Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Redeemed AA miles for QF domestic J award and bumped to Y

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:36 am
Original Poster

1. Dealing with the situation of being bumped from J to Y on a QF domestic flight, redeemed through AA using AA points. I've been reading about the compensation and it only talks about refunding the cost of the ticket. How does that work where the ticket is a redemption ticket through an alliance partner? Thank you.

2. I have further QF domestic flights in J coming up, also redeemed through AA using points. What is the likelihood QF will bump one or more of our party again?

Thanx
Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by BKKRAP
1. Dealing with the situation of being bumped from J to Y on a QF domestic flight, redeemed through AA using AA points. I've been reading about the compensation and it only talks about refunding the cost of the ticket. How does that work where the ticket is a redemption ticket through an alliance partner? Thank you.

2. I have further QF domestic flights in J coming up, also redeemed through AA using points. What is the likelihood QF will bump one or more of our party again?

Thanx

1. Ideally you'd need to speak to AA who would "refund" the points difference between the cost of a Business Class and Economy Class reward seat.

2. Hopefully not that likely. Compared to the states bumping isn't that common and it sounds more like a one off.

Out of curiosity, what route and date were you traveling... When traveling on busy flights during peak times overbooking can happen and as a partner redemption ticket, you'd be one of the first on the list to go.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by henrus
1. Ideally you'd need to speak to AA who would "refund" the points difference between the cost of a Business Class and Economy Class reward seat.
Not sure how I'll go with AA. How will they even know I was bumped?

Originally Posted by henrus
Out of curiosity, what route and date were you traveling.
It happened recently from Brisvegas to Perth. On an upcoming flight there are 4 in our party, all on the same booking. The plane has been changed from a 330 to a 737, so I'm getting nervous as our AA FF booking is taking up one third of the business seats!
Old Feb 2, 2019, 12:37 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
[mod hat] As this is about redeeming AA miles I am moving this to the AA forum. [/mod hat]

AA will know that you have been bumped if you show them your boarding pass.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 2:42 pm

I’m sorry I can’t help but did QF not offer you anything at the airport? Or by “bumped” do you mean you haven’t flown and there’s an involuntary downgrade?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Interested in your routes and dates since we have QF flights on AA awards coming up this month.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 5:27 pm
THR

It happened recently from Brisvegas to Perth. On an upcoming flight there are 4 in our party, all on the same booking. The plane has been changed from a 330 to a 737, so I'm getting nervous as our AA FF booking is taking up one third of the business seats!
I would seriously see if you can try and shift to a different flight. There is a massive difference in J between the 737 and 330.
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Brisvegas
Things I learned today: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk...svegas_archive
Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by THR
I would seriously see if you can try and shift to a different flight. There is a massive difference in J between the 737 and 330.
Agree. I had the opposite happen to me for MEL-CNS. Booked for a B737 and the aircraft was upguaged to an A330, with lie-flat seats (plus the cabin is far larger).

Definitely try to get a different flight.
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The answer to OP's question is that there is no compensation, but rather a refund of the fare difference. In this case that is in miles and will be handled by AA. AA, as the ticketing carrier, will know you have been downgraded from its own records which will have been updated by the operating carrier.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:39 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
AA will know that you have been bumped if you show them your boarding pass.
AA can also reference your Qantas record (they may not have access to all the history/notes, but they'll have enough to initiate research/review what transpired with Qantas). I have no idea what specific compensation or mileage refund you might get, but you should definitely pursue with AA.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
AA will likely refund the mileage difference between a J and Y award. They’ll likely up just need to see a copy of your boarding pass showing that you flew in Y. You can separately pursue compensation from QF for the involuntary downgrade. Suggest posting on QF forum for how best to pursue this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.