hours, yet the confirmation emails explicitly advise that you have until 11:59 PM the day after the reservation. So it could simply be that AA's definition of 24 hours starts from midnight.
Originally Posted by Often1
There really isn't much to argue about here. AA's service plan is quite clear, e.g. 24 hours from ticket purchase. The fact that some people have been able to exceed the 24 hours is no different than the fact that some people manage to have a change fee or other condition waived. The bottom line is that if you cancel after 24 hours, you should plan on being held to the fare rules, be pleased if you are not, and accepting if you are.

"When you buy a ticket 2 or more days prior to departure via aa.com or by phone with American Airlines Reservations for American Airlines flights (including American Airlines flights operated by codeshare partners), you have up to 24 hours from the time of ticket purchase to receive a full refund for your ticket.... After 24 hours have elapsed, normal refund policies apply to the ticket. If you elect to make changes to the itinerary after the 24 hour time period, a change fee may apply and the ticket price may also change depending on the fare purchased."
bscooter26 likes this.

Last edited by chessman; Feb 6, 2019 at 9:04 pm Reason: Precision
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
For agency-issued tickets, refund rule is still one business day following ticketing.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
For agency-issued tickets, refund rule is still one business day following ticketing.
Which prompts the question what a business day is.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Which prompts the question what a business day is.
First weekday that is not a holiday, following the date of ticketing (Monday for tickets issued previous Fri/Sat/Sun).
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
First weekday that is not a holiday, following the date of ticketing (Monday for tickets issued previous Fri/Sat/Sun).
whoosh, LOL -- not what I was asking, obviously, in light of this entire thread. the whole question is when it ends. end of a "business day" -- or 11:59 p.m. (and what time zone -- time zone of agency, or time zone of departure city like with holds? something else?) -- or is it the the same moment as the time of ticketing but on the next business day?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
whoosh, LOL -- not what I was asking, obviously, in light of this entire thread. the whole question is when it ends. end of a "business day" -- or 11:59 p.m. (and what time zone -- time zone of agency, or time zone of departure city like with holds? something else?) -- or is it the the same moment as the time of ticketing but on the next business day?
The ticket must be cancelled one business day following ticketing, up to 11:59pm (local time, based on ticketing location). Your travel agency's business hours may further restrict this window, as the cancellation must be processed by the agency.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.