FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Redeemed AA miles for QF domestic J award and bumped to Y (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1954274-redeemed-aa-miles-qf-domestic-j-award-bumped-y.html)

BKKRAP Feb 2, 2019 7:36 am

Redeemed AA miles for QF domestic J award and bumped to Y

1. Dealing with the situation of being bumped from J to Y on a QF domestic flight, redeemed through AA using AA points. I've been reading about the compensation and it only talks about refunding the cost of the ticket. How does that work where the ticket is a redemption ticket through an alliance partner? Thank you.

2. I have further QF domestic flights in J coming up, also redeemed through AA using points. What is the likelihood QF will bump one or more of our party again?

Thanx

henrus Feb 2, 2019 7:57 am

Originally Posted by BKKRAP (Post 30731015)
1. Dealing with the situation of being bumped from J to Y on a QF domestic flight, redeemed through AA using AA points. I've been reading about the compensation and it only talks about refunding the cost of the ticket. How does that work where the ticket is a redemption ticket through an alliance partner? Thank you.

2. I have further QF domestic flights in J coming up, also redeemed through AA using points. What is the likelihood QF will bump one or more of our party again?

Thanx

1. Ideally you'd need to speak to AA who would "refund" the points difference between the cost of a Business Class and Economy Class reward seat.

2. Hopefully not that likely. Compared to the states bumping isn't that common and it sounds more like a one off.

Out of curiosity, what route and date were you traveling... When traveling on busy flights during peak times overbooking can happen and as a partner redemption ticket, you'd be one of the first on the list to go.

BKKRAP Feb 2, 2019 8:10 am

Originally Posted by henrus (Post 30731071)
1. Ideally you'd need to speak to AA who would "refund" the points difference between the cost of a Business Class and Economy Class reward seat.

Not sure how I'll go with AA. How will they even know I was bumped?

Originally Posted by henrus (Post 30731071)
Out of curiosity, what route and date were you traveling.

It happened recently from Brisvegas to Perth. On an upcoming flight there are 4 in our party, all on the same booking. The plane has been changed from a 330 to a 737, so I'm getting nervous as our AA FF booking is taking up one third of the business seats!

DownUnderFlyer Feb 2, 2019 12:37 pm

[mod hat] As this is about redeeming AA miles I am moving this to the AA forum. [/mod hat]

AA will know that you have been bumped if you show them your boarding pass.

rrgg Feb 2, 2019 2:42 pm

I’m sorry I can’t help but did QF not offer you anything at the airport? Or by “bumped” do you mean you haven’t flown and there’s an involuntary downgrade?

worldiswide Feb 2, 2019 3:37 pm

Interested in your routes and dates since we have QF flights on AA awards coming up this month.

THR Feb 2, 2019 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by BKKRAP (Post 30731102)

It happened recently from Brisvegas to Perth. On an upcoming flight there are 4 in our party, all on the same booking. The plane has been changed from a 330 to a 737, so I'm getting nervous as our AA FF booking is taking up one third of the business seats!

I would seriously see if you can try and shift to a different flight. There is a massive difference in J between the 737 and 330.

platbrownguy Feb 2, 2019 6:17 pm

Brisvegas

Things I learned today: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk...svegas_archive

aztimm Feb 2, 2019 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by THR (Post 30732717)
I would seriously see if you can try and shift to a different flight. There is a massive difference in J between the 737 and 330.

Agree. I had the opposite happen to me for MEL-CNS. Booked for a B737 and the aircraft was upguaged to an A330, with lie-flat seats (plus the cabin is far larger).

Definitely try to get a different flight.

Often1 Feb 2, 2019 6:33 pm

The answer to OP's question is that there is no compensation, but rather a refund of the fare difference. In this case that is in miles and will be handled by AA. AA, as the ticketing carrier, will know you have been downgraded from its own records which will have been updated by the operating carrier.

NYC Flyer Feb 2, 2019 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer (Post 30731895)
AA will know that you have been bumped if you show them your boarding pass.

AA can also reference your Qantas record (they may not have access to all the history/notes, but they'll have enough to initiate research/review what transpired with Qantas). I have no idea what specific compensation or mileage refund you might get, but you should definitely pursue with AA.

SFO_FT Feb 2, 2019 7:01 pm

AA will likely refund the mileage difference between a J and Y award. They’ll likely up just need to see a copy of your boarding pass showing that you flew in Y. You can separately pursue compensation from QF for the involuntary downgrade. Suggest posting on QF forum for how best to pursue this.