Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA limits 787-8 / 788 Business seat sales to 20 (2019 Q1)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA limits 787-8 / 788 Business seat sales to 20 (2019 Q1)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
This whole thing is a mess. I booked a flight on a 788 that showed the 7-row J cabin, with 8 seats blocked. Picked MCE bulkhead seats.

Got an aircraft change alert from EF, it changed to the 5-row J cabin, so I picked the row 6 (usually PE) seats that are classified as MCE.

Then the equipment changed again, to a 789. Got upgraded. The only seats were in rows 6-7.

Checked in... holding BPs w/seat assignments for the J seats. Then another equipment swap back to the retrofitted 788. Seat assignments gone... check-in cancelled. J cabin is full. Can't pick PE/MCE seats because we've been upgraded, we just get the message that there aren't available seats.

If I end up flying in the back row, middle seat of a full 788, I'm going to be pissed. Wondering if it's better to cancel the upgrade request and have them put us back in PE/MCE than roll the dice going to the airpot holding a BP for a J seat that no longer exists.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
This whole thing is a mess. I booked a flight on a 788 that showed the 7-row J cabin, with 8 seats blocked. Picked MCE bulkhead seats.

Got an aircraft change alert from EF, it changed to the 5-row J cabin, so I picked the row 6 (usually PE) seats that are classified as MCE.

Then the equipment changed again, to a 789. Got upgraded. The only seats were in rows 6-7.

Checked in... holding BPs w/seat assignments for the J seats. Then another equipment swap back to the retrofitted 788. Seat assignments gone... check-in cancelled. J cabin is full. Can't pick PE/MCE seats because we've been upgraded, we just get the message that there aren't available seats.

If I end up flying in the back row, middle seat of a full 788, I'm going to be pissed. Wondering if it's better to cancel the upgrade request and have them put us back in PE/MCE than roll the dice going to the airpot holding a BP for a J seat that no longer exists.
what route and what kinda upgrade was used? If it’s SWU you can ask to be reacdomodated on the other flight that has J seats.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by gateH15

what route and what kinda upgrade was used? If it’s SWU you can ask to be reacdomodated on the other flight that has J seats.
North American, comp/500 mile upgrades
Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
North American, comp/500 mile upgrades
are there any PE/MCE seats left? I would call to cancel the upgrade and pick MCE/PE seat and re apply upgrade again. If you will wait until you get to the airport you will be downgraded to the back row most likely.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

are there any PE/MCE seats left? I would call to cancel the upgrade and pick MCE/PE seat and re apply upgrade again. If you will wait until you get to the airport you will be downgraded to the back row most likely.
There were many. Now, I see from EF that 7 PE seats have just been blocked. I assume this is to accommodate any pax that don’t end up in J, so I’ll probably hold off for now. I’ve got EF + IFTTT to call me if a seat opens so I can snag it.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ExpertFlyer earns its keep once again. A pair of seats opened up and I snagged them. Not too long thereafter, 2 fewer seats blocked in PE.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
I have found at least one example where AA seems to be selling the entire old-style 788 J cabin. EF shows J7 for AA150 on 9 Apr despite showing only 7 unassigned seats.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold
I am on AA945 on 04/07/19 and they appear to be selling the entire J cabin as well. Currently 25/28 seats occupied on seat map and J3 listed as availability on EF.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
MCE seats for free

I'm scheduled to fly from DFW to FRA on a 788 (right now, it's the 7 J cabin version - who knows what it'll be day of departure). Anyway, I'm a measly Gold on AA and was able to select MCE seats for all 4 (2 domestic, 2 TATL) segments at no cost. Why? Something new, a glitch, a mistake? Are they going to figure this out at some point and take my seats away? Should I call them or is it stupid to bring it their attention? I have requested a miles + copay upgrade, which I know I probably won't get, so I'd like to keep the MCE seats, if I could Any advice?

Last edited by RaindropT; Mar 21, 2019 at 2:34 pm Reason: Punctuation is important
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by RaindropT
I'm scheduled to fly from DFW to FRA on a 788 (right now, it's the 7 J cabin version - who knows what it'll be day of departure). Anyway, I'm a measly Gold on AA and was able to select MCE seats for all 4 (2 domestic, 2 TATL) segments at no cost. Why? Something new, a glitch, a mistake? Are they going to figure this out at some point and take my seats away? Should I call them or is it stupid to bring it their attention? I have requested a miles + copay upgrade, which I know I probably won't get, so I'd like to keep the MCE seats, if I could Any advice?
7J? Something’s wrong, because the retrofits are 20 J, the unmodified 28 J.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
7J? Something’s wrong, because the retrofits are 20 J, the unmodified 28 J.
he probablt meant 7 rows J cabin.
OP are you sure you selected MCE and not preferred ?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro

he probablt meant 7 rows J cabin.
OP are you sure you selected MCE and not preferred ?
Yes, thank you, that's exactly what I meant! (She, though, not he ) Sorry for the confusion. And, yes, I am absolutely certain they are MCE seats - they are marked as such on the app and the website - they even show the little dollar sign, but I wasn't charged anything by selecting them. I then did a dummy booking and the MCE seats I selected are not available to be selected by anyone else. It's all so weird and I'm not quite sure what to make of it.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by RaindropT
Yes, thank you, that's exactly what I meant! (She, though, not he ) Sorry for the confusion. And, yes, I am absolutely certain they are MCE seats - they are marked as such on the app and the website - they even show the little dollar sign, but I wasn't charged anything by selecting them. I then did a dummy booking and the MCE seats I selected are not available to be selected by anyone else. It's all so weird and I'm not quite sure what to make of it.
keep checking your seat assignment to see if it changes. IF not just enjoy free MCE
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Downgrade on 787-8

We flew CDG-DFW yesterday. Our tickets were paid business but the grandchildren were miles and on a separate but connected reservation. They don't have any status on AA. They checked in and had boarding passes in rows 4 and 5. Even at baggage check they received a second set of boarding passes and all looked good. At the gate just before boarding their names were called and they were downgraded. My wife was speaking with the gentleman in one of the seats they previously held boarding passes for and he had been upgraded to business (we don't know when). So it appears that not selling those 8 seats does not guarantee that there will not be downgrades.

Last edited by Jeff_in_phoenix; Mar 21, 2019 at 6:25 pm
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jeff_in_phoenix
We flew CDG-DFW yesterday. Our tickets were paid business but the grandchildren were miles and on a separate but connected reservation. They don't have any status on AA. They checked in and had boarding passes in rows 4 and 5. Even at baggage check they received a second set of boarding passes and all looked good. At the gate just before boarding their names were called and they were downgraded. My wife was speaking with the gentleman in one of the seats they previously held boarding passes for and he had been upgraded to business (we don't know when). So it appears that not selling those 8 seats does not guarantee that there will not be downgrades.
Since March I notice there is quite a mess on B788 in AA European network. Some flights are 20J and some are 28J. The winter period of 28J sold as 20J is now a mix of 20J and 28J planes. So you never know which one is operated by 20J or 28J. I guess the mess will continue until AA knows exactly what to do with its B788 fleet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.