Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Airlines/ Apple Music Partnership

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP Plat, Mariott Gold, Hilton Gold

This is an interesting move and could be a game changer. AA starting to offer more options for BYOD. Maybe I wont even have to download songs before a flight via spoitfy.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/01/30/am...entertainment/
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
I'm not sure it's a game changer (particularly for those of us who are already Apple Music subscribers), but sounds nice. If it lets us stream from the Apple Music library inflight with it knowing about my playlists, I suppose that's a plus, although I usually just have playlists on my phone anyway. If it doesn't know who I am , not a big deal to me. But still, definitely a nice feature, and probably a good marketing opportunity for Apple.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:59 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
got excited until I read this:

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...arting-friday/
Pasqualle7 and chitink like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP Plat, Mariott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Wow thats a buzz kill.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2022 Titanium
I am very excited about this! I have an apple music subscription and would love to enjoy that on my flights!
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:04 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
If they wanted to add value, the partnership would be with Spotify. This is just glorified marketing and a minor bonus for the small subset of people who subscribe to Apple.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
If they wanted to add value, the partnership would be with Spotify. This is just glorified marketing and a minor bonus for the small subset of people who subscribe to Apple.
Just to be factually accurate, Apple has more paying subscribers in the U.S. than Spotify.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:22 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Finsup72
Just to be factually accurate, Apple has more paying subscribers in the U.S. than Spotify.
Just to be factually accurate, an "unidentified U.S.-based distributor" and Apple CEO Tim Cook claimed in the summer of 2018 that Apple Music had more Paid + Trial subscribers in the United States than Spotify had paid subscribers. There's been absolutely no verification of that claim, nor any statements from a named source to actually back it up. It was largely based on extrapolating Apple's then 5% growth rate in the US vs Spotify's 2%. There's been no dispute that Spotify has tens of millions of more paid users than Apple Music.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
I hope they don't market this as "Apple Music included with your flight", because that would be very misleading, especially since after your trial ends, if you try to use it again, you'll be forced to pay if you actually want to use it.

While I do think it's good that they are "whitelisting" the service so that you can use it without paying for internet, they need to be careful about the marketing so it doesn't actually become false advertising.

What I'm hoping for (and I'm sure many others as well) is that this leads to the "whitelisting" of more streaming services (i.e. Netflix, Amazon, etc.) so that you can watch entertainment with existing subscriptions without paying for internet access.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
OK. So exactly what is perfect for Apple Music subscribers like me, but it's a benefit only for Apple Music subscribers (whether paid or in the three month trial). Not a bad thing, but it puts it in the category of the T-Mobile free texting while in the air -- a provider-paid free limited use of the in-flight network -- not a wide-ranging benefit for all AA customers.

Anyone know if it's Apple or AA paying for this? I would guess that it's Apple, as it's more a promotional opportunity for Apple and a benefit for Apple Music customers than it is a benefit for all AA customers.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:01 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
God, just when they finally started having usable WiFi they go and add a bunch of services that will increase bandwidth consumption. Grrrrrrr
Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: AA EXP/*wood Plat/Hilton Gold/Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ashill
OK. So exactly what is perfect for Apple Music subscribers like me, but it's a benefit only for Apple Music subscribers (whether paid or in the three month trial). Not a bad thing, but it puts it in the category of the T-Mobile free texting while in the air -- a provider-paid free limited use of the in-flight network -- not a wide-ranging benefit for all AA customers.

Anyone know if it's Apple or AA paying for this? I would guess that it's Apple, as it's more a promotional opportunity for Apple and a benefit for Apple Music customers than it is a benefit for all AA customers.
If the Street keeps saying Apple needs to increase its service business due...take a guess.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Just to be factually accurate, an "unidentified U.S.-based distributor" and Apple CEO Tim Cook claimed in the summer of 2018 that Apple Music had more Paid + Trial subscribers in the United States than Spotify had paid subscribers. There's been absolutely no verification of that claim, nor any statements from a named source to actually back it up. It was largely based on extrapolating Apple's then 5% growth rate in the US vs Spotify's 2%. There's been no dispute that Spotify has tens of millions of more paid users than Apple Music.
Sad state of the tech ecosystem wars these days. As such, I'm not expecting empathy from the Spotify customer(s) who grouses that sourced journalism is fake news but of course anecdotally claims that of course Spotify has more users .

The only noble argument here is one for net neutrality, where ISPs & airlines shouldn't be allowed to pick market winners in other industries.

Instead, we get drivel about how this is "glorified marketing" even though 1) it'd be exactly the same thing had AA announced a partnership with Spotify 2) leveraging benefits offered by AAdvantage and their partners is the whole point of this forum.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I have an Apple Music subscription, but have never been able to figure out how to use this on AA flights. Even when you log in, you can never easily search or listen to music because the system is so slow. Am I missing something?
Old Nov 15, 2020, 5:46 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
It works but it’s pretty slow. I suspect the free traffic is throttled, as it functions normally if you pay for WiFi or use the TMO pass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.