Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Y Pax sneaks into J DFW/MIA, security flap: return to gate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2020, 11:14 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PP

When you think you've seen it all and proving that society is becoming stupid and of course ONLY on a MIA flight was what I witnessed last night DFW/MIA in J on the 772. I was seated in 5J and during boarding the woman across from me had a friend come up from Y and visit. I saw the friend crawl under the J seat (more exactly the television console) but began to watch a movie. Well apparently the plan was for this woman's friend to remain there the entire flight as it's something they thought would drive viewers to their "You Tube Channel".

The flight was 100% full but the FAs noticed on the taxi out that one Y seat was empty and there was a purse sitting in the seat. Paxs around that seat said the woman just got up and left. So there's an announcement for this pax to identify herself or we can't take off. At that point I realize that she's hiding under her friend's J seat. I can tell the a/c is pulling off the taxiway to park and as soon as it's parked my intention is to ring the call button if this woman doesn't give herself up. She does and tries to sneak back into Y but is immediately busted by the FAs.

Chimes starting going off and the FAs announce that the a/c is going to be moving and that all to take their seats. Most of the a/c has no idea of what is going on but the Captain announces that there is a "security issue", we're going back to the gate to "take care of it" and will then be on our way. By then the forward compartment of J (me included) is crucifying the woman because her stunt is forcing us to return to the gate. She's screaming that she's being disrespected, did nothing wrong, she paid good money for her ticket and that she has a child at home waiting for her. By then she's also taken off her mask.

Supervisor comes on (not sure what's happening with the woman that went back to her seat in Y) and tells the J passenger "miss you need to gather your belongings and come off the a/c." The passenger refuses and continues to scream sans mask. In the interim the Captain bolts out of cockpit, very unhappy and tells the woman to get off the a/c. She refuses and the police show up to drag her off. In the meantime another pax in Y starts to cuss out a FA because of the delay and the police drag him off.

Later the Captain asked me what I saw and I thanked him for throwing them off the a/c. He said there were "a couple more Security concerns with them" in addition to what I saw. The FO came over then, we chatted, and I said "I gotta ask but what did Operations say when you told them why you were returning to the gate." He said the dispatcher said "Oh Lordy."

This was after we had a 90 minute delay because a catering truck had hit a cargo door. While I doubt they were arrested I hope these paxs were immediately banned from flying AA and told to find another way home to MIA. And not refunded their tickets.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 12:23 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
What a deplorable anecdote - I'm not sure that it is more stupid than crazy. What on earth were they thinking of? Do you think that she had been drinking as her behaviour seems utterly irrational. How old were these women?

Both of them and the one who kicked off down the back should have been slung off the aircraft and charges pressed.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
GOOD for the crew for booting these people off the flight, and I am sorry that these people's stupidity caused a delay for you!
polinka, cscasi, Flapjacks and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Good grief. Was the Y pax hiding at the J seat also removed?
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
If you don't mind me asking but why didn't you alert a member of the cabin crew when you first saw this happening?

Not that that excuses what these absolute idiots did who will no doubt try and turn it to their advantage and garner sympathy (and money) from their followes
Creighbaby likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by econ
Good grief. Was the Y pax hiding at the J seat also removed?
I have the same question - although OP implied that they are not sure with this:

"Supervisor comes on (not sure what's happening with the woman that went back to her seat in Y) and tells the J passenger "miss you need to gather your belongings and come off the a/c.""
LiHS likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
So the real question, is it up on YouTube yet?
Old Oct 31, 2020, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Sounds to me like some kind of drugs were involved.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 2:27 pm

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by javabytes
So the real question, is it up on YouTube yet?
Yep, this is a YouTube video waiting to happen....
Old Oct 31, 2020, 2:50 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
If you don't mind me asking but why didn't you alert a member of the cabin crew when you first saw this happening?

Not that that excuses what these absolute idiots did who will no doubt try and turn it to their advantage and garner sympathy (and money) from their followes
Because I saw the one woman sitting down there during boarding, assumed she would go back to Y, assumed both were morons, started watching a movie and then had no desire to pay attention to these morons. It wasn't until the announcement on the taxi that I looked over and saw where the woman sitting in J was trying to block the view of her "friend" under seat. Even the FAs as they were doing their final safety checks did not see the woman sitting under the J seat. Yes both women were thrown off the a/c.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
Because I saw the one woman sitting down there during boarding, assumed she would go back to Y, assumed both were morons, started watching a movie and then had no desire to pay attention to these morons. It wasn't until the announcement on the taxi that I looked over and saw where the woman sitting in J was trying to block the view of her "friend" under seat. Even the FAs as they were doing their final safety checks did not see the woman sitting under the J seat. Yes both women were thrown off the a/c.
I wouldn't have said anything either....probably since I lean toward being an introvert and also the desire to stay out of it unless it was a serious safety concern.
Danwriter, squiddz and strickerj like this.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 3:36 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
When you think you've seen it all and proving that society is becoming stupid and of course ONLY on a MIA flight was what I witnessed last night DFW/MIA in J on the 772. I was seated in 5J and during boarding the woman across from me had a friend come up from Y and visit. I saw the friend crawl under the J seat (more exactly the television console) but began to watch a movie. Well apparently the plan was for this woman's friend to remain there the entire flight as it's something they thought would drive viewers to their "You Tube Channel".

The flight was 100% full but the FAs noticed on the taxi out that one Y seat was empty and there was a purse sitting in the seat. Paxs around that seat said the woman just got up and left. So there's an announcement for this pax to identify herself or we can't take off. At that point I realize that she's hiding under her friend's J seat. I can tell the a/c is pulling off the taxiway to park and as soon as it's parked my intention is to ring the call button if this woman doesn't give herself up. She does and tries to sneak back into Y but is immediately busted by the FAs.

Chimes starting going off and the FAs announce that the a/c is going to be moving and that all to take their seats. Most of the a/c has no idea of what is going on but the Captain announces that there is a "security issue", we're going back to the gate to "take care of it" and will then be on our way. By then the forward compartment of J (me included) is crucifying the woman because her stunt is forcing us to return to the gate. She's screaming that she's being disrespected, did nothing wrong, she paid good money for her ticket and that she has a child at home waiting for her. By then she's also taken off her mask.

Supervisor comes on (not sure what's happening with the woman that went back to her seat in Y) and tells the J passenger "miss you need to gather your belongings and come off the a/c." The passenger refuses and continues to scream sans mask. In the interim the Captain bolts out of cockpit, very unhappy and tells the woman to get off the a/c. She refuses and the police show up to drag her off. In the meantime another pax in Y starts to cuss out a FA because of the delay and the police drag him off.

Later the Captain asked me what I saw and I thanked him for throwing them off the a/c. He said there were "a couple more Security concerns with them" in addition to what I saw. The FO came over then, we chatted, and I said "I gotta ask but what did Operations say when you told them why you were returning to the gate." He said the dispatcher said "Oh Lordy."

This was after we had a 90 minute delay because a catering truck had hit a cargo door. While I doubt they were arrested I hope these paxs were immediately banned from flying AA and told to find another way home to MIA. And not refunded their tickets.
Showcases today's society at its best. Thank you for posting! Love stories like this.
Flapjacks likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
OP but did you get an PDB?
VSLover, trooper, rayfes and 8 others like this.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 4:37 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
another TSwift fan, I see!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.